Koenigsegg_Rox's R31 GXE *Will be leaving me soon*

The forum to show off your ride - cars, motorbikes, trucks or other vehicles. Read the rules before posting your ride.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Koenigsegg_Rox's R31 GXE *Will be leaving me soon*

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Pretty much stock on the outside this is my ride atm while I have my L's: a 1988 Nissan R31 Skyline GXE.

- 3.0L V6 (RB30E)
- 4-speed Auto (yes, its auto, but at the pricfe paid for, it was an opportunity not to be missed. Perfect condition.)
- Mild sound system:
- Kenwood KVT-532DVD single-din mount head unit
- Rockford Fosgate P162C (PUNCH series) speakers; 2-way 6" in front doors, 3-way 6.5" on parcel shelf
- Rockford Fosgate PUNCH subwoofer, 12", courtesy of SIC EM XD
- Rockford Fosgate PUNCH amplifier mounted just inside boot; wired to sub
- Eclipse amp for the rear speakers (the head unit only came with 4-channels, not 6 like I needed...unlike the JVC head unit which WOULD have been in it if they did have it in stock...)

Other than that, everything else is stock. Excuse the shoddy photography, I'm not that great at it...
list of probs so far:
-There is an annoying noise that occurs when the engine starts up after me and my dad did the sound system, going to try and find a suppressor for it.
-the battery goes flat REALLY easily now :lol:
-while putting in the rear speakers my dad knocked out the tension beam for the boot so now it needs a supporting pole to keep the boot open. No biggie though.
-it is showing its age in its performance....however it does the job, thats all that matters.

Things that MIGHT be happening in the future:
new wheels (was thinking ROH Shift-R or just a simple 5-spoker like Nismo-style black or bronze)
something else XD maybe new exhaust to give it a good note.
Last edited by Koenigsegg_Rox on 01 Jul 2010, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.
Pabl0z
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Koenigsegg_Rox's R31 GXE

Post by Pabl0z »

I just gotta say... those must be the ugliest hubcaps ever :lol:
lol wut
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I know XD. They MIGHT have been cool in 1988 :lol:. Thats why I want some new wheels. The only problem is fitments cause the 4/114.3mm isn't that popular in terms of new rims. The offset isn't ideal either. ROH Shift-R is my pick at the moment because it actually fits properly according to the website. However because I don't want to pay too much for tires the largest size I'll be getting is 17"s.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

Actually a lot of cars have that stud pattern. The reason you can't find many is because most mag shops sell wheels for Falcodores, and not much else.

A lot of Jap wheels will come in that size, but they are expensive so try looking for some second-hand ones. They will look heaps better and won't really lose their value either.
Also ROH rims weigh about the same as an aircraft carrier.

If all else fails, get some Rotas :mrgreen:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

OK ty for the info much appreciated.

EDIT: I've just had a look at some mags from Lenso, something like this would look great on it IMO:

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_c ... rt_no=1204
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

What do you think of that headunit? I've been thinking about one, since Eclipse doesn't seem to make pop-out DVD/Nav systems. :?

Also, is that annoying sound a buzz from the speakers? If that's the case, did you run the power and audio wires to the amp on the same side of the car? You need to run power up one side and the audio wires up the other to avoid the buzzing on startup and when accelerating. :P

Not much I can say about your battery as speakers seem to do that alot... all I can say is make sure your alternator is in good working condition. :wink:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

no it does that even after my dad re-routed the wires. There are a couple of probs with the headunit:

-it takes quite a while to start up
-some dvds don't read on it
-I have to keep it in neutral when it comes out cause otherwise it hits the gear stick
-I had to pay 30 extra bucks to get an adapter so that I could connect my ipod :?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote: -I had to pay 30 extra bucks to get an adapter so that I could connect my ipod :?
Whoop-die-do, get an Alpine. The Eclipse bluetooth adapter is like, $60. :wink:
And can't you move it up on the dash with just a little home-made fabrication?
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I did a little research last night and if I'm going to be getting some new wheels, something like these are my best bet:

http://www.tempetyres.com.au/products_c ... rt_no=1270

AU$1200, 4 wheels, 4 tyres, and bloody nice wheels to boot, Lenzo Reizens.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

UPDATE (sort of):

I've been doing more of that "seeing into the future" stuff, and I've been looking around for a sub-10k AU car that I could possibly afford when I move up to my P's or even full license. Some of the things I have looked at:

-R33 GTS-T
-S14 Silvia
-SW20 MR2
-Z32 300ZX
-Honda CRX (possibly in the 90's "del sol" style Targa)
-Early 90's Honda Prelude

Anything out of the ordinary I should know about? At the moment my most likely paths would be the SW20 MR2 or the R33. I LOVE the SW20 MR2s, they look bloody nice and in GT spec they have a bit of poke to boot.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

As much as I love MR2s, I should tell you that SW20s are high maintenance. You really need to look after them or it won't be a great car. So it could cost you a lot if you're unlucky. I suppose this applies to turbo cars too.

CRX will give you the least amount of trouble, but then it's not the most exciting car either.

