NFSC Performance Tuning Discussion

2006 Need for Speed Carbon
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFSC Performance Tuning Discussion

Post by GT3x24x7 »

This is for discussion of NFS: Carbon performance tuning. Yes, it is much more than just window dressing. Despite the apparent simplicity of the performance tuning options in Carbon, the settings you choose have a very real effect on the car.

Use this thread to discuss your best setups, trade information and generally learn how best to tune your cars to be the best they can be.

To start, I'll use this as a scratchpad to record the process of my own approach to "baseline" tuning. By baseline, I mean finding the set of 'coarse' settings that work best for the car (and the driver). We're not out to decide whether bumping up the blowoff valve on the turbo is any better or worse, we're simply finding the best general setting for each performance category. From this base, you can then go ahead and tweak the minors, knowing that the car is basically tuned the right way.

My approach to tuning can be pretty much summed up like this: Change one thing, test thoroughly, record results, repeat. When done, compare results across tests. Here goes..

GT's NFSC Baseline Tuning Guide

Car: Lotus Elise (Tier 2)

After being thoroughly flogged off the line by a guy in the exact same car, I decided to break out the good ol' Scientific Method and determine the optimum settings for the Elise.

Track: Stonewall Tunnel (Speedtrap)

I chose this as the test track firstly because it's short and cuts down the time needed to do multiple tests, it's fast enough to hit top speed if driven well, and it's a speedtrap, so there's lots of stats available at the end of the race.

Approach
  • Start with all settings in their default (centred) positions.
  • Work with one performance category at a time.
  • Run four test races with all three settings centred (I call this the NEUTRAL position).
  • Move all settings to the left and repeat the four tests.
  • Move all settings to the right and repeat the four tests.
  • Compare results and select the best "coarse" settings.
  • Repeat with the next performance category.
  • Once this entire process is complete, thought can be given to fine tuning settings by combining different slider positions
Measurements

Depending on the performance category, we're looking for acceleration, top speed, cornering ability or braking ability. I feel that the best of all of these things combined will yield the highest speedtrap score and the lowest times.

I decided to record the following data from each run and compare the final results to come up with the best set of coarse settings..
  • Speed at the first speedtrap (acceleration)
  • Best speedtrap speed (top speed, or an indication of the possibility)
  • Average speed (measure of handling/braking)
  • Total speedtrap speed (overall measure)
Of course, when testing you should be sure of the course prior to beginning. You don't want to be learning the course as you go along, as your increasingly better scores will spoil the results. Make sure you have plenty of practice on the track and try to run the track the same way each time.

Category: Engine

Code: Select all

Setting     First Trap   Best Trap   Avg Trap   Total
=====================================================
Neutral         214         283        244       1464
Torque          216         289        253       1518
Horsepower      227         306        260       1563
Interestingly, there was very little difference between the Neutral and Torque settings. Tuning everything for Horsepower is clearly the way to go.

Category: Transmission

Neutral         227         306        260       1563 
Acceleration    229         304        260       1562
Top Speed       225         295        261       1563
Ok to start with , we already know the results for the neutral state, since the Engine tests were run with the tranny set to all zeroes. We can just carry over the results and continue. Once the rest of the tests were done, there's very little difference in any of the settings, so this one comes down to personal preference. I found the car less responsive with Top Speed settings, and any acceleration advantage off the line is a plus, so I chose the Acceleration settings.

Category: Suspension

Neutral         229         304        260       1562
Oversteer       228         293        259       1553
Understeer      229         305        264       1581
The clear winner here is Understeer. The difference in handling is enormous.

Category: Nitrous

Neutral         229         305        264       1581
Velocity        235         311        264       1584
Duration        223         300        259       1553
No prizes for picking the winner here. Look at that acceleration boost!

Category: Tyres

Neutral         235         311        264       1584
Drift           235         305        263       1578
Grip            220         289        248       1485
This was a real surprise. I'm traditionally a grip driver, but as you can see here, fitting max grip to the Elise slows it down dramatically. The difference between Neutral and Drift settings is far less pronounced, so you're free to choose between the two. I chose Neutral because it suits my style better.

Category: Brakes

Well, it's kinda hard to test brakes at Stonewall, since there's only one turn that requires any braking. As far as I'm concerned, you should choose the braking setting that suits your driving style. If you like to drive a clean line, go for Neutral or Front Bias. If you're a drifter, use Rear Bias.

