[ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ]

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Re: [ ZEROGÔKI : 零号機 ] turbo build starts pg.4 beware lotsa pics

Post by steelsnake00 »

I still say sandblasting is the only way to get that cack off...
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Actually it's not too bad at the moment. I managed to get most of it out with the help of a bottle brush. Soaking it again just to get the last little bits, although I would be happy to use it as is.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Well my 3 weeks of paid "holidays" are over. Still have another 2 weeks saved up but the boss wants me back at work -_-
After a bit of discussion we decided that eack week I'll work 3 days and have 2 days off. This will stretch out my remaining annual leave for another 5 weeks . . .

I spent the whole day today trying to get the front back together.

There were previously two fans on the radiator, although one was for the a/c system so I removed it (non a/c MR2s only come with one fan). However the shroud had a gap left in the side so I made up a little plate to block it off.

Modifying the radiator supports.

All fitted, fans wired up and ready to go.

The radiator needed to be leant back slightly so I slotted the bolt holes.

Mounts for the other radiator. There is some rubber between the tab and the bracket, bit hard to see since everything is black.

The front metal cover support piece thing wouldn't fit over the new thermo fans, so I had to trim a huge chunk out of it. This lead me to realise two major problems:

1. the bonnet/hood latch mounts onto the part where I cut out. I didn't realise this until afterwards, but the fans would have gotten in the way regardless. Looks like I need to hit up the local race shop and get some bonnet pins.

2. the new radiator is too tall and hits the bonnet/hood. firetruck

I cut through the reinforcement skin and luckily that gave me enough clearance. Phew. (it was hitting the radiator cap)

Alright, it closes all the way!

Also my engine will be ready to pick up on Friday :) More pics then
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Collected the engine yesterday :mrgreen: <-- I'm not actually smiling like that, the machine work cost a fortune.
Started assembly this morning . . .

Forgot to show this pic before. I sprayed the intercooler black, but when I did the second coat it went all wrinkly and weird. The effect looks kinda cool actually, so I'm gonna leave it like that. Stuck on a Toyota badge for extra coolness. The inlet/outlet on this cooler are 3 inches in diameter (yeah, its big!).

This is like when you buy meat from the market.

Very expensive meat.

Mmmm sexy. The block and head were decked on a CNC machine to make it as smooth as possible. This is required if you want to use an MLS headgasket like I am.

Intalled ARP main studs and torqued down the crank. The bearings are ACL Race Series, 0.25 over for the mains and standard size for the rods.

My new OEM 8.9:1 4AGZE pistons. You can see the dark-grey ceramic coating on top. New OEM piston rings (not pictured), plus I have ARP bolts for the rods too.

All the pistons and rods are in.

ARP head studs installed. That's about all I got done for the day. Our shop wasn't very busy so the boss closed up early.

Next step is to plop the head on there, get the oil pump on and then I can start with all the bolt-on stuff.

More next week.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

boganbusman wrote: This is like when you buy meat from the market.

...Very expensive meat.
WIN :mrgreen:

Engine is looking great so far, can't wait to see the results when you finally put it back in! (although it may be too early to be thinking of that...)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Nope not too early, I need to get this car back together ASAP.

Layed down the Cometic 1.0mm headgasket with cylinder head on top. Head studs torqued to 60lb/ft. The machine shop worked out my compression to be exactly 9.63:1 (higher than stock, lol). They also installed my upgraded valve springs and did the valve adjustment for me.

Camshafts and rocker covers back on.

Installed the oil pump (after adding one washer to the pressure relief valve spring). At this point I realised that I forgot to paint the block. Doh

So I started doing that. This is the primer going on. Final colour will be matte black.

Sorting out my bonnet pins. Managed to get one side lined up before home time. It just needs a few rivets to hold the top part in place.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

My drycell battery finally arrived. It comes with a metal case that has no mounting tabs, so I modified it into a battery holder that can bolt into the floor. It's upside-down in this pic, ready for a quick coat of paint.

In the front boot, held down by four 10mm bolts.

Some basic straps to hold the battery in. It feels very solid and secure.

Still have plenty of room for the spare wheel.

Finished painting the block.

Intalled new water pump and other water fittings. Also put on the cam gears but I forgot the rear cover...

