Your Thoughts about NFSC...

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Your Thoughts about NFSC...

Post by Skyline_man »

Since some of us have already got the game, and many others will be getting it after a few hours, you can go ahead and tell us what do you think about the game, doesnt matter what platform, just mention it while you are posting. :wink:
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

Platform: Xbox

Customization: Customization in NFS Carbon is way better than NFS Most Wanted. Vinyls and decals can be resized and moved anywhere which is a dream come true for me. :lol: Another new thing in NFS Carbon is that some cars have a chop top option. A lot of paint types available; Gloss, Metallic, Candy, Iridiscent, Chrome etc.

Controls: Less sensitive than NFS Most Wanted and more realistic, more smoother turning. Can't oversteer easily unlike Most Wanted. Although I hate the understeering when turning, it can be solved be just releasing the accelaration trigger.

Gameplay: Not as easy as preivous NFS series.Although without Catch-up feature, your opponents can catch up with you quickly if you hit anything. Your wingman; they can be a guide, or even a nuisance. They can tell you which position your opponent will be passing up on you. On the other hand, they can also miss hitting your opponent and hit you instead. Carreer mode is great. You can either win a territory, or defend your territory.

OVERALL: 8.9
Maverick2K4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Maverick2K4 »

I haven't picked up my copy yet, but I'm going after school to pick it up. After I install it and play it for a bit, I'll give my impressions of it. From what I've played of the demo, it's great. I didn't expect it to run so smoothly on my system, given the fact that my video card is 2 years old (I have a 128MB GeForce FX 5700 Ultra AGP, an upgrade is on it's way). My only problem, and I've had this problem with Most Wanted, is that the videos run slow and choppy. But, I'm sure with a format and Windows re-installation that the problem will be fixed. Other than that, I can't wait to get it up and running.
Leftos
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Leftos »

Please, it's better if we keep this to impressions from the actual game and not "I'm going to buy this soon...", "oh I can't w8 till I get it" and stuff like that. No offence Maverick, but it's better if we keep this a review-only thread.
I don't use pwned. I use BSODed. It's less cool and harder to say. I know.
Maverick2K4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Maverick2K4 »

None taken, just picked it up and installing it as we speak.
FireFrost
Ricer
Ricer

Post by FireFrost »

It's a fun game! I've been playing it for a few hours now; I got my version on the GameCube. It's not as smooth as MW, sorta slow and choppy in some parts, (and I had one police road block, and I just went THROUGH the car and heard the sounds of a crash and in one chase, there was no 5-0 chatter at all. :?, but that's to be expected. My only gripe is that you can't look behind you and see where the other racers are. I'm really annoyed at that. Other than that, it's a terrific game! I started with the SS Camaro and I totally SUCK at the Drift. They were right, it is SO different from U2. x.x I'll get the hang of it eventually.
Last edited by FireFrost on 03 Nov 2006, 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

I got NFS Carbon today , What a waste of time ! . The crews are swag , the ideas are swag the whole game is swag . This was a complete let down for me and sums up a bad year for EA . The crew talking to you all the time , the stupid speeds they can do etc . The NFS series has been ruined .

Better luck next time EA . [/b]
frankie123
Ricer
Ricer

Post by frankie123 »

yeh i dont really like the idea of crews and crap... so gay... for scouts... i have no idea where the fk they are pointing at and wtf man i wanna get first i dont want them havin 1st place gayyyyyy

also i thot they are gonna bring bak more customization like nfs underground 1.... like choose ur own bumper and make different combinations
Longsword
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Longsword »

OK got my 360 with the guide, some thoughts:

First off, I think this is the best in the series, customization wins hands down.

Race wars are awesome. Racing against 18 other guys rocks.

I notice that the Career is just a part of the game this year: the Challenge series, online and Reward Card means tons more stuff to do this time around.

It will take forever to complete the Reward Card, and I just noticed there is a separate Reward Card for Online as well. This is gonna take me months.

The Gold Challenge Series events are HARD! But they all give out rewards, too (cars etc). If anyone has tips for winning the Gold Challenge Series Race Wars?

With the new vinyl system and the Autosculpt you can do whatever you want with the car. I actually like the new vinyl system even more than Autosculpt.

