Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: Re:

Post by steelsnake00 »

shanecorner wrote:
steelsnake00 wrote:
darknight788 wrote:ok youn guys got all these small little 4 bangers with huge amounts of power. dont they have to be rebuilt after so many miles. or are the engines beefed up that much
Beefed up. Damn, fiancially, 1000bhp from the straight-6 BMW engines, and 750bhp+ from the 4-bangers, is suprisingly enough, actually alot cheaper than you'd imagine. 1000bhp for ~£30000 including buying the car...
Besides, holding an engine together isn't that difficult ;)
Whatever about BMW but the Lamborghini is the best one. No one can beat if She/he is a good driver. That is the best one for my view. And now a days the one in to that that is Concept and Embolado that both are good one.
1) 5 month resurrection?
2) 5 month resurrection for THAT? =D> #-o I can't even understand what your saying- to me it sounds like "In my point of view no-one could beat a Lamborghini driver, because I think they're the best". Which is such utter rubbish I get an urge to slap you.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Favorite Car?

Post by Kaerar »

steelsnake00 wrote:There's loads of Jap cars on the roads here in the UK. Besides, have you ever been in an RX-7? I was in a race-specification, not-road-legal E36 M3 last year in Germany on the 'ring (a pretty bumpy, uneven track) and it was far more comfortable than an RX-7 is on the motorway.

It's almost as if Mazda neglected to fit suspension to the rear of the car at all...
Err which RX-7 are you talking about? I have an FC3S and it's one of the most direct and stable handling cars I've had or driven. Better than the STI WRX's I've been in and it's RWD not AWD. Wasn't too bumpy even with Zeal suspension (getting Tein in it soonish). I need to check out the FD3S though as I haven't been in one of them and they have less space for turrets and such like ;)

Getting another FC3S though as I prefer them to the FD. All I need to do is get the Panels smoothed out with subtle bumpers and skirts to make it look just as new and fresh as the current crop of cars ;)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:Err which RX-7 are you talking about? I have an FC3S and it's one of the most direct and stable handling cars I've had or driven. Better than the STI WRX's I've been in and it's RWD not AWD. Wasn't too bumpy even with Zeal suspension (getting Tein in it soonish). I need to check out the FD3S though as I haven't been in one of them and they have less space for turrets and such like ;)

Getting another FC3S though as I prefer them to the FD. All I need to do is get the Panels smoothed out with subtle bumpers and skirts to make it look just as new and fresh as the current crop of cars ;)
Have driven a stock (besides map) FD and a worked over FC. The FC was more managable and actually, in terms of driving dynamics, felt the more stable car (though it was coilovered, caged, braced and running a big single turbo conversion, which might go some way towards explaining that.)

The FD was a nightmare- on rough UK B-roads there was terrible skip from the rear end, quite a lot of front end dive in cornering..it was jittery and snappy, extremely loud and bone-crunchingly hard. In fact it felt ike it had been cronically heavily sprung at the rear, and had no spring weight over the front wheels. Rear axel skip and cornering dive at 60+mph on twisty roads does not inspire confidence.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

steelsnake00 wrote:Have driven a stock (besides map) FD and a worked over FC. The FC was more managable and actually, in terms of driving dynamics, felt the more stable car (though it was coilovered, caged, braced and running a big single turbo conversion, which might go some way towards explaining that.)

The FD was a nightmare- on rough UK B-roads there was terrible skip from the rear end, quite a lot of front end dive in cornering..it was jittery and snappy, extremely loud and bone-crunchingly hard. In fact it felt ike it had been cronically heavily sprung at the rear, and had no spring weight over the front wheels. Rear axel skip and cornering dive at 60+mph on twisty roads does not inspire confidence.
Very true, the FD is a smooth road car, not a UK B-Roader without modification. Plus due to the constraints of the chassis the suspension is a lot stiffer and less compromising than the FC. I personally hate the feeling of the FD over the FC. Though you need to remove the passive rear steer or it gets a bit feisty at the limit and unpredictable when drifting. Oddly enough the FD is also heavier than the FC, but hey it's got more power and a much better tuned engine, thought the inlets of the FC are a better design as they had to compromise the shape in the FD.

I find it odd that it was loud though as it has one of the best aerodynamic coefficients about even now. Perhaps it wasn't an entirely straight example ;)

Personally I want to stick the FD turbo setup and map on an FC kouki motor and run up to about 400Bhp with the much smoother turbo setup. The better solution which is going to take a year or two is getting a petrol or diesel quasiturbine going and running that in the car. 500Bhp from a 600cc motor :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:Very true, the FD is a smooth road car, not a UK B-Roader without modification. Plus due to the constraints of the chassis the suspension is a lot stiffer and less compromising than the FC. I personally hate the feeling of the FD over the FC. Though you need to remove the passive rear steer or it gets a bit feisty at the limit and unpredictable when drifting. Oddly enough the FD is also heavier than the FC, but hey it's got more power and a much better tuned engine, thought the inlets of the FC are a better design as they had to compromise the shape in the FD.

