Legal or No?

2008 Need for Speed Undercover

Is your copy of Undercover legal or not?

My copy is strictly legal.
50%
I have an illegal copy.
38%
I don't have Undercover, but plan to buy it legally.
3%
I don't have Undercover, and plan to obtain an illegal copy.
8%

Total votes: 60

powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Legal or No?

Post by powerof1000 »

lold
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Bojan wrote:[20:44] bobo|work: you know what
[20:44] bobo|work: if people actually wanted EA to make better games
[20:44] bobo|work: they'd completely ignore the game
[20:44] bobo|work: even with pirated copies they're still contributing
[20:44] bobo|work: discussing, posting images, etc
[20:44] bobo|work: it all actually helps the game
[20:45] bobo|work: so in fact it's not about "I'm not buying the game cause I want to show them it sucks2
[20:45] bobo|work: it's more like "I'm not buying the game cause it's easier to steal it"
I didnt know we were supporting EA by not buying their product! Image

EA is out for money, not a larger fanbase (which is what you are saying). They are not some indie video game company looking for their game to get noticed and they honestly dont care how many people play it. They only care that it shows in revenue.

If 9 billion (holy shat) copies were pirated, they wouldnt care that the game was so popular, they would care that they were just robbed over a trillion dollars. Need for Speed is a Huge franchise, and as such, each new release is already given a high level of notice, so the fact that pirated games "support" EA is completely illogical and you should know that. If anything, you are mistaking support for the NFS community with support for the makers.

FYI - I downloaded the game through removed. Took 1 week to finally get all the pieces. Oops, the first time I compiled the RARs it was corrupt so I had to RE download it again. Took another week.

I dont know about you, but that was not Easier than buying it. It was just hellalot wiser. Undercover is not worth 60 USD. So to your statement, I didnt pirate it b/c it was easier. It is because I cant trust the quality of NFS games anymore. I bought Sims 2 straight up, knowing I would get a good game. NFS? Yeah right. Gotta try before you buy.

QUOTE TOTAL FAIL
korge
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Yep in the end it's all about the revenue; the larger a community the game has, the larger the sales it will generate in the end. For every X downloads, there is Y of sales. Nobody will buy a product that nobody knows about. Getting the idea?

FYI, I don't care how you illegally acquired the game. But since you did reveal it all to us (by breaking the rules of this forum even) all I can do is call you incompetent as it took you 2 weeks to do what a normal internet user can do in a few hours.

Oh and yes, it's still easier to click on a few links than actually earn the money you need to buy the game.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Bojan wrote:Yep in the end it's all about the revenue; the larger a community the game has, the larger the sales it will generate in the end. For every X downloads, there is Y of sales. Nobody will buy a product that nobody knows about. Getting the idea?
A larger market does result is more sales. Thats why EA advertises. But when EA has practically become the largest publisher in this industry, how does piracy help them? I can only agree with you as seeing piracy only as a little more publicity and as a try before you buy "demo" for people to make their opinions on buying the game.

EDIT: In comparison, I would like to add, I believe piracy stifles EAs marketing attempt of making a game look good versus making a game be good. So by playing it before shelling the cash out, I must say might hurt more than help.
Bojan wrote: FYI, I don't care how you illegally acquired the game. But since you did reveal it all to us (by breaking the rules of this forum even) all I can do is call you incompetent as it took you 2 weeks to do what a normal internet user can do in a few hours.
I thought I was vague enough. It is like the equivalent of saying the word "torrent" in this thread. Thanks for not issuing warning points though.
Bojan wrote: Oh and yes, it's still easier to click on a few links than actually earn the money you need to buy the game.
Agreed.
korge
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

What I meant is completely ignoring a game hurts sales more than illegally acquiring the game. I thought I made that clear...
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

Bojan wrote:What I meant is completely ignoring a game hurts sales more than illegally acquiring the game. I thought I made that clear...
lol damage
korge
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

GT3x24x7 wrote:do they think they have some kind of immunity or anonymity?
Piracy is not illegal in Canada. Therefore, I cannot be prosecuted for anything as long as I'm not the person uploading the material and I have nothing to hide.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Copyright infringement is illegal everywhere, there's just the difference whether you're illegible for criminal prosecution, which you as a canadian resident probably aren't. But that's not the question in this topic, we're just conducting an anonymous survey.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

If that is the case, I just purchased the game today. :) I r luv it
korge
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

Bojan wrote:Copyright infringement is illegal everywhere, there's just the difference whether you're illegible for criminal prosecution, which you as a canadian resident probably aren't. But that's not the question in this topic, we're just conducting an anonymous survey.
Yes, that's true BUT downloading something off the Internet, like a movie or a game does NOT constitute copyright infringement in Canada. Either way, like you said, the conversation is beyond the scope of the thread and the forum's policies.
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

I was showing my friend the new xbox live features and he "accidentally" bought the collector's edition upgrade on the Marketplace.... #-o

he payed me back for it, but I traded this game in already, need to delete it off my Xbox hard drive...

To be honest, I don't really care if you illegally get games, it doesn't bother me until I get a game that is utterly shiznit, like undercover. Piracy sucks for the company that is trying to make a living and such. I am more of a music person when it comes to that but I actually buy most of the CD's I like or at least the one or two songs I like on it. I normally spend $30-$40 a month on music depending on how many albums are released.

