AWD v FWD v BWD

2005 Need for Speed Most Wanted
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

The new Porsches are have much easier handling then before. (pre 996) the new 911 limit your movent (unless you shut down all aid.)

In the past the 911 Turbo's where true killers, not only because all the weight was in the back of the car but because of the sudden power of the turbo. they did not have such advanced turbo's back in the 70's.

What happend was that the Turbo gave all it's power suddenly while not doing anything in the low revs and it did not increase steadely as with current turbo's it was like someone trew a handgranade in your engine. you where trown in your seat. and if that happend in a corner (started to accelerate to early) you would loose grip due to the sudden increase in power, and you would spin out of countrol.
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

SkeeteRX7 wrote:Some rear wheel drive cars have excellent handling, such as the Mazda RX-8 and RX-7
You forgot the MX-5. ;)
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

911 Carrera RS 2.7

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

Yeah, the MX-5 and 350z also. Anyway, does anyone here remember the 1973 911 Carrera RS 2.7 from NFS:PU? God, it makes me want to throw my laptop onto a highway. I'm stuck in Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed in the Carrera RS 2.7 tournament right now, because I restarted my game.
C2D T7500 2.2 ghz| 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570m|160 GB 7200 RPM|2 GB RAM- my laptop
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

It's funny, but when I first played Porsche 2000 (as I shall continue to call it, as that's what it says on my box!) I couldn't beat the Carerra RS 2.7 stage either.

However, I reinstalled the game again recently and sailed through it (apart from Schwarzwald - they don't make tracks like that anymore, thank the Lord!). It's all down to tuning - I simply put lots of downforce on the rear (I think) to stop the %^&* constantly spinning out - tried it all on the front, but it didn't help!

I think my favourite car from that game was the 944 Turbo S2 (I think it was called). Pity the 928S wasn't included as standard (it was as a download tho), my all time favourite Porker in real life.

Oh and as for wating to throw your laptop onto the highway - you want to try EA Cricket 2005. This game broke my keyboard! OK, it was only a leg, where I hit the ESC key a leeetle bit too hard after I got caught all out for 15 runs in an entire innings... on EASY!
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

I know, before I reset my file, I was in 2000 with a 911 Turbo. But my friend's little bro deleted my file. God-dam=
C2D T7500 2.2 ghz| 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570m|160 GB 7200 RPM|2 GB RAM- my laptop
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I the early Porsche 911 stages of NFS 5 where pretty hard.

races with cars like the 944 and the boxter where easy compared to the races with the 2.7 RS and the races with the first 911 turbo.

I did finish the games history mode, once you get to the 993 series it gets easier (the handling that is, but the oponenst go abit faster (they handle better also :lol:
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

I know, read the post above yours lol. Anyway, I'm turrning in for the night.
ozzWANTED
Ricer
Ricer

Post by ozzWANTED »

Only FWD and 4WD(AWD). I hate RWD, becouse the burnout is toooooo long. And cops catch me every time when I stop. RWD is useble only in a drift. I hate cars like Dodge Viper STR-10. Porsche 911 Turbo S with 4WD is really great car with the best grip in NFSMW. In other games my fovourite car is the 4WD Nissan Skyline GT-R.
p.s. sorry for my english.
Last edited by ozzWANTED on 08 May 2006, 22:44, edited 2 times in total.
BR#1, Most Wanted
Flameking
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Flameking »

my cobalt which is FWD has more handling than my maxed Evo which is AWD but has more speed. It also depends on how you custom tune it as well.

I used the cobalt for circuits, k.o
and evo for sprints and drags

and btw, yes. rwd cars have lags when starting due to too many wheel spin. awd and fwd have the same but are less likely to happen.
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

You freaking n00b...you know absolutely nothing about cars

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

ozzWANTED wrote:Only FWD, and BWD. I hate RWD, becouse the burnout is toooooo long. And cops catch me every time when I stop. RWD is useble only in a drift. I hate cars like Dodge Viper STR-10. Porsche 911 Turbo S with FWD is really great car with the best grip in NFSMW. In other games my fovourite car is the 4WD(BWD) Nissan Skyline GT-R.