Rear cover on, gears back on, engine mount on, new timing belt and tensioner installed.

Front covers and harmonic balancer pulley installed. Next is the alternator but I need to go and buy a new belt first.

Riveted down my bonnet pin latches.

Bonnet closes perfectly now.

Looks tuff :)
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

So hawt.

I found a nice AW11 MR2 for sale the other day... I was extremely tempted to look into selling my car and giving an offer. It was modified (very tastefully, actually), but I'd rather find something clean and stock to start off with. And as tempted as I am to find a RWD replacement for my car, I'm too attached to the 'lude...
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Wow, you've made some really good progress...
oh snap
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Zero260 wrote:I found a nice AW11 MR2 for sale the other day... I was extremely tempted to look into selling my car and giving an offer. It was modified (very tastefully, actually), but I'd rather find something clean and stock to start off with.
I made the mistake of starting with "clean and stock" but in the end it just cost me more money. If you can buy an MR2 that already has mods (which are done properly) then I would go for it. Saves you in the long run.

Alternator on with a shiny new belt. I thought about cutting the second 'row' off the harmonic balancer pulley but it's probably better to leave it alone. As you can see it just sticks out there doing nothing, now that the A/C is removed.

Installed the 550cc injectors and fuel rail. I'm converting the feed and return lines to AN-6. Can't really show pics of the new lines until the engine goes back in the car, but it will look nice.

I am moving the starter motor to the intake side of the engine, but it interferes slightly with the coolant pipe behind the water pump. As you can see here I've bent it up slightly and slotted the bolt hole. In order to bend the pipe I heated it up with the oxy torch and that ruined the zinc-plated finish. Hence the black paint.

Installed some stainless-steel studs for the oil pan. I can't bolt on the pan yet because it needs a bit of modification first.

My rebuilt distributor was a pain to get back in. For some reason it was extremely tight-fitting and wouldn't slide in properly. I ended up buffing/sanding it lightly to reduce the diameter of the body and it finally went in . . . until it hit the ARP head stud! I grinded the end of the distributor gear and shaft to make it shorter, and that gave me just enough clearance. I could have just ground the stud shorter instead, but that would mean pulling the head off again.

Patched up that hole in the sandwich plate with some sheet metal and JB Weld.

2kg fire extinguisher. You know, just in case.

Also made my own oil catch can/breather. Bunch of plastic stuff from the hardware store and a mini breather filter from Autobarn. Total cost about $15.

I love JB Weld.

A lick of paint and bam! All done. This will illegally vent my crankcase gases to the atmoshpere, rather than feeding it back into the intake manifold. I'll mount it in the rear boot to keep it hidden :wink:

Still waiting for my goddamn exhaust manifold :twisted: That's the only thing holding me back right now.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

Frickin' MacGyver over here...
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

What's so bad about feeding the crank case gases bank into the intake manifold?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Zero260 wrote:Frickin' MacGyver over here...
:lol:
xHaZxMaTx wrote:What's so bad about feeding the crank case gases bank into the intake manifold?
There's a couple of problems. Crankcase gases contain some amount of oil mist, which is why I'm using a container to catch the oil. The stock setup just feeds it straight back in before the throttle body and this is why my manifold was completely black and cruddy inside.
The stock setup doesn't even have a PCV valve, so under boost the crankcase would become pressurised and blow my seals out. It would be simple to add a PCV valve onto the breather hose but most of the time there would be nothing flowing through it because whenever I hit boost it closes off.
So this way is just simpler and lets the crankcase breathe better, even if it makes my car (even more) illegal.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Whew, about time I updated this thing. There wasn't much going on for the last few weeks because I was still waiting for parts. Everything is here now. I think.

Test fitting my fabulous new manifold. This is made in the USA from proper 304 stainless, unlike that crappy Chinese eBay crap. I actually sold that other manifold to a fellow MR2 owner. Tee hee.

This design is based on the HKS cast manifold that is no longer available (and super rare). That means it clears everything, including the oil sandwich plate thing. Won't need to use my oil flter relocation kit anymore. I love it when parts fit properly.

As you can see, I stripped the timing belt off again. You'll see why in a sec.

Test fitting the oil feed line. That bulbous thing in the middle of the line is the stock oil pressure sender.

TechnoToyTuning adjustable cam gears. Yum.

