Hyundai Genesis Coupe
79%

Total votes: 14

Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Pick me a winner!

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I'm moving to Korea, my Uncle decided to get me a car, since I will be doing alot of driving between Seoul, Daegu and Pohang. I have a choice of 4 Hyundai models.

Genesis Coupe

Azera

Genesis Sedan

Elantra
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Pick me a winner!

Post by boganbusman »

Do you even need to ask? Get the Genesis coupe. Then drift it into a tree. One less Hyundai on the roads makes the world a better place.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

boganbusman wrote:Do you even need to ask? Get the Genesis coupe. Then drift it into a tree. One less Hyundai on the roads makes the world a better place.
Wow, that's pretty harsh, gonna ignore it because its completely obvious that you have a deep seeded hatred towards Hyundai.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

If you had to work on Hyundais everyday you might feel the same.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Damn, Bogan. Double slams.... :P
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

boganbusman wrote:If you had to work on Hyundais everyday you might feel the same.
bad mechanic? :lol:

edit: I pretty much won't be doing much to it other than pumping gas, checking fluid levels and mashing pedals. Working on it won't be my problem! oh yea.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Um, ok. Thanks.

Mechanics complain about cars when they are poorly designed. This usually means they are harder to fix and/or they need to be fixed more often. I think that's enough to turn anyone off. Don't even mention how bad they are to drive.

Just because you're going to live in Korea, that doesn't mean you have to buy a freakin' Korean car.
To be fair, a new Hyundai shouldn't be too much of a problem. Just don't plan on keeping it for more than a couple of years.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:
boganbusman wrote:Do you even need to ask? Get the Genesis coupe. Then drift it into a tree. One less Hyundai on the roads makes the world a better place.
Wow, that's pretty harsh, gonna ignore it because its completely obvious that you have a deep seeded hatred towards Hyundai.
So does 99.99% of all the other people who own one for more than a month. You're pretty much going to get the exact same answer unless it's from somebody who doesn't even know what a Hyundai is. That said though Hyundai is considered the "best" Korean brand. That's certainly not saying much. The best out of those is the Genesis or the Genesis Coupe, because it's the successor to the Tiburon which isn't actually as bad as the rest of that poorly made drivel Hyundai makes 10 billion of every day.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

My dad got a Hyundai something-or-other (Elantra, I think) as a rental car, a while back, while his truck was in the shop. When I went to take it for a drive, I opened the door and it felt like I was going to rip the door handle off. The interior was low quality; poor fit and finish and made of hard plastic. Driving it wasn't any better - very sluggish and unresponsive. Not fun at all to drive and I had high hopes for Hyundai, until then. :(

By the way, none of your links work.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

boganbusman wrote:If you had to work on Hyundais everyday you might feel the same.
Oh jeez. Cab companies here just bought a fleet of diesel Hyundai Sonata's! Haha! I gotta admit though, I've heard tons of problems regarding Korean manufactured cars, not just Hyundai's.

But I gotta say, sitting at the passenger side of the Sonata is pretty darn good! The ride quality is decent, gear change is smooth, and top speed is about 220 km/h (about 120 mph).

But back to the poll, the Genesis Coupe seems to be the most good looking out of the bunch. I say, get that. :)
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The Genesis Coupe is a good looking car, its rear-drive and has been compared favourably to the G35 and G37. Take the badge off and I'd certainly pick one over a 370Z or, god forbid, a Mustang.

Thing is though, it might be pretty and good to drive...but it's still a band new car and getting something less than around 2 years old is essentially the same as getting a big pile of cash, and setting fire to it.

Get a second-hand E90 BMW 3-series. $22k (the price of the Genesis in the 'States, imagine it's a bit less in S. Korea) will get you a good, 3-year-old 320i M-sport with a big spec list. Or a Mk5 Golf GTi, if you can track one down. They're only £8k round here for a mid milage, 06 model.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

And steelsnake suggests an M3. Raise your hand if you're surprised. :lol:
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

If you don't care much about room or taking passengers in reasonable comfort with you, go with the Coupe.
xHaZxMaTx wrote:And steelsnake suggests an M3. Raise your hand if you're surprised. :lol:
Don't see where he mentioned it.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Ah, 3-series, my bad. Still, not surprised. :P
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

xHaZxMaTx wrote:Ah, 3-series, my bad. Still, not surprised. :P
I'm a German car nut, so shoot me :P. Better than a genesis
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Genesis Coupe. Great car, as far as I can tell, but I imagine it'd be a bit... er, "plush" for my tastes. Then again, most new cars are. Too much chrome, plastic, and space between the exterior door panel and interior panels. :P
RazTaz11
Ricer
Ricer

Post by RazTaz11 »

Genesis Coupe.
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

I hope you haven’t bought anything yet.

I agree entirely with Bogan here. That poll is like choosing between 4 different diseases.
Although I’ve never worked on a car like Bogan has, I did spend a year and a half completely cleaning and detailing cars. Every time any sort of Korean car popped up onto my daily schedule, I ended up having a terrible experience. They’re utterly horrible... filled with nasty plastic, and drive worse then the chair I'm sitting on. They don’t quite stand the test against time either. Sorry... but it's just my personal opinion.

Do they sell Japanese cars in Korea? :)
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I'm not a mechanic or a car detailer and I just find them hateful cars altogether. Especially the P-platers who rice the Excels up....*shudders*. There's three riced Excels driving around and ALL of them look increasingly ugly. One person thought that mixing a solid purple flame along the side of a yellow Excel would actually look half-decent.

That said, the only Hyundai and indeed the only Korean car that I like is the Tiburon. But unfortunately that too comes with all the shortcomings of wearing that hideous badge.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

jacoja06 wrote:I hope you haven’t bought anything yet.
Nope, having some family health concerns so I decided not to go for now, maybe in a few months.

Do they sell Japanese cars in Korea? :)
Yes, but if I were to get one of the above cars, it wouldn't be the cheapest version of them. The quality of the Genesis almost rivals a Mercedes, almost. :lol:
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

Cpt.Razkit wrote:Nope, having some family health concerns so I decided not to go for now, maybe in a few months.

Sorry to hear. Hope everything turns out OK.
Cpt.Razkit wrote:Yes, but if I were to get one of the above cars, it wouldn't be the cheapest version of them. The quality of the Genesis almost rivals a Mercedes, almost. :lol:
From a few youtube videos I’ve seen, I must admit the quality of the Genesis doesn’t look too bad. Ok… pretty good, I’d hate to admit.
How does the depreciation/resale value of a Japanese car and Korean car compare in Korea?

I'm keen to save you from yourself :P

Return to “The Cars”