BWD is RWD; n00b!!!!!!!!!!!
However, the real term is rear-wheel drive. There is a techinque to launching a rear-drive car! With front-engine, rear wheel drive vehicles, they are well balanced, so if one launches an FR at the right RPM's, they will pull quickly ahead It also depends on where the engine is placed. Read the above posts. Also, FWD is FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE, not AWD, which is All Wheel Drive. The 996 Turbo S is AWD!!!!!! For goodness sake, please read the posts before you post.
ozzWANTED
Ricer
Ricer

Re: You freaking n00b...you know absolutely nothing about ca

Post by ozzWANTED »

SkeeteRX7 wrote:
ozzWANTED wrote: ...p.s. sorry for my english.
BWD is RWD; n00b!!!!!!!!!!!
However, the real term is rear-wheel drive. There is a techinque to launching a rear-drive car! With front-engine, rear wheel drive vehicles, they are well balanced, so if one launches an FR at the right RPM's, they will pull quickly ahead It also depends on where the engine is placed. Read the above posts. Also, FWD is FRONT-WHEEL-DRIVE, not AWD, which is All Wheel Drive. The 996 Turbo S is AWD!!!!!! For goodness sake, please read the posts before you post.
I thought what RWD - Rear Wheel Drive;
FWD - Front Wheel Drive
4WD - Four Wheel Drive
AWD - All Wheel Drive
BWD - Both(Rear and Front) Wheel Drive. I didn't know what BWD means same luke RWD. And I sad:
...p.s. sorry for my english.
p.s. You're n00b too.
BR#1, Most Wanted
Stead
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Stead »

okay, excuse me for my noobist question, but...

What exactly is the difference between 4WD and AWD
now, from my simple understanding, 4 wheel drive means all 4 wheels are driven by the engine, now, from my simple understanding, AWD means all wheels are driven by the engine. (since in this game all the cars have 4 wheels, lets assdume that means all 4 wheels) :shock:

for some reason, i get really confused, how isthere a difference ebtween the 2, i know a friend o mine has got a suburu and keeps ranting about the how his cars so great because its got AWD or something instead of 4WD or the other way round, but how is one better htan theo ther? :roll:

now if the last poster is right and BWD means front and back (which i've never heard of before) how is that any different ?!?!
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

BWD = n00b term for rear-wheel-drive, thinking since the back-wheels go, it must be called back wheel drive.

RWD= the real term for a car in which the rear wheels have the power sent to them via crankshaft

AWD= all four wheels drive the car, and is usually used when talking about a car that does not need to turn off the awd system on dry pavement, and uses it all 4 wheels to enhance performance all the time and not necessairily always to go off-road. AWD is used also when the system automatically goes from front or rear wheel only power to the other set of wheels in a corner or in a situation where one experiences a loss of traction, such as in the case of SH-AWD from Acura's RL, and Symmetrical All-Wheel-Drive in Subarus. Another type of AWD is the Infiniti G35x/Nissan Skyline GT-R's ATTESA ET-S, where in most situations, the car is powered by the rear wheels except for in a turn, where the AWD kicks in, giving the R34 and V35 chassis the pluses (and minuses) of an FR or AWD car.

4WD-power is given to all four wheels. Usually this term is used for cars where you need to turn off the 4WD system on dry pavement and the 4WD system can be used on dry pavement for speeds up to 60 mph. This type of system is usually used for maximum traction offroad for trucks and is more rugged and less performance-oriented than the former.

FWD = power is given through the front wheels.