I find it odd that it was loud though as it has one of the best aerodynamic coefficients about even now. Perhaps it wasn't an entirely straight example ;)

Personally I want to stick the FD turbo setup and map on an FC kouki motor and run up to about 400Bhp with the much smoother turbo setup. The better solution which is going to take a year or two is getting a petrol or diesel quasiturbine going and running that in the car. 500Bhp from a 600cc motor :D
It wasn't tyre/wind noise, it was the crashyness of the rear suspension over even the smallest of bumps. It should have been a pretty decent example as it was a late grey import with only a few thousands miles on it. The thing that made me laugh about the guy who owned it was his constant claiming that it was a 1300cc engine. True, but 2 cycles per 1 of a normal 4-stroke motor means 2600cc displacement per stroke, putting them about bang-on power with an equivalent size V6. Less torque but less weight, worse fuel economy, oil usage and lower reliability, but a lower centre of gravity too. Interesting engines, though not exactly a favourite of mine.

I can't remember where it was, but I saw a gas turbine powered car (well turboshaft, not strictly a gas turbine)- one of the engines from a Lynx heli if memory serves me rightly. The thing to remember with gas turbines is 1) Huge amounts of heat produced, 2) A lot of weight for a given displacement and probably most importantly 3) They're designed to be run at 100% for 4/5ths of their life and to be rebuilt every few thousand hours.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

steelsnake00 wrote:It wasn't tyre/wind noise, it was the crashyness of the rear suspension over even the smallest of bumps. It should have been a pretty decent example as it was a late grey import with only a few thousands miles on it.
Ah you didn't say that originally. If it had stock suspension, ditch it and get some good coilovers. If it had aftermarket he may have had it too much like a drift car at the back (really high poundage) which leads to them being skittish and unpredictable. Would also explain the front dive if the fronts were originals with the rears replaced or collapsed ;)
steelsnake00 wrote:The thing that made me laugh about the guy who owned it was his constant claiming that it was a 1300cc engine. True, but 2 cycles per 1 of a normal 4-stroke motor means 2600cc displacement per stroke, putting them about bang-on power with an equivalent size V6. Less torque but less weight, worse fuel economy, oil usage and lower reliability, but a lower centre of gravity too. Interesting engines, though not exactly a favourite of mine.
That's why the get called 2.6l over in the UK rather than their true 1.3l displacement. The power is actually far in excess of 2.6 V6 seeing as the FD based motors can reliably hit 550Bhp tuned. The 3 rotor's go reliably up to 700/800Bhp and can with money no object go northwards of the 1000Bhp mark.

The less weight is one of the major advantages, but the needing oil was a bit of a problem in the beginning. However Mazda have found a solution to the torque issue as the new 1.6l twin rotor doesn't lack the torque of an equivalent V8 (3.2l V8) as the torque increases as the rotor width increases. Things look very strong for the 2.4l triple rotor version (4.8 V8's watch out...) as the torque is said to be astronomical (thing AMG levels).
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Ahh, but that's comparing apples with oranges. The stock power output of a TT FD RX7 is what, 265bhp? That's about the same as a similar era 2.6 Turbo motor, like, say, the B5 Audi S4 engine. Now they produce 265bhp in standard trim, map/exhaust/wastegate spring to 345+ and will push more than 600bhp on standard internals. On twin Garrett GT's they'll push 750+whp with rods and pistons and a full "built" 650whp engine can be constructed (if you a dab hand with a spanner) for about £6k. North of 1000 wheel horsepower has been done before, money no object- and reliably too. There's a guy over in the states running one as a daily driver (3.0 stroked block with 2.8 30v heads and twin Disco Potatos) that produces 900whp and pulls a quarter mile in the low-mid 9's on street tyres. He's put about 15k on it in 2 years and the only things that have broken are the synchros on 1st and 2nd gear (900whp AWD launches will do that) and the rear axel (see previous)

What I'm saying is that you can't really compare a twin turbo rotary to an N/A V6. The N/A rotaries are less powerful than a well-built V-motor and besides the lightness have no advantages over it at all. The turbo rotaries can be built to produce big power, or to be reliable, but it takes a hell of a lot of work to produce both- hence why so many big power RX7s are just dyno queens and run about 1/2 their maximum boost when used on the street.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Very true on all accounts there, however that B5 is a beast of an engine, you had to pick the cream of the crop ;)

Thing is though you need to remember one thing when Rotaries are concerned. They haven't had 1/10th of the R&D that piston engines have. Considering it's only recently that Mazda worked out how to get torque into their motor's I think they have done pretty well over the last 30 odd years. The 787B at Le Mans proved that well enough back in '92 as well.