Category: Turbo

Neutral         235         311        264       1584
Low RPM         233         306        265       1587
High RPM        234         306        264       1583
Obviously not a lot of difference here, but then Stonewall is pretty much a flat-out track. Testing on a tighter circuit might show some differences. For me, it's ok at Neutral.

Summary

Let's look at how far we've come.

Setup       First Trap   Best Trap   Avg Trap   Total
Stock           214         283        244       1464
Tuned           235         311        264       1584
Not bad I'd say. Acceleration off the line is greatly improved, it handles much better, and has a higher top end. Mission accomplished! Well, it's a baseline anyway - like I said at the outset, the fun now begins in deciding which mini-adjustments might be best to make.

Let me just say this in closing. These are the settings that worked for me, with the Elise. This does not mean they will be the best for you, and it certainly does not mean that they will be the best for another car. You're welcome to take these settings and use them however you see fit, but I encourage you to do your own testing, following the guide, to arrive at a car that's setup just the way you need it.
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 04 Dec 2006, 20:23, edited 2 times in total.
KekumRulez
Drift King
Drift King

Post by KekumRulez »

thx GT!
This will help me a lot to win some hard-to-win races!
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

Whoa that is the most detailed explanation on tuning ive ever seen. i always thought horsepower was the way to go
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Well, for the Elise it seems to work. Don't know about other cars yet.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

it does work for other cars also if you tune them that way. the setup you have for the elise is pretty much the same setup i use on all of my cars
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

GT can you plz make something like this to a Corvette plz
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I intend to tune the Corvette sooner or later, but why not go ahead and try it yourself? You have the method laid out in front of you..
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

I have some stuff to do so i don't have time and by the looks of it it takes alot of time
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

then do a rough setup like what GT said obviously max horsepower is the way to go even with the corvette and also understeer is also another obvious selection and just go from there
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

:wink:
guobin2
Ricer
Ricer

Post by guobin2 »

That's an interesting way to look at the setups.

Though personally I prefer tuning for drift, i.e. maxed oversteer/rear bias etc, I'll try out some grip for my exotics.
BrontoX
Professional
Professional

Post by BrontoX »

How can Understeer be good for Exotics when they Understeer like Heck?

Just tryed the setup on my corvette really does work the thing with understeer (but i didn't do it at Max)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Max understeer in the Corvette is close to uncontrollable. It seems to me that EA have the terms understeer and oversteer confused. Setting maximum oversteer settings on the Corvette causes the front end to plough, while setting max understeer settings cause the rear to slide. Exactly the opposite of what those two terms actually mean.

That's the reason for this approach. The idea is to forget any presumptions that the physics model is based in reality and simply test the extremes of the scale for each performance category. In the end, we find what works best for each car, regardless of what real world experience might dictate.
RVD
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RVD »

whoa, nice work there!!
Who found out you can get milk from a cow, and what the hell was he doing at the moment?
fasttasf
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: NFSC Performance Tuning Discussion

Post by fasttasf »

GT3x24x7 wrote:This is for discussion of NFS: Carbon performance tuning. Yes, it is much more than just window dressing. Despite the apparent simplicity of the performance tuning options in Carbon, the settings you choose have a very real effect on the car.

Use this thread to discuss your best setups, trade information and generally learn how best to tune your cars to be the best they can be.

I have to say, respect for your determination to write such a long article. However, I do not agree with your entirely on how to conduct the tests for each performance category. You need to know better about basic mechanics and the law of physics before tuning your car. Changing the settings of some categories may affect the overall performance (handling, acceleration and top speed) of the car, therefore, going through a single category for performance improvement may have negative effect. The best way to tune your car? use "fuzzy math" and a bit of knowledge in physics is my approach.
QX6850
4GB DDR2 PC8500
2 GEFORCE 8800GTX SLI
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
1000Watt PSU
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

Only option i havent touched yet is the tire grip/drift one...others are also pretty much depend on the car class as well not only car.
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Hi there!

Great work GT3! ;) It's a quite nicely done guide for those who are starting.

fastlasf, what you are saying is also true, but is included on what GT3 described like the fine-tuning after this. The thing is, you must start somewhere, and this guide is a good start.

