what's the point of upgrading your car

2005 Need for Speed Most Wanted
vanguard
Ricer
Ricer

what's the point of upgrading your car

Post by vanguard »

when the AI will just match its performance during a race? i raced Earl at least thirty times in a spring race with the porsche cayman, but i was never able to beat him with that car. when i got out my un-upped mitsubishi eclipse, i beat him on my fourth try, (although i did get lucky and forced him to slam into a curb towards the end, and the top speed my eclipse did was 141, whereas, my porsche easily rolled at around 165 in most of the straight runs.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I also find Earl to be the hardest Blacklister to beat, no matter what car you use (and each time I start a new career, he seems to be getting harder to beat. My first career I beat him reasonably easily with Big Lou's Eclipse, maxxed as far as possible by that point in the game. I've struggled ever since; maybe I'm just getting more crap.)

The guy just doesn't make mistakes and seems to be able to corner faster than you. I know this has been said shedloads of times before, but it's all to do with EA screwing up the catch-up feature. Only consolation is that the following Blacklisters seem to be easier to beat once you get past him.
vanguard
Ricer
Ricer

Post by vanguard »

i can build a big lead over him in the beginning of the sprint, but somehow, he speeds up to like at least 200 mph to close that lead in the hilly area (right before the first nasty turn). and afterwards, he stays pretty close to you the entire race, so you really can't make any mistakes. but the problem is that the sprint is so damn long, and coupled with several nasty turns, i usually always do crash at least once per race and my car goes careening backwards. i think what you have to do is force earl to hit something, traffic, a wall, any inmovable objects close to the end of the race; that's how i beat him.
REBEL35SUSPECT
Ricer
Ricer

Post by REBEL35SUSPECT »

not to sound cocky but that race with earl i really did find very easy and beat him first time out

though it was a very close race
vanguard
Ricer
Ricer

Post by vanguard »

congratulations
enzo.ph
Drift King
Drift King

Re: what's the point of upgrading your car

Post by enzo.ph »

vanguard wrote:when the AI will just match its performance during a race? i raced Earl at least thirty times in a spring race with the porsche cayman, but i was never able to beat him with that car. when i got out my un-upped mitsubishi eclipse, i beat him on my fourth try, (although i did get lucky and forced him to slam into a curb towards the end, and the top speed my eclipse did was 141, whereas, my porsche easily rolled at around 165 in most of the straight runs.
its not all about speed, it also involves strategy, driving skills and LUCK!
HKSfan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HKSfan »

Earl was the most difficult blacklister, in my 1st career, i've beaten him at once, but he stayed VERY close to me all time. in the 2nd career, i had to restart once. i had a great lead but in the end he used his catch-up skills and overtook me :(
tigerhawk
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tigerhawk »

Earl has been the most difficult blacklist driver for me too.When i raced him,i thought that now the blacklist drivers will be driving like him but they are so easy to beat especially Ming.
HKSfan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HKSfan »

back to the question: you have to modify at least one car in career mode in order to race the tollbooths (although, i'm not sure if racing tollbooths is nessecary in the career)
mjdude23
Drift King
Drift King

Post by mjdude23 »

REBEL35SUSPECT wrote:not to sound cocky but that race with earl i really did find very easy and beat him first time out

though it was a very close race
COCKY :lol:
unfknblvble
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by unfknblvble »

The title of this thread poses the question: why upgrade your car? So to get a second reply on topic (sarcasm) there is no need to upgrade any vehicle other than you'll struggle with the time limits of the tollbooth challenges (already mentioned). But aside from this the name of the game is speed. Speed is exciting and an adrenaline rush. More so IRL than a game, but still similar. The faster you go, the more challenging, exciting etc, etc the game is. You also have bigger crashes when you're going faster, and this can be very funny! You can also smash through roadblocks and kill Rhinos easier, the faster you're going ;) And of course massive jumps. All fun, especially if you bellow Yeehaaaw Dukes of Hazard style while doing jumps.

Not that I do that...

No, realy, I don't!

:lol:

Now back to the Earl discussion :D
HKSfan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by HKSfan »

OT: i love the road from Omega Barrage to Ocean Hills 8)
great jump
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

OK, staying on the Earl theme - I've just beaten him in my current career.

I tried using a maxxed as possible Cayman, like Vanguard, and he's absolutely right - I couldn't beat Earl with it either! During my 3rd attempt, I even forced him into a couple of skips, but he still creamed me. He seems to find an extra blast of speed at about 45% of the sprint and then doesn't slow down if you race him in a fully maxxed ride.

I eventually beat him using a VW Golf GTI, performance modded to Pro level only on all performance parts - it seems to make him crash more often!

ON Topic: As for what the point of upgrading your car is, well, in my case I enjoy driving as fast as possible in the game, and I particularly love power-sliding through the turns in my RX7 (which I've only just started using, pretty awesome ride, just like in all the previous NFS's).
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

This is true. When you can't see the AI car, it gets some kind of boost and crazy speed. Makes it like the Batmobile, if you will.
vanguard
Ricer
Ricer

Post by vanguard »

^that is true. but if you truly drive a perfect (or near perfect) race, there is no chance the AI can catchup with you. on one rare occassion i was able to get all the corners right, take all the shortcuts, and max out my speed during the straight runs, i finished the race at least 2,000 ft ahead of my closest competitor. during the jewels race i was able to finish 1,500 ahead of her.

that means the game really rewards you for driving a flawless race, but really punishes you when you make a mistake. nothing pisses me off by losing a ten minute lead over some oppenent just because i crashed into a wall on a turn.

and the longer a race is, the more chances of you making a mistake, and earl's sprint is damn long.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Just lucky I guess, vanguard.

Usually when I pull a big lead (1000 or so) ten seconds later it has shrunk down to 200-150 because of the dumbbumbum catch-up. No matter how I drive (well, faster if I mess up). I've never ever seen a bigger lead then 500 at the finish line, and I've completed the game a couple of times.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

like said the performance match is one of the reasons the catchup works to good.

but I noticed the blacklist racers have serious problems if you use the M3 GTR (fast version) they just can't keep up with it.

I have to agree that Earls second race is the hardest of all races, you need alot of skills or alot of luck or both.

But when I used the M3 he just could not get to me, he came close some times but did not go past me and I won with a pretty big lead.

With all cars, use nitro to stay ahead of him om crucial moments, use the brakes when needed, in the earl spring there are some nasty corners and you are simply faster using the brakes some times. (if you use manual gears, cause with auto you got no choice then to use the brakes :wink: )

Have to say I find the 2nd race against Izzy not so easy eighter.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

Maybe they're scared of the car.
Aikanaro
Stock
Stock

Post by Aikanaro »

I have found a nice way to get pass the catchup system (I think). Instead of trying to outrun them, I just hold back a bit and even let them pass me on occasion. Then I put pedal to the metal in the last stretch and just fly past them to the finish line. Works like a charm (for me anyways). ;)
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

I guess that could work on certain tracks. Tracks that have lot of corners/other obstacles towards the end perhaps not so much.

Not a lot of fun though...
Fadeproof
Professional
Professional

Post by Fadeproof »

i was gettin pissed of at the game yesterday. against blacklist 5 (pretty pathetic...had troubles with no. 5... after ive 100% the game before) because of the catch up. id het 2000+ meters in front of him and no matter how good id race he would catch me. but i eventually won. and havnt had troubles since.

Return to “Most Wanted”