Pro Street Gear Ratios?

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
GnaRkiLL
Stock
Stock

Pro Street Gear Ratios?

Post by GnaRkiLL »

I dont really get how tuning the gear ratios would be useful... can someone tell me how you can use that to your advantage?
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Pro Street Gear Ratios?

Post by YaelDjiel »

making them shorter will increase acceleration (but decrease top speed)
making them taller will give opposite effect

for tight grip tracks with lots of sharp turns, shorter gears might give you a slight advantage
while tall gears in speed challenge should help
WonkaVW
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by WonkaVW »

Generally I just tweak the final drive and leave the gears unless I'm having issues. Tweak the gears if you're having specific issues with them running out (or just make them all short if you want a really peppy car with no top speed).
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Different tracks require different gearing. Long and smooth tracks allow for tall gearing - your car gets to stretch its legs and express some of that speed it's got - short tracks with lots of relatively sharp curves crave seriously short gearing. If you run the same gears on all tracks, you will get not express the full potential of your car, at all and will most likely be hanging at the last position most of the time..
zeqlon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by zeqlon »

Myeah... I don't really agree. On a short, windy track you'll be mostly in, say, 1st to 3rd gear whereas a long straight one will make good use of 4th to 6th (that breakdown is simplistic and should vary according to your cars, but you get the idea). IMO it's possible to have one blueprint that gets you the best of both worlds.
I've been spending a bit of time trying to get the best gear tuning on my grip 911 Turbo and while I'm probably not at the end of my search, I've managed to significantly improve her performance across the board - and the gears certainly don't look like "all short" or "all long" either. More like 1st and 2nd : long, 3rd : 1/2, 4th : long, 5th : 1/2 and 6th : short. Kinda hard without more dyno information though :cry:.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

You're joking.. right..?
NaBUru83
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NaBUru83 »

Zeqlon: the idea of tuning is that you actually use all the six gears in every track. You lose a fraction of time when changing the extra gears, but you accelerate much faster with close ratio gears than with a few gears with wide gaps.

Return to “ProStreet”