Legal or No?

2008 Need for Speed Undercover

Is your copy of Undercover legal or not?

My copy is strictly legal.
50%
I have an illegal copy.
38%
I don't have Undercover, but plan to buy it legally.
3%
I don't have Undercover, and plan to obtain an illegal copy.
8%

Total votes: 60

KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Legal or No?

Post by KammyworldRacerGT4 »

That's actually true... though they're torrenting games because of SecuROM.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:That's actually true... though they're torrenting games because of SecuROM.
Of course they are...
t3ice
Professional
Professional

Post by t3ice »

KammyworldRacerGT4 wrote:... though they're torrenting games because of SecuROM.
That reason has been used over9000 times already...
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

More like twice that. In all honesty, if EA hadn't used SecuROM due to the fact that it goes against the consumer, them people may be more than happy to buy EA's games (considering they get decent reviews).
Stingray24
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Stingray24 »

Pirating was happening way before SecuROM existed ....
240sxlover
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by 240sxlover »

Not bad...legal copy... :D
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

bought mine legally,
use to torrent games but gave it up always ended up buying the real thing anyways.

plus i collect all the nfs for pc so that can bring alot of heart ach when they suck...
AzrielSmurf
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AzrielSmurf »

Always legal, not cause I think no one will catch me if I download it, but because it's so much more satisfying to pay for it. This way I have "the right" to rant when it's not very good.

It's like not voting, then complaining about the party that's elected. :rolleyes:
Athlon X2 4800
4GB Corsair DDR2 667
Radeon HD 3870 512mb
XP Pro, Vista Ult x64, PCLinux
KammyworldRacerGT4
Drift King
Drift King

Heh. Nice comparison. :)
crojob
Ricer
Ricer

Post by crojob »

Torrent.

Probably because I haven't paid for a game since 1986 [i'm 22 btw] Even my console game experience has been on PC, I don't think someone should be able to profit off something they have an unlimited supply of. And I don't want to contribute to such a system. The game actually runs on my system which is suprising, since I cannot run prostreet worth shiznit. For the quality of the game, its fine for me, Ive played Underground 2, Carbon and Prostreet. I enjoyed all of them. Anyone who thinks their shiznit should look at what else is out there. Not much even comes close when it comes to racing games.

The only gripe I have with undercover is the retarded difficulty. Though I am sure I am doing something wrong. I am at the point where you get your first job, and the car i had 240sx [what you start with] couldn't finish the event ... ever. Even without mistake i couldn't do it, so i though id will go make moeny and buy parts and upgrade, so i did some races and now i'm at a point where there is about 6 available races/events/stuff...and i can't beat any of them. I sold the 240sx and got a paontiac something [25000 dollar car] it has great acceleration but its still nto enough to beat any of the races. Its like the game is limiting my speed, in any car i can't even get over 110mph, and when i'm in 4th or 5th gear my rpms go DOWN on a straightaway. but if i put it into 3rd gear the engine is jugging [over heat]..so i don't know wtf is up, no preformance aprts are unlocked either. Ive tuned the cars and they still don't have what it takes to win anything.

Its funny because ive only heard people say the game is too easy...
AzrielSmurf
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AzrielSmurf »

Thats cause before the patch the game was easy. I was already level 15 before I patched the game. I haven't finished it because Nickel & Dime is now impossible to finish (too many tries to count). Actually now I'm playing 18 wheels of steel cause it's glitch free and enjoyable to play. Game actually has a big rig feeling. Maybe NFS caould learn something from it ;)
Athlon X2 4800
4GB Corsair DDR2 667
Radeon HD 3870 512mb
XP Pro, Vista Ult x64, PCLinux
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

The OP also forgot to add, the downloaded and bought possibility. Seeing as it had a staggered release system, downloads were far more prevalent for this game than had it been a simultaneous release. I know a few who d/l so they could play on release day rather than wait until it got released locally god knows how many months later.

[quote=AzrielSmurf]It's like not voting, then complaining about the party that's elected. :rolleyes:[/quote]
LOL that is the worst comparison possible. Voting in a two party system is pointless because the two parties are there to literally foment discord between the people voting. Both parties are like the two hands of the same body, so whoever is voted in is still following the party line. In this case not voting is the only solution and then noticing the newly voted in party they have no authority over you or your property as you don't accept them as an authoritative entity.

As for piracy Canada's stance seems the most sensible. It prevents ridiculous court actions (wasting huge sums of money) and allows for the backing up of software you have purchased. This whole software license thing is total bollocks too. When you buy a game you should have full rights to rip it to shreds and play about with it. Don't expect it to work as expected though (buyer beware...). However more and more companies are playing the license game where people have to dance to the tune of the software maker because they don't own the software anymore. It's a blatant abuse of legislation and everyone's rights to force such unfair contracts upon people. Hence why I would pay happily for games from companies like Gas Powered Games who encourage people to create using their software rather than limit. EA are known for their stupid DRM and it is biting them in the bumbum now (and about time). Even though Demigod was ripped by 90000 and only 30000 legit on release I can easily say that most of those 90000 are getting legit copies now. I am (got it to test it out!) and I respect Stardock's refusal to use DRM.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

just looking at this topics header I want to stress how badly illegal copies of games are to the industry. I think EA's SPORE had less legal copies than illegal downloads
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

And it bloody deserved it. Terrible game. That's the thing though, people are wising up to the dev's trying to sell snake oil like it was diamonds. So they try first and then decide if they buy or not. Hell that's how I do it and if the game is worth the money then I get it legit. If not it gets wiped.

Case in point is Demigod. Fantastic game, got its problems but it has that panache that is missing from most titles released at the moment. I tried it and loved it, now I'll shell out for it. However if it had been crap I wouldn't. That's just good business, can't let the corporations dictate all the terms now can we ;)

Return to “Undercover”