Best thing for me thus far: playing Canyon Duel against human opponent –you can make NO mistakes! Racing games are always at their best when racing against others.

I will unlock more stuff, so I can finish off my car and go online…
snaeper
Ricer
Ricer

Post by snaeper »

Yeah, this game is pretty wicked. The Muscle cars are reeeally easy to drift with, and the Brera handles really well for stock suspension. I haven't gotten the chance to race a tuner yet, but i will.

Also it's farily dark, as mentioned by tak, but i'm sure that once we play a little while we'll get the hang of the map is and know where everything is like the back of our hand.

I can't wait to get further in, because i'm not one of those guys whose parents let him play all night long. But the Xbox version DOESN'T HAVE LIVE!!!!! WTF???? Thats one of the biggest reasons i bought the game.
Last edited by snaeper on 02 Nov 2006, 19:13, edited 2 times in total.
That's really something.
frankie123
Ricer
Ricer

Post by frankie123 »

^^^
tats what i dont like about it... muscle card should do donuts when they drift... too much torque... btw i got a few questions about the game... can someone add me on msn? fc_hk@hotmail.com
tak
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tak »

I don't really know what to think of Carbon. I've been a NFS fan since 2SE, but somehow Carbon just feels off.

I started off with the RX8 and won the pink slip of the RX7. You pretty much don't have the choice of using the same car throughout a career as upgrades only work for a particular tier of cars. I didn't notice this until I was actually struggling to win races with the RX8 when fighting for the muscle-car area. While the RX7 is fast and brilliantly easy to steer, drifting with it doesn't seem as smooth as with the RX8 (or with the Camaro and the Evo from the demo). Or maybe, I'm just not used to it.

There are a couple of gripes I've got with carbon so far (I'm just before the boss-guy in the exotics area after having completed the tuner and muscle areas).

Firstly, it's just too dark, especially in the canyon races, when doing canyon drifts, sprints or the duels. You've got to be watching the map just to know where to turn or you'll end up crashing into the walls. At least if the headlamps were brighter or had a wider reach, it might be better.

Secondly, you can't autosculpt everything. I was initially under the impression that you could autosculpt any thing that you add on. But there are separate parts which you can just add on but not autosculpt and parts which can autosculpt. So far, the parts offered in both customizations aren't similar.

Despite all the customization options available, I've so far haven't had any motivation to do any modifications. I suppose it's because visuals have got no impact whatsoever on gameplay, not even to reduce heat levels (like in MW).

While I thoroughly enjoyed the cop chases in MW (and in HP and HP2 before that), I actually dreaded the chases in Carbon. The cop AI has improved considerably, even at the lower heat levels, so much so that they are actually a pain to get rid off. There aren't as many persuit breakers or cool-down zones as there were in MW. Given that the Carbon map is larger than in MW, it actually becomes frustrating.

The chatter of the wingmen during races while useful to let you know whether you've got an opponent on your tail, it can get quite irritaing. I've yet to get a drafter, but scouts are mostly useless. Blockers are the most useful more so in some races than in others. And if you're using underpowered tuners to race against muscle cars in Speed Trap races, you're gonna have to depend on your wingmen to hit the higher speeds. Crashing into different things in the environment slow down your car to different extents, not exactly in the way you'd expect. You can mow down trees and lamp-posts and you'd be barely slowed down, but try plowing through dustbins, and you'd have to down-gear all the way to 2nd gear to have sufficient power to accelerate. YMMV as I've only used the light-weight tuners so far and haven't tried out muscles or the exotics yet.

My biggest complaint is how dark everything is. Granted that it is street racing at night, it could have done with brighter headlights or better street lighting.

It is also ridiculously easy (at least until where I've gotten so far) using a tuner like the RX7. While it loses out in terms of speed and acceleration to the exotics and muscles, you can easily win most races just depending on their manouverability. The only times I've had to restart races was when I couldn't see the wall, or in drifts so that I could get higher scores. I can imagine things getting that much harder when playing with exotics and muscles, but that's where the replayability factor comes in.