If you really want something different and know how to maintain a car, then go for the MR2 :) However the Nissans are better in terms of performance, and much more suitable for going sideways (if you care about that).
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

1st gen. Miata. Problem solved. :mrgreen:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Not really, MX5's aren't exactly that great in performance (especially 1st. gen. XD), and I would basically only have enough money to buy the car and thats it. Logic tells me to get the R33, since while its only 2-door, it's a 4-seater, and used ones in Aus with relatively low kms are a dime a dozen, but taste tells me the MR2 is still the way to go, mainly because there's only one SW20 in the Mount. R33's are quite common around here, and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Oh and for the record, I won't be getting drift anytime soon :wink:
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

First off, RB engines are I6s not V6es. lol
Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Not really, MX5's aren't exactly that great in performance (especially 1st. gen. XD), and I would basically only have enough money to buy the car and thats it. Logic tells me to get the R33, since while its only 2-door, it's a 4-seater, and used ones in Aus with relatively low kms are a dime a dozen, but taste tells me the MR2 is still the way to go, mainly because there's only one SW20 in the Mount. R33's are quite common around here, and sometimes for the wrong reasons. Oh and for the record, I won't be getting drift anytime soon :wink:
WANT SEE R33s :shock:
Really though, the Silvia is probably your best choice. I'm probably not too qualified to give advice here but still. Z32s are really expensive, Grez says SW20s are hard to maintain, R33 is awesome but may be out of your range for insurance, and if you're going for that range anyway I doubt you want a Honda. If you're not limited to the cars on your list I'd also recommend considering an IS300 (Altezza) or SC300 (Soarer JZZ30) - same engine as the Supra but probably a lot cheaper.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

I've already been told (think it was by bogan) that Soarers are expensive to maintain (not to mention it's an 8-cyl, which would probably mean worse fuel economy than my R31), and there's no IS300s going for 10k or under. I have a question. Turbo = high insurance costs for P-platers right? If thats the case, that'd narrow it down to the SW20 again (if I didn't get the turbo'd GT version that is), the CRX, a Prelude, or if possible a Silvia/180/200SX with the SR20DE motor.

Actually, this Solves pretty much every problem. Bluebird SSS, 2.4L 4-cyl, non-turbo, and if there's a spare ATTESA LTD about, 4WD 8)
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Ah, forgot about the Soarers. SC300-equivalent Soarers don't have V8s btw, they have the same engine as the Supra minus the turbo. SC400s are the ones with the V8.

Also, one other suggestion: Subaru? I'm sure WRXes probably aren't too terribly expensive, and a Legacy (Liberty in Aus, as I've heard) probably isn't either.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Nah no WRXes in that price range, only the lawn-mower spec ones :( Liberty would be nice, however the SC300/Toyota Soarer would be better. This is only speculation anyway, I won't be getting a new car for a while, some even better cars may even drop in price during this time. Thanks for the help anyway :wink:
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

bump:

Found another car to add to the "possibility" list. Lexus ES300.

There's only two problems at first glance:
a) they're only auto
b) the two-tone paint kinda ruins the "sporty-luxury" look....

But it's a 4-door, 5-seater, leather interior, sun roof, 3 litre 6 cyl, and not to mention it doesn't look like a cereal box :wink:
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Koenigsegg_Rox wrote:Actually, this Solves pretty much every problem. Bluebird SSS, 2.4L 4-cyl, non-turbo, and if there's a spare ATTESA LTD about, 4WD 8)
Hey I own this car and drive it now and then but mainly stick to my Saab.
Its a 2.4L manual.. the clutch is a bit hard and the gears stick gets funny when its hot. Apart from that, the cars absolutetly great. No rust, leather seats, full options. Great mileage too..

Ow, and i got some new custom 15" alloys on too.
prolly have a pic somewhere. :-k

EDIT here. This was when i bought it in August.
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

Yeah we had one in Burgandy, but here it's under the name Bluebird. Beautiful car to sit in and (if I was 16 before we sold it lol) beautiful to drive according to my mum. The only thing we did to it was put on some new 16" mags, and it looked pretty good after that.
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

Even though this car is more economical and reliable, i cannot resist the the Saab with its turbo ..lol :mrgreen:
The Saab has a quite a few issues, rust, bent rim and the A/C leaks at times, but the nissan is just perfect in all these areas.
I usually end up driving the nissan when is gas ridiculously high/ saab is at the garage, but i bought it for $3000, from another student who was done with his univ.

Hows, ur r31 doing..no issues like rust, etc., i hope.

Im also looking into getting a new car. Saving up a budget of around $9 -10K with shipping. Really interested in the 1999 eclipse gsx, but i havent found one thats in a reasonable condition nor do i have the money for it rite now :(
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

My R31's bang on perfect, just gave it a wash this afternoon; apart from the boot and that tappety noise everything is normal and in perfect working order. Still going strong at 265,000kms too 8)
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

@ t3ice: Uh, that's a B14 Altima, not a Bluebird (as far as I can tell).

@ topic of ES300: ES300's are FWD and basically just lightly modded Camries. I'd say you'd be better off looking for a first-gen GS300 if you wanted a cheap Lexus (GS300 = 2JZ-GE engine and RWD, even though it's auto).
Koenigsegg_Rox
Professional
Professional

Post by Koenigsegg_Rox »

=D> Bravo, the cheapest GS300 is 13,000 and looks like a piece of crap....
Striker94
Professional
Professional

Post by Striker94 »

Did you consider an older-gen Honda Civic? Or even maybe a previous Mitsubishi Lancer?
oh snap

Return to “Your Rides”