2008 Need for Speed Undercover
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Your views of NFS UNDERCOVER

Post by peterfaj »

PROS:
-good map
-fun to avoid traffic on highways (EDIT: the fun fades as it gets closer and closer to impossibility)
-fun playing with cops. And there was actually one good busted animation (When the driver hit a cop to the floor and took a police car. But he couldn't escape, because the car was between two other cars XD)
-I have a Porsche 911 GT2 :)
-Driving is just fun enough to keep me playing.
-I hear online is fun, but I couldn't test it, cause I luckily didn't buy the game. I just borrowed it.
-agressive AI
-most of the cars are nice high-end cars, which makes up for the 2nd con, cuz you mustn't customize a supercar anyway.
-pretty good car list
-smoother autosculpt
CONS:
-it takes too long to put an autosculpt bar from 0 to 100%
-it's hard or impossible to make good customized cars
-too arcadey
-you get "hit and run" even if you don't run
-pursuit breakers are done badly, same as in MW (nothing hits any cop, yet they total).
-traffic enjoys crashing into you
-stupid story, stupid acting
-bad animations (a really stupid one is when you start a race sometimes an idiot who doesn't understand something goes in front of the line sideways and then behind it, like he's supposed to. That looks so retarded.)
-hard to find shortcuts.
-Is it just me or is it really hard to turn around AI vehicles while they do it to you all the trucking time?
-Speedbreaker still changes the physics and still lowers your car's rpm.
-a Nissan 240sx can outrun a Lotus Elise
-a very bad game mode in which you have to crash into enemies
-highway battle always changes my camera to front :x
-this black-haired chick, I think her name is Rose something, the chick that likes coyotes or something, she's fugly. And her fugly face is on the screen all the trucking time. *puke*
-when paused, rims, lights and exhausts are blue. Which is bad. Really bad. And ugly.
-drivers arms stay still, even when steering.
-graphical bugs
-relatively bad graphics, well my car looks nice and sometimes the environment looks so too, but it's not that great
-yet it manages to lag sometimes
-Instead of a lot of bugs, we get deadly bugs.
-soundtrack sucks. Well, I didn't really listen to it much, I turned it off as soon as I heard a gay mexican/spanish song. After reading Bojan's post and clicking the link, I hear there are some relatively good songs in it too, but whatever.
-a bit small car list

Graphics: 6/10
Optimization: 4/10
Polished: 4/10
Gameplay: 8/10
Story: 2/10
Average would be: 4,8/10, but I'd give it
Overall: 6/10 maybe more.

Btw, what's that meter in bottom-right corner of the screen which has a weird symbol that looks like number 4 next to it? And what do those near miss and clean section points do? And what do speeding and street racing $ do? And why do they repeat?
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

I still have some problems... I tried defragmentating the drive but it didn't work. It all started up again ever since I bought a Mustang GT... especially on this master event sprint race. I tried out something which I will test to see if it works tomorrow.

Peterfaj - Those "speeding $" and red money text that appears in the left side of the screen marks the return of the ticket system in NFS. However this time the ticket system works in a different way. For every violation, you get a ticket which in turn adds on to your heat level.

Meh, I guess I'll list my pros and cons...

Nitrodemon's NFS: Undercover Pros N' Cons

Pros:

*Feel of speed. If you're playing with a Force Feedback wheel like me, the feel of speed is great.
*Car list. In my opinion, the variety of vehicles is great. A few more good vehicles and it would've been a perfect car list.
*Highway Battles. That is... until they get too hard.
*Police pursuits. The thing is, they aren't too easy to avoid and not hard to avoid. This makes an enjoyable pursuit system which doesn't get annoying unlike in MW where the police start to get really tough. Maybe if they made them a little harder...
*Pursuit breaker effects. They're good, IMO...
*Challenging AI. May get a little annoying however.
*High-performance sports cars are fun to drive.
*Stunt ramps. I like jumping off ramps to do a nice stunt.
*Stunt visuals. Whenever you jump off a stunt ramp or something, landing on the ground will cause sparks to come out from your tires.
*Roaming around the city is nice if you're in the mood.

Cons:

*Freezing problems. My only real beef about NFS: Undercover. No matter what I try, freezing problems will always show up some time.
*Over-repetitive jobs. Most of the time it's delivering a stolen car to a certain destination or immobilizing other vehicles/protect vehicles from immobilization.
*Crazy traffic. Whenever you try to steer away from a vehicle, it will sometimes steer as well just to crash into you.
*Cutscenes cannot be skipped. It's a really minor con but it would've been better if you could skip cutscenes.
*Notably inferior graphics compared to... Most Wanted, for example. Although it isn't that big of a big problem.
*Soundtrack. Ever since Most Wanted, EA Trax moved on to a more hip-hop/electronica oriented soundtrack. And since ProStreet, EA Trax moved on to a hip-hop/techno/experimental soundtrack including something heavier here and there. Undercover seems to use the same genres as ProStreet for a soundtrack.
*Texture loading. Whenever you reach a certain part of the race track or city, it must load the textures to proceed. It only takes a sec, it's nothing big at all but why can't the open world be fully loaded once and for all?
*Speedbreaker is rather inferior... it slows down your car too much.