Wound the exhaust manifold with some header wrap. I also hit it with some high-temp silicon spray (not shown) which will hopefully keep moisture out and prevent it from rotting and falling apart.

An aftermarket sandwich plate on top of the stock one. Aftermarket oil pressure and oil temp senders are mounted in there.

Made up a simple support brace for the manifold. Always a good idea to support the weight of the turbo.

Installing the windage tray and oil pickup tube. Need to let the silicon set for a while before placing the sump on top.

Mounted the fuel pressure regulator. Fuel comes in from the left after exiting the fuel rail.

And then out the bottom and back to the fuel tank. The other blue 90 degree fitting is where fuel enters the rail.

Welded and brazed a little pipe onto the sump. This is for the turbo oil return. The other hole is for the stock oil cooler return.

Installed the sump. Currently setting overnight, and I'll tighten it down in the morning.

Hard to tell from this picture but my oil drain angle totally sucks. Can't really be helped though.

Anyway, I hope to have the engine in the car and running by the end of the week. *crosses fingers*
Texhnolith
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Texhnolith »

boganbusman wrote:This design is based on the HKS cast manifold that is no longer available (and super rare). That means it clears everything, including the oil sandwich plate thing. Won't need to use my oil flter relocation kit anymore. I love it when parts fit properly.
I'd relocate if my filter was on that location. especialy if i had a relocation kit. Wont the filter (and thus oil) get really hot so close to the exhaust manifold/turbo? Noticed you are using hearwrap but still
I assume you dipped the heatwrap in water first as many seem to forget :P

Anyways, nice progress

(And yes, the BC Racing coils are great ;) love the handeling/adjustment they provide)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

The filter should be ok. I have a thick blanket for the turbine and I will wrap the downpipe too. There shouldn't be any heat escaping near the filter. Worst case scenario, I can always add an extra heatshield in-between.

With the heat wrap, I was spraying water from a bottle instead of dipping. It didn't really help though, and I still got covered in fiberglass and graphite fibres. Very uncomfortable!
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

You might need to heat shield it too. I had to shield my homebuilt catch tank on my S2 because oil temps were through the roof, the oil cooler was sat to the wrong side of the engine bay which meant it wasn't as efficiant as it should have been. Some sheet aluminium and re-wrapping the manifolds was enough to drop oil temps around 10-15°C However, you never know, engines are unpredictable things :)
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Goddamn, I was so close to having the car running on Saturday. For some reason my ECU won't pickup the signal from the igniter, and therefore it thinks the engine isn't turning (no rpm signal).

I soon as I can work that out, things will be sweet.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I demand video.
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I'll assume you're having too much fun in the fantastic world of boost to give us an update...

...and hopefully nothing bad happened.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

It would be better if something bad happened, because at least it would be something.

At the moment nothing happens. I worked out today that my injectors don't bloody work. Swapped in the old ones and the car will fire now but still not run. It's driving me insane!

edit: ok now that I've calmed down a bit, things aren't looking too bad. I should be able to get the car running on the old injectors. It just baffles me as to why the RX7 injectors don't function. They were tested a few months ago . . . maybe I need to send them away agian :(

edit2: f_ck it, I ordered some new SARD injectors. No more screwing around
Fadeproof
Professional
Professional

Post by Fadeproof »

what sort of power are u expecting? and how much boost are u going to run?
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

The target is 300hp at the wheels, and however much boost it takes to get there. I'm thinking around 15-20psi.
Fadeproof
Professional
Professional

Post by Fadeproof »

farrrk thats quick i have a vy with a raptor supercharger, cam, rockers. basic things only atm other then the charger. and its been bored out. its running 12PSi and 240rwkw. 12 is all its good for but i heard if u run 4in piping rather then the std 3in that comes with it into a larger throttle body u can push it to 14psi, not sure if its true though but its worth a shot 4 me. its quicker then the 5.7's around here but you'll leave me for dead. ur car would be alot lighter too
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

At a guess, I'd imagine that running more than 15psi would require new pistons, conrods, reinforced gasket bolts and various other internal parts.

Running 4" piping with 12psi seems a bit pointless, you get people who run 50psi on 3" pipework with no boost spiking, overpressure or any other issues.

Return to “Your Rides”