I will comment more when I've played more.

cheers!
snaeper
Ricer
Ricer

Post by snaeper »

But tak, don't you realize that by Auto sculpting those few parts, you're going through Millions of different combinations.
That's really something.
Longsword
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Longsword »

I thought I saw visual mods lowering the Heat when I modded my car. I am almost certain of it...
Xxwho3zJohnQxX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Xxwho3zJohnQxX »

I believe you can fire your crew members and take it solo >.>

Personaly, I loved the game. i jsut wish the cop chases were actually a requirement in the game in some form.

Everything is just fine here. The brightness can be fixed by simply adjusting the Television or Computer screen.

I dont have any other complaints. Other than the lack of customizing the head lights or tail lights. I wanted modify the lights for my RX-7 like in NFSU and NFSU 2.
StreekG
Drift King
Drift King

Post by StreekG »

frankie123 wrote:^^^
tats what i dont like about it... muscle card should do donuts when they drift... too much torque... btw i got a few questions about the game... can someone add me on msn? fc_hk@hotmail.com
Muscle cars can drift quite well actually, you just need to be good with the throttle, and obviously, know how to control your car. Just because it has a lot of torque doesn't mean it will spin out every time, you just need to know how to drive a car with real power. :lol: There are a lot of drifting muscle cars out there.
Longsword
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Longsword »

Addition to the earlier: Career is actually just one part this year. Unlike MW I really think majority of the gameplay is in CS, Reward Card and Online, and not just in Career. Plus there is 3 Classes to go through for Career. And if you look at RC, you get tons of rewards for doing cop chases, which I like.
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

I thin kyou have to have atleast one crew member :(
EVO_VIII
Drift King
Drift King

Post by EVO_VIII »

bam_bam wrote:I thin kyou have to have atleast one crew member :(
bam u are right, we can't fire all the crew members :(
I think I can win races without the wingman......
I'll hire them If they will bring me extra money from winning races :lol:
SJ_PleaseDontShootMe
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SJ_PleaseDontShootMe »

EVO_VIII wrote:
bam_bam wrote:I thin kyou have to have atleast one crew member :(
bam u are right, we can't fire all the crew members :(
Im gonna fix his brakes, i hate that bloody chatter, i bet he had
budgerigar seeds for breakfast. :twisted: :evil:
fasttasf
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by fasttasf »

StreekG wrote:
frankie123 wrote:^^^
Muscle cars can drift quite well actually, you just need to be good with the throttle, and obviously, know how to control your car. Just because it has a lot of torque doesn't mean it will spin out every time, you just need to know how to drive a car with real power. :lol: There are a lot of drifting muscle cars out there.
You need to make sure you mean he "needs to know how to control his car" IN THIS GAME, american muscles are famous for their power and lack of body control (i.e. poor handling, a lot of oversteer and lack of traction), this is what makes them so special and why people like them, the game ruined this simple fact and made the muscles more of a sluggish hyundai kind of thing.
QX6850
4GB DDR2 PC8500
2 GEFORCE 8800GTX SLI
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
1000Watt PSU
Assymetrix
Ricer
Ricer
Location: cocpit of a multiration-turbo charged nissan 200sx s14a

Post by Assymetrix »

waiting for wii :cry:
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

Well, the game is COOL, BUT it gives me something to complain about cop chases, scouts and drafters and game enviroment.
1st) I'm tired of those stupid chatters of the wingmen, i know, it's useful, but too much?
2nd) Cops are cool this time, but i would prefer something more "messy" like MW.

3rd) The game it's too dark in my opinion.....even gamma option is there, i feel there's no difference at all..

Also, playing against wolf, nice dude....his Aston Martin is pretty fast, but my RX-8 can handle it ;)
snaeper
Ricer
Ricer

Post by snaeper »

IDK in the one cop chase i've been in, the cops have been alot easier to take out. And i was driving a stock Brera. And the dark thing, like i said earlier, will get old, after awhile we'll get used to it, and drive the whole city with our eyes closed. But it would be pretty cool if they could bring back the custommizable head&tail lights, that could actually help your vision too.
Last edited by snaeper on 02 Nov 2006, 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
That's really something.
ahmad0410
Professional
Professional

Post by ahmad0410 »

Beaten Wolf, Angie and Kenji. Now finally against Darius!. Yipee!

And btw.. its not too dark. Im playing on Xbox and there's no gamme option but i can still handle it. why couldnt you? just keep looking at the map if u cant see the road ahead.

Return to “Carbon”