I'm sorry about the n00b comment.
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

SkeeteRX7 wrote:RWD= the real term for a car in which the rear wheels have the power sent to them via crankshaft
You don't even know what a crankshaft is. ALL CARS transmit power through the crankshaft, it's a part of the bloody engine. :roll:
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

I know what a crankshaft is, I was restating it for mr.n00b above.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

you clearly don't!
cause if you knew what it was you would never have used it.

Not all people have full knowlage about cars and you don't have to bash em for that. he asked a question and with that he states that he does not have the knowlage about it. so don't trow him to the ground by telling him he is basicly that he is a idiot (in your opinion!)
Stead
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Stead »

ah, so basically...

4wd is all wheels have power all the time?

awd is adaptive to conditions, and does a simular thing as traction control when in corners to avoid loosing control? :?

and its nice to see someone stick up for the little guy! thanks! and yea, i do'nt know much about cars, as you can proberly tell!

p.s. i always thoguht the crankshaft was related to starting the engine, and there was a driveshaft to give power to the wheels?
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

SkeeteRX7 wrote:I know what a crankshaft is, I was restating it for mr.n00b above.
Lmao, though you aren't really explaining it very clearly. All engines have a crankshaft, the pistons are attached to it.
Stead wrote:p.s. i always thoguht the crankshaft was related to starting the engine, and there was a driveshaft to give power to the wheels?
Pistons are attached to the crankshaft. Driveshaft is connected to the gearbox and wheels, and the gearbox is connected to the crankshaft with a clutch.

I think. :roll:
boganbusman
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by boganbusman »

PSZeTa wrote:Pistons are attached to the crankshaft. Driveshaft is connected to the gearbox and wheels, and the gearbox is connected to the crankshaft with a clutch.

I think. :roll:
It's a bit more complicated than that.

In a FWD car, it goes: Engine > flywheel > clutch > gearbox > differential > driveshafts > wheels

RWD car: Engine > flywheel > clutch > gearbox > tailshaft > differential > driveshafts > wheels

4WD car: Engine > flywheel > clutch > gearbox > transfer case (to send power to the front wheels through another diff and more driveshafts) > tailshaft > differential > driveshafts > rear wheels

For automatic cars, replace "flywheel > clutch" with a torque converter.

Edit: also,
PSZeTa wrote:Pistons are attached to the crankshaft.
The pistons are attached to connecting rods (aka conrods), which are connected to the crankshaft :wink:

Edit2: This thread = pwned 8)
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Sorry man.....

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

TheStig wrote:you clearly don't!
cause if you knew what it was you would never have used it.

Not all people have full knowlage about cars and you don't have to bash em for that. he asked a question and with that he states that he does not have the knowlage about it. so don't trow him to the ground by telling him he is basicly that he is a idiot (in your opinion!)

Sorry Stig, I was in a bad mood......and I'm sorry to who I called n00b.

My girlfriend broke up with me that day......jeez, now I feel bad. :cry:
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

boganbusman wrote:In a FWD car, it goes: Engine > flywheel > clutch > gearbox > differential > driveshafts > wheels

etc..
Yeah yeah yeah.. So when are you going to add all the gears? And the bolts to mount all parts too.. :P
boganbusman wrote:The pistons are attached to connecting rods (aka conrods), which are connected to the crankshaft :wink:
Lol, true.Would make a strange engine without those rods.
:roll:
Likes_to_Drift
Ricer
Ricer

Re: AWD v FWD v BWD

Post by Likes_to_Drift »

SkeeteRX7 wrote:.. they have the drivetrain in the rear and the engine in the front, allowing for near-perfect 50-50 weight distribution..
FR (front engine, rear drive) cars do not have a 'near perfect 50-50 weight distribution', they are extremely front heavy. For this reason, it is more likely that this configuration will oversteer in an overcooked turn since there is much less weight over the rear.]

most BMW's have near perfect 50-50 wieght distribution.

[The thing about driving ANY car is not to turn while braking, in normal circumstances.]

A few F1, Touring Car and Rally drivers actually use that technique. But that is maybe not "normal cicumstances"!
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

What? I