Anyway I'm now hunting for my next car, which will be another RX-7, though this time I am doing things differently. Seeing as I already have a spare motor I'll get the one in it mapped on a motec ECU (when funds allow) and if anything goes south I have a backup. Not going to do too much internally other than to make things more reliable and run cooler. While all that's happening and it's being used as a costly daily driver, I am going to go speak to an engineering firm I know and build a prototype twin Rotor Quasiturbine using the water and oil jackets of the Rotary as a basis for cooling, etc...
Then when that's done will shove it in my old chassis and test it :)

Seeing as the Rotary runs 2:1 vs a normal piston engine, the quasiturbine should be very interesting at 4:1 ;)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Sounds like a plan. My next car is going to be something mad and track-ready seen as I'm getting my national Group B license later in the summer and want to get into club-level motorsport. Thinking of building up another Corrado, this time a G60 with an Eaton blower and big-valve head. Stripped down, lightweight bodywork and circa 250bhp/250tq, it should be around 300bhp/tonne and suitably fast on slicks to play with the M3 3.0's and RX7 N/A's you get in the 3000cc/2WD class.
LancerEvoFan0504
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by LancerEvoFan0504 »

My favorite car is a tie between the Lancer Evo 10, Audi Le Mans Quattro, and the lamborghini reventon.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

And with a LeMans Quattro you mean the R8 I guess?

Because the LMQ was never in production, it's the prototype for the R8
LancerEvoFan0504
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by LancerEvoFan0504 »

TheStig wrote:And with a LeMans Quattro you mean the R8 I guess?

Because the LMQ was never in production, it's the prototype for the R8
oops it was the R8 thanks for the reminder I always forget about that.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

@steelsnake - Sounds like a good plan, those G60's had some get up and go, though I didn't think they were that light on their feet. If you can get 300Bhp/tonne, that's a flipping good effort :)
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

Nine-Nine-Six.
Nine-Nine-Seven.

Damned Porsche Unleashed. Got me into Porsches.

Oh yeah, and the GT2.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:@steelsnake - Sounds like a good plan, those G60's had some get up and go, though I didn't think they were that light on their feet. If you can get 300Bhp/tonne, that's a flipping good effort :)
They only weigh in at about 1200kg dry, and with the heater matrix, rear seats, interior trim and air conditioning junked, the front seats replaced with lightweight buckets and the glass replaced with Lexan (all of which can be done for about £500) they'll dip under a tonne. My old VR6 was a bit heavier (was basically standard besides Comp Camps, Shimmel inlet manifold and a Miltek exhaust) but that made 220bhp on the dyno and could hang off the bumbum of a bugeye WRX STi in the twisties no problem (odd as they were quoted at 189bhp standard, perhaps another example of VW hilariosly underestimating their power figures- my mate has recently got a Scirocco R as a company car and it dyno'd at 240 at the front wheels- more than my other mates RS-specced Focus ST!)
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

LOL isn't the Scirocco R meant to only have about 200Bhp at the wheels? That makes a good case for the car then if it's that powerful compared to the brochure ;)

I had a little 205 a while back that ate M3's for breaky up to about 140mph. Had an Mi16 conversion and running about 160Bhp (not sure if that was at the wheels or flywheel). But no stock M3 could outrun it back in 2001 ;)

Mad mad mad little cars those 205's :D
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:LOL isn't the Scirocco R meant to only have about 200Bhp at the wheels? That makes a good case for the car then if it's that powerful compared to the brochure ;)

I had a little 205 a while back that ate M3's for breaky up to about 140mph. Had an Mi16 conversion and running about 160Bhp (not sure if that was at the wheels or flywheel). But no stock M3 could outrun it back in 2001 ;)

Mad mad mad little cars those 205's :D
They're a claimed 261 at the crank, but some have pulled significantly north of 240 at the wheels (I heard one of the Scirocco Owners Club cars pulled 250 at the wheels straight out of the box on a dynojet, that's about 300 crank HP given the 15% or so drivetrain loss through the front wheels. In reality they're around 270-290 at the crank, whereas Focus RSes are only dynoing at around 285 crank. This, plus the fact the Roc R is something like 200kg lighter than the Focus RS, is why they're considerably faster.