In the end;

7/10.

As you can see, a few of my cons are minor but the freezing problems are a real problem.
Argentum47
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Argentum47 »

Hey guys, i'm just wondering how many persona can be created in Online mode,and whether we can delete them . :D
I've already created 2 of them, one's for pratice and the other is my actual personal. :D
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Why don't you just try it and find out? :?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

peterfaj wrote: -you get "hit and run" even if you don't run
LMAO. Just stay at the scene and wait for the police to arrive to assess the damage. Make sure to have your insurance ready for any claims. :lol: :lol: :lol:
korge
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Yea well don't do that. I left the game on when I went to take the shower. The car was parked (in the middle of the road though) when I left. When I came back I was busted and the car impounded :(
And it wasn't more than 15min.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Sooo.. you got busted for keeping yourself clean?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Pysically... true.. Hahah! :lol:
jacoja06
Professional
Professional

Post by jacoja06 »

I'm still not sure of what to think of this game. I hired it less then a week ago for a couple of nights (which I do for all games, before I buy) for the PS3. First off... the controls are half-decent this time. The only reason why I don't play Prostreet on PS3 anymore is mostly because to the two bogus button configuration options. But in Undercover, you get the option to use more classic controls. Which is nice.

The biggest issue I have with the game is the HORRID driving physics. It was intended to make the n00biest of drivers stay in control, but I find it damn impossible to stay on the road at times. I always turn in way too soon (as you should)... so I continuously run into the walls on the apex of the corner. It's just far, far too grippy and unrealistic (much like drifting in Juiced 2) which takes a hell of a lot of fun out of the game IMO. I enjoyed the arcadish driving in Prostreet much better.

So I was far from impressed at the beginning of the game... but I think it was really beginning to grow on me, each time I purchased a faster car. One thing I especially loved were the highway battles. Great sense of speed, and weaving between the gaps of traffic was good fun (A skill I've mastered in real life from driving on Stirling Hwy).

Races are far too easy to complete... and I couldn't see an option to select more difficulty. Catchup mode couldn't be switched off, as far as I could tell. So it never really matters if you have a big off, as you can re-join the action within the next lap (which also annoyed me). Photomode on the ps3 is complete crap, because of the poor quality of the photo's sent to EA.com (as below). Why not store the images onto a HDD, like GT4 did 3 years ago? Then we wont be stuck with low-quality 720 x 480pixil pictures from a large widescreen HD TV.

A few other positives, the graphics are not so bad, and the engines sound great... something which EA are often good at.

Overall it's a fun game, but (like all other recent NFS's), it's let down by the short development time. Spend more time to create a completed game, then I'll think of buying it.

Tetroxide
Stock
Stock

Post by Tetroxide »

People don't like nfs:uc much, it seems. I like it though. It has nice graphics and nice cars. That isn't spectacular as many games have nice graphics, but still. Open world is actually different in every area, and all of the places look pretty realistic imo. Driving isn't simulator-like, but i find it fun, as I can take a sip of coke while going down the highway. I find playing undercover relaxing, probably because I play with pad so I don't have to be sitting in a chair. Tha game isn't difficult, but you can add challenge by taking a lower spec car, or a stock car, into the race. Chases are fun as well as the officers in the radio. Unlike others, I find even the visual customisation decent. For people who don't know to buy or not to buy, try it first.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

jacoja06 wrote: I always turn in way too soon (as you should)... so I continuously run into the walls on the apex of the corner.
lol i do the same all the time! ... a "bad habit" i've gotten from GRID

but the game is meant to be unrealistic yet, realistic visually ... just not physically...

still... it's always fun to do what you can never do in real life =b
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

jacoja06 wrote:The biggest issue I have with the game is the HORRID driving physics. It was intended to make the n00biest of drivers stay in control, but I find it damn impossible to stay on the road at times. I always turn in way too soon (as you should)... so I continuously run into the walls on the apex of the corner. It's just far, far too grippy and unrealistic (much like drifting in Juiced 2) which takes a hell of a lot of fun out of the game IMO. I enjoyed the arcadish driving in Prostreet much better.
You haven't gotten into the worst part yet.. At times you won't even be able to tell the difference between a RWD and a FWD car, unless you know at the back of your head what type of transmission the cars have.

