ProStreet PC Servers shutting down April 15?

2007 Need for Speed ProStreet
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

ProStreet PC Servers shutting down April 15?

Post by rcgldr »

Link to news

http://www.needforspeed.com/post/prostr ... april-15-0

If activity is low, then how much work can it be to keep the servers running? What about Most Wanted and Carbon which are older still?

How is it that Gamespy is able to keep the server for the much older Hot Pursuit 2 still running, but EA has to shut down it's servers for the older games?
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: ProStreet PC Servers shutting down April 15?

Post by ElvenAvenger »

I can't help but think: Money.

There's no reason for them to do that, if the activity is low. Just that they have their 'not enough players' excuse.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

So if 100 people log on during 1 month, what use is running the servers then? What is the chance of finding an online match when there's 3 people trying to play every 24h?

I did not make up these numbers btw.
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by rcgldr »

I never liked the way they did the online menu system in ProStreet or Carbon, since there's no way to tell if or how many other players are online. Most Wanted was the last NFS game to have a proper online menu, where you could look at a list of rooms and know how many players were online. The issue with ProStreet is that matches are only found if the players online are trying to run the same race day / event. At least with Carbon, players have the option of choosing "any" for the event type, car tier, ...

Once the number of players dropped below some threshold, finding matches becomes difficult, and then players give up.

The main reason I read that players want to keep the server running is for the stats, which also track the offline stats. Also it's possible that a forum site for the few ProStreet fans could choose a particular race day / event as the starting point whenever players log on, to increase the odds of getting an event started.

Return to “ProStreet”