205's are fast as it is, Mi16 motor'ed ones even more so, but in a straight line they'll loose out to the E36 Evo/GT's and perhaps E30 Evo Sports and Evo II's (321/295bhp and 265/238bhp respectively). 5 grands worth of E36 M3 Evo, with about 3 grands worth of mods, will dip into the 7 minutes around the 'Ring and still remain daily drivable(ish)- but on a twisty, technical country road a well set up FWD car will hang right off the bumbum of a more powerful RWD/AWD car. Though up to 140 I am a little cynical of ;), seen as the GTi6 box that's usually dropped in with the Mi16 has very short ratios and tops out around 140 (though speedo will be saying closer to 150 I'd imagine).

As for power, 160 crank is relatively believable as from memory I think Mi16's are 170 new- 10hp drop over a few years sounds about right. 160 wheel is around 200-220 crank depending on whose dyno you look at, and for that you'd need some pretty intensive head work, individual throttle bodies and standalone management.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Yeah it was likely 160 @ flywheel then ;)

It was a stock M3 going south on the dual carriageway from Dorking in Surrey and the M3 thought he'd try to leave me behind, failed and we topped out at 140mph (speedo was rare in that it was very accurate in that 205, and yes I had checked it ;) ).

It was an E36 too, not an E30 so it was a little lardier, but still I was pretty impressed my 1600 quid 205 kept him very honest. Plus he shat a brick when the roundabout loomed up towards him at 140 :D
The lightweight 205 though quite happily took the next corner at 90mph while he was still hard on the anchors!!! Ironically I was selling the car that day and had the new buyer in the passenger seat. When we got back he immediately put a deposit on the car ;)

The motor in that car was strong and it had the longer ratio'd 1.9GTi box in it so top speed's were a little higher than GTi-6 or 1.6 boxed cars.

Though did find a bit of a special 205 here in Aussieland about a year ago. It's got a turbo'd big bore Mi16 in it which was fiddled with by the Subaru Aussie Rally team. That thing was monstrous. Really wish I had the $15K to get it...
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Kaerar wrote:It was an E36 too, not an E30 so it was a little lardier, but still I was pretty impressed my 1600 quid 205 kept him very honest. Plus he shat a brick when the roundabout loomed up towards him at 140 :D
The lightweight 205 though quite happily took the next corner at 90mph while he was still hard on the anchors!!! Ironically I was selling the car that day and had the new buyer in the passenger seat. When we got back he immediately put a deposit on the car ;)
Nice ;). I love unexpected surprises. My personal favourite was when I'd finished the build on my S2, base mapped but hadn't been properly live mapped, Garrett GTBB/KKK26 hybrid. The guys who did the base map said "oh, good for about 370bhp on this map, perhaps pushing 400 when it gets live mapped"- first thing I did was take it down to Santa Pod. Other tweaks were an RS2 rep exhaust manifold, Wegenr Engineering inlet, RS2/7A cams and a full Miltek exhaust with race cat, Spec stage II+ clutch, Porsche brakes ect ect. Straight out of the box on a damp day it pulled a 12.4 quarter mile :D with the rear seats out but all other trim in and no weight saving to speak of.

Only later when I came to have it live mapped did I realise why- 414bhp of the Garrett hybrid on the live map! It ended up being about 430 crank when fully mapped up- not bad for a £3k car (albeit with about £3k's worht of mods) that was suffering from boost spiking due to having too small a wastegate spring.
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Nice surprise ;)

Currently on the lookout for a cheapish RX-7 FC S5 with as stock an engine as possible. I just wish I could have driven/raced half the cars you have. Not normally given to envy, but in this case I envy you ;)
^Speed 12^
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ^Speed 12^ »

At the moment, my favourite car has to be the Porsche 911 GT3 RS! 8-)

My uncle had one for a few days and took me for a drive in it! It was a 2007 oakley edition with an in-car sequential gearbox :P

Pretty awesome machine ;)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

^Speed 12^ wrote:At the moment, my favourite car has to be the Porsche 911 GT3 RS! 8-)

My uncle had one for a few days and took me for a drive in it! It was a 2007 oakley edition with an in-car sequential gearbox :P

Pretty awesome machine ;)
Unless I'm very much mistaken, the GT3 RS never came with the PKD gearbox. Some of the Oakley kit is awesome though.
^Speed 12^
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ^Speed 12^ »

Thats what I mean, I can't find any other one which has that gearbox.

The actual car is up for sale now on pistonheads: http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/1882359.htm
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

why do they call it a In-car sequential gearbox, do they also have a outside of car gearbox?
^Speed 12^
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ^Speed 12^ »

I have no idea why they call it that! :P I highly doubt they'll be an 'out of car' gearbox though! :P unless maybe its on a motorbike? :D

I think the proper name for it is Sequential Manual Gearbox. Not sure.

Return to “The Cars”