When I was playing the demo, I couldn't feel any difference driving the Audi RS4 and the M3 (or SLR McLaren; whichever it is, it was a RWD vehicle).
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Its obvious NFS has become more of a kids game than even a regular arcade game like TDU and GRID.

I dont compare UC with TDU and GRID. I compare it to Madagascar and Kung Fu Panda... :)
korge
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Maybe Sims perhaps.. The ESRB ratings seems to claim otherwise. :P
peterfaj
Drift King
Drift King

Post by peterfaj »

ESRB is wrong.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

jacoja06 wrote:The biggest issue I have with the game is the HORRID driving physics. It was intended to make the n00biest of drivers stay in control, but I find it damn impossible to stay on the road at times. I always turn in way too soon (as you should)... so I continuously run into the walls on the apex of the corner. It's just far, far too grippy and unrealistic (much like drifting in Juiced 2) which takes a hell of a lot of fun out of the game IMO. I enjoyed the arcadish driving in Prostreet much better.
Yes, that may indeed prove to be annoying. The tactic is to use speedbreaker like in MW and Carbon, however speedbreaker rapidly slows down your car, so I don't recommend it. They should fix that in their patch... hoping they release one.
EvoCrazy2008
Stock
Stock

Post by EvoCrazy2008 »

I bought the game for the PS2 and I really disappointed cause there is a load of the cars missing, I was looking forward to a whole load of cars which was new to Need For Speed, but they weren't there.

Other wise I thought the game was exactly the same as Most Wanted which was annoying, I seriously wish I didn't buy it now.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

EvoCrazy2008 wrote:I bought the game for the PS2 and I really disappointed cause there is a load of the cars missing, I was looking forward to a whole load of cars which was new to Need For Speed, but they weren't there.

Other wise I thought the game was exactly the same as Most Wanted which was annoying, I seriously wish I didn't buy it now.
shouldive rented before buying
iky10
Stock
Stock

Post by iky10 »

it seemd quite a few ppl are experiencing frame rate issues, i'm having the same issue, i hav the x1900xt, that card ran previous nfs series perfectly even at max settings, inc prostreet, now this game thinks its made with crysis engine or somthin, and it is the worst nfs car game i hav come across, nfs underground 2 is prob the best out of the bunch, now if som1 has the same card as mine, i want know if you are experiencing any issues with that card x1900xt.

my system
amd 3800-x2 @ 2.2
2GB G.Skill
x1900xt OC ( 778 core / 778 mem )
vista Ult
audigy 2
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

True indeed, I kept slamming into walls initially a LOT before a got used to the "glue-grip" cars that seem to turn on a dime. The most ridiculous driving physics in NFS games ever I think...

Other than that the game isn't all that bad for an arcade street racing game (apart from the technical issues). The streets are very wide and open though, and since the cars turn in like crazy very little need for brakes at all. The storyline, allthough very clishéd, keeps the momentum going, and the occasional "special mission" race breaks the monotonous driving somewhat. Overall I'm giving this 7/10 (given the fact that I personally don't have framerate issues).
ipar
Stock
Stock

Post by ipar »

iky10 wrote:it seemd quite a few ppl are experiencing frame rate issues, i'm having the same issue, i hav the x1900xt, that card ran previous nfs series perfectly even at max settings, inc prostreet, now this game thinks its made with crysis engine or somthin, and it is the worst nfs car game i hav come across, nfs underground 2 is prob the best out of the bunch, now if som1 has the same card as mine, i want know if you are experiencing any issues with that card x1900xt.

my system
amd 3800-x2 @ 2.2
2GB G.Skill
x1900xt OC ( 778 core / 778 mem )
vista Ult
audigy 2
hi there m8,i think i would say your problem is vista,even with my system 4600x2,2gb,ati3850.its has problems running games on vista,which is faster than your system.i went back to xp in the end.maybe you do the same and your frames per second will be better.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Morty via IRC wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...

But isn't the game called Need For SPEED, and not Need For STUPID HOLLYWOOD WANNABE STORYLINE?
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

GT3x24x7 wrote:
Morty via IRC wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong...

But isn't the game called Need For SPEED, and not Need For STUPID HOLLYWOOD WANNABE STORYLINE?
QFT =D>

Grey's Anatomy is more interesting than Undercover and I hate that show.
korge
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Yeah, if they made it better, it would be a nice touch to the game.
2fast4all
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 2fast4all »

Yes I finally beat the crappy story mode, Its only took 3 weeks (I dont play much on weekdays). That was the worst nfs story ive ever played, MW was a better one, yeah cheesy but better.

Return to “Undercover”