I am still just playing Online for Fun and using mainly Pre-Tuned Cars. No serious testing so far, but I am guessing that this missunderstanding around Over and Understeer explains why my Elise Career Car was turning so bad (I choose oversteer of course)! :D

Cya all!
desertfox
Ricer
Ricer

Post by desertfox »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Max understeer in the Corvette is close to uncontrollable. It seems to me that EA have the terms understeer and oversteer confused. Setting maximum oversteer settings on the Corvette causes the front end to plough, while setting max understeer settings cause the rear to slide. Exactly the opposite of what those two terms actually mean.

That's the reason for this approach. The idea is to forget any presumptions that the physics model is based in reality and simply test the extremes of the scale for each performance category. In the end, we find what works best for each car, regardless of what real world experience might dictate.
What is the beat Suspension setting for Corvette......................please.

Desert Fox
str33tfury
Ricer
Ricer

Post by str33tfury »

for suspension, i always use brake bias slightly to the back and full oversteer... but i generally only drive tuners, so i can't judge how a 'vette will react to this... but the full oversteer is a must imho.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

@fastasf: To a point you are indeed correct, my approach is very coarse, and there is certainly a need to both consider each category in relation to the others and also a strong need to do a lot more testing and fine tuning of individual settings once the baseline options have been chosen.

As I (and now the incredibly quick VG_Speed) have said, my post simply presents a basic, structured approach to tuning for the uninitiated and does not mean to be an holistic, one-size-fits-all solution. Happily however, in the case of the Elise, the end result is highly satisfactory. Results with other cars, especially Tier 3, will be rather variable, but nonetheless better than default settings.

In the context of this 'baseline' tuning process, we're simply seeking to isolate each category and identify the better end of each scale for the user and car. A refinement would be to consider the order of categories tested, considering both the relative magnitude of the effect; change the big things such as engine and suspension first to produce more noticeable results from subsequent smaller categories such as transmission and brakes later. Tuners should also consider repeating the process across a variety of track types - this test is highly skewed toward acceleration and top speed at the expense of cornering and braking.

I purposely did not touch on the fine tuning process in the interests of brevity and to some extent, sanity. You're well aware that the final selection of finer settings is quite subjective, and with the relative effects of the changes being smaller, comparison of speeds and times becomes ineffectual. Final selections are largely down to intangibles such as 'feel' and 'drivability'. In short, you just gotta suck it and see.

BTW, I somewhat resent your reference to my need "to know better about basic mechanics and the law of physics". I'm sure my university physics and engineering mechanics professors would also take a measure of exception.

@desertfox: I found taking the smallest step toward understeer (right side) from the neutral position to be the best for my style. Don't expect miracles with the Corvette.
fasttasf
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by fasttasf »

GT3x24x7 wrote:@fastasf: To a point you are indeed correct, my approach is very coarse, and there is certainly a need to both consider each category in relation to the others and also a strong need to do a lot more testing and fine tuning of individual settings once the baseline options have been chosen.

@desertfox: I found taking the smallest step toward understeer (right side) from the neutral position to be the best for my style. Don't expect miracles with the Corvette.
Oh no, I'm not tring to booboo about things, and your work should be gratefully received by everyone reading this thread indeed. The law of physics coment is for other members here who don't know much about tuning, peace.
QX6850
4GB DDR2 PC8500
2 GEFORCE 8800GTX SLI
X-Fi Extreme Gamer
1000Watt PSU
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ah, misunderstood you. No harm done.
Preciptions
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Preciptions »

I always use the full performance, last parts unlocked... and the car is still slow!
Unlike in Most Wanted, cars can be superfast when you put maximum performance, they are just fast!
But thanks GT3, at least it worked with the Elise!
Get The Bleach!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Carbon works differently. Lotus needs a Stock transmission to be fast, believe it or not. It's also one of the hardest cars to maneuver; something which I'm really annoyed about 'cuz the Elise is supposed to be light and nimble.
Preciptions
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Preciptions »

At least some cars are comfortable, like the Gallardo, if you put it in the maximum performance, It becomes so fast!
(All Exotics In General! ;) )
While Tuners And Muscles Are So Slow... :P
Get The Bleach!

Return to “Carbon”