I guarantee that if anyone downloaded a game and it happened that they enjoyed it, I bet they wouldn't pay for a legal copy.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

2furio wrote:
Bojan wrote:Copyright infringement is illegal everywhere, there's just the difference whether you're illegible for criminal prosecution, which you as a canadian resident probably aren't. But that's not the question in this topic, we're just conducting an anonymous survey.
Yes, that's true BUT downloading something off the Internet, like a movie or a game does NOT constitute copyright infringement in Canada. Either way, like you said, the conversation is beyond the scope of the thread and the forum's policies.
O' Canada!!

as long as you're not downloading it to resale and make it your own profit, you're fine here... *yes i'm canadian*
korge wrote:FYI - I downloaded the game through ______. Took 1 week to finally get all the pieces. Oops, the first time I compiled the RARs it was corrupt so I had to RE download it again. Took another week.
lol... after unraring, i accidentally deleted the *.iso and i did shift+del so it was gone... i tried NTFS Undelete but it was corrupted so i had to re-download ... sigh but it didn't take me a week... it took me 3 days... with 24h on

my copy isn't "legal" if you still couldn't tell by now
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I do have 2 legal copies:
- a German copy
- a English copy

I got the German Copy from EA, but since I can't stand that all the movies and audio is in German, I got myself a English version so I can listen to everything the way they intended it.

But sadly I have to admit I am not proud that I did, I spend 55 euro on a game that manages to crash about every 5 minutes of not faster, It even manages to crash 2 times at startup.
It completely freezes my 360.
I managed to race 2 races (highway battle and a circuit race) and 2 pursuits and had around 10 crashes while getting there.

So yeah I'm not happy that I paid 55 Euro for something that is unplayable!!

I heard a lot of problems with Pro Street on the PC, but on the 360 I never had any problems with it (until I got a other 360 and now I doesn't want to play offline anymore)
The German version will be sold later on, maybe I can find a person in Germany who likes a crashing game in German :roll:
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

TheStig wrote:It completely freezes my 360.
The 360 demo that I played froze once during my 10 mins of play. I didn't expect the problem to get even worse when it came to the actual game.. Gawk! Image
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

TheStig you should try zee zherman version, it works a lot better :)
Mine only crashes in online lobby.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

It crashes on the 360? Wow... that's pretty poor.

I'm using the same system I used for ProStreet. Get it by my means (although God knows it didn't take 2 friggin' weeks... get yourself a new tracker. :lol:) I'll probably get it for Christmas, so there's no point in spending extra money, and if I don't then I'll just buy it in Wal-Mart 4 or 5 months from now for $20. There you go, a future-legal copy.

On a side note, I now want to move to Canada. :D
TwilightGTR
Ricer
Ricer

Post by TwilightGTR »

Sadly I bought it, it was worse than I had suspected
Gavh2
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Gavh2 »

Legal copy here for the 360. I reckon I was the first guy in South Africa to own a copy. I'm still holding out on the PC version because if there is to be a collectors edition I'd rather have that. Surely by now a collectors edition would be out???
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

Bojan wrote:TheStig you should try zee zherman version, it works a lot better :)
Mine only crashes in online lobby.
Ze zherman version was no better, maybe try it on my old 360 and see what it does, but I can't imagine it would be the 360 who's at fault, cause it's 2 months old and plays everything without a problem.
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

I have a illegal version on my pc to make cars for my showroom. And got a free legal version on my ps3, friend of mine didnt want it so he gave it to me (curse him XD ). But i must say i dont have any system freezes so far only something that looks like annoying lag and loss of control (still hear bg music for some strange reason).
SP4RCO
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by SP4RCO »

My NFS original spanish copies:

- Hot Pursuit
- Porsche Unleashed
- Hot Pursuit II
- Underground
- Most Wanted Black Edition (English) (delivered by Bojan lol... I won a nfsunlimited contest)

My downloaded pirated copies:

- NFS1 and NFS2... just wanted to try them hehe. Downloaded them at year 2006 or so... couldn't find them in stores
- High Stakes... sucked to me buying a new edition of NFS III so I downloaded it
- Underground 2... same reason I already paid for NFSU1
- Carbon... gave it a try but not spending money on that piece of crap

About ProStreet the only thing I have is this wonderful avatar/sig pack, and takling of Undercover I havent tried it either. So yes, Its not even worth to download latest games. EA back to the roots!!!
Still rolling my eyes :roll:
aneesh99
Ricer
Ricer

Post by aneesh99 »

korge wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:I know.

But it was plain to me prior to starting the thread that piracy is rampant with this game, so I wanted to measure it. I'm really surprised by how many people openly admit they stole the game - do they think they have some kind of immunity or anonymity?
Somewhat. As to the fact that I already deleted it so I cannot be openly prosecuted by FBI. plus not to mention the fact that FBI doesnt give a shid?
- Rx7 - wrote:I have an Illegal copy.

When EA make something worth buying, i'll buy it.
Amen.
Lol!!! Ditto that!!!
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Well that's kind of a bump, but whatever.

I got a legal copy for Christmas as I suspected I would lol.

If I hadn't I'd just buy it randomly at Walmart when it starts selling for $20. Still, it's about $18 more than it's really worth, if you decide to be nice and give EA an extra dollar for trying.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

You're really generous. God bless you child. :P
Stingray24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Stingray24 »

Legal. You thieves keep torrenting and you will destroy what's left of the software company's desire to keep PC gaming alive.

Return to “Undercover”