Bugatti Veyron

Discuss your favourite cars, racing or non-racing
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That it is, but you can do that on a circuit track, as well. You can do what you can on a drag strip on a circuit, but you can't do all of what you can do on a circuit on a drag strip.

Granted, American muscle and Euro-tuners both have their strong and weak points, but for sheer value and bang for your buck, American muscle just isn't that great of a choice. If you dump the same amount of money into both classes, the Euro-tuners will almost always come out on top. The Euro-tuners already have both speed and agility down, while the majority of American muscle seem to focus solely on the speed. You'll have to spend more money modifying an American muscle to compete with a Euro-tuner, in most cases.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

who knows maybe if i lived in europe somewhere i would like euro cars. yea i suppose you could stop in the middle of a track and do a couple launches :lol: problem is i know of only one track around here and that is for stock car racing and it is about 2-3 hours away ... no thanks. so that leaves me with alot of open road if i had to pick a car to go screaming down those roads it would be either a modern muscle car or an exotic.
i dont know about where you live but european cars around here are seen as big expensive luxury cars with big engines and all but too heavy to really do anything
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

:? shiznit talk about off topic
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

well the veyron topic cant be anymore dead there just isnt anything more to say about it .... so tracks and whatnot sound good
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

Well normally a mod would lock by now thats all.. :)
Mopar_Muscle
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mopar_Muscle »

Rox made the comment earlier about the AC version of the Cobra not being able to compete with European Cars. The AC version might not be, because it is somewhat different than the original Shelby version. The Shelby Cobra boasts great track preformance, as well as drag preformance, because the car is like the overpowered, slightly bigger brother of the Caterham 7 from England.

Anyway though, the reasoning behind the fact that Euro cars are better in some reguards than American cars, is the fact that the American mentality is for top end speed and muscle. If you look at most cars in America, have large, and somewhat overpowere engines, while European cars have smaller, and moreefficient engines. Americans don't race as much as Europeans either, meaning Europeans generally try to make street legal race cars.
Sig In Progress haha.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Actually, the Shelby Cobra is pretty much the exact same as the AC Cobra except for two things:

1) the AC Cobra came first.
2) the Shelby Cobra is around about 50-70hp more powerful, depending on what Mark AC Cobra it's dealing with.

On the second part, American cars have large, overpowered engines. However, the "overpowered" engines don't give the speed that matches the power. Say for example, the original Dodge Viper GTS. That was a massive, 450hp+ motor, yet its top speed was only 250km/h, or about 155mph. To put it into perspective, the 1999 Subaru WRX STi could match it in top speed, and that was only running a 4-pot engine almost half the size and half the power of the Viper's engine. There is a lesson to learn about this write-up. Large, powerful engines DO NOT make a basis for fast cars. It is really only when you match a powerful engine with a low weight that gives a fast speed. Sometimes this isn't the case, but most of the time it is.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Sure, plant it on a drag strip and a muscle car will absolutely flog the Euro cars
Unlikely, some of the US cars have too much torque, making launching very difficult. Put the same driver in a Vette and an RS4, and Id put money on the RS4 coming out on top every time.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

There are barely any US cars even dipping into the 12 seconds on a quarter mile standard. There are many European cars doing so as standard.

I'm afraid, darknight, US cars are good for one thing, and that's the sound. And even then, stuff like the BMW M5/6, M3 CSL, Audi RS4 and Mercedes CLK63 sounds better anyway. US cars are usually nose-heavy, overtorqued, underpowered, sluggish, slow revving, unreliable, stodgy handling, suffer from body roll, are more expensive, thirstier, and worse build than their European counterparts, the only reason to buy one is patriotism.

I rest my case.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:Unlikely, some of the US cars have too much torque, making launching very difficult. Put the same driver in a Vette and an RS4, and Id put money on the RS4 coming out on top every time.
I suppose. If you get a good launch though, the Vette would probably win. 9 times out of 10 though, yeah, you're right.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

The RS4 will hit mid 12s for £50k. Its also a very comfortable 4 seater saloon, and is AWD. For an extra £20k, you can have the Vette. With a racing driver in perfect conditions, it will run the quarter 3 tenths faster, be horrible to drive on the road...
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

BTW how much does a viper RT10 go 4 roughly?
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

about 80K, and like it or not the simple fact is it is all about preference what may ride horrible to one person may ride great to another.

and to clear some things up the rs4 has been tested 0-60 in 4.8 seconds and a quarter mile at 13.3. while a z51 corvette will go 0-60 in 4.3 seconds and a quarter mile in 12.7 and a z06 will do 0-60 in 3.5 seconds and a quarter mile in 11.5.though a RS6 will do a little better than the z51 corvette with 4.3 seconds 0-60 and 12.6 1/4 mile (C&D)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Ok, so the RS4 is slower 0-60 and over a 1/4ml, yet still managed to get an 8 second faster Nurburgring time despite having 120 less HP, weighing more and costing £30k less.
It really, really must be a bag of sh*t handling wise.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

:-s which car had 540 hp ? look the corvette was not meant to run on the nurburgring the audi focuses more on handling over sheer acceleration though it still has a good amount of power for a small engine. the z51 vette which has 10 more HP was made more for acceleration or stop light racing and reviews have said repeatedly that it is a car that can be driven to work everyday.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The Corvette was designed for fat patriotic Americans to tempt them away from buying Porsches and Ferraris on the grounds that, on paper at least, the Corvette was just as fast.
Whereas in reality it's a bag of shiznit.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

Lol this European VS American stuff is nver gonna end.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

It never has, just like the US vs EU "who won the war" thing.
Except in that case, they're both wrong. It was the USSR.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

we can keep going around and around in circles about this whole US vs. EU thing but Glopaticki is right it will never end. atleast not until both sides start going after each other
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

Agree to disagree??? Or maybe u have already done that
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

im good,im just watching out for BS facts
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

On the subject of Nurburgring times, lets change the subject again, because that's what this topic has done the past week, and talk about the fastest Nurburgring times. What has the Bugatti Veyron got on the 'Ring?
Mopar_Muscle
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Mopar_Muscle »

have they ran it there yet? I didn't know they had
Sig In Progress haha.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

Hasn't ran the ring. And I can't see it beating the Radical SR4 even when it does, or the high-BHP ultimas. Some of them are running 800+bhp/ton out of the factory, and the Veyron for all it's 1001bhp does have the slight problem of a high kerb weight.
Glopaticki
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Glopaticki »

steelsnake00 wrote:Hasn't ran the ring. And I can't see it beating the Radical SR4 even when it does, or the high-BHP ultimas. Some of them are running 800+bhp/ton out of the factory, and the Veyron for all it's 1001bhp does have the slight problem of a high kerb weight.
Just the slight 2 tone plus its gotta lug around and its the length of a focus!

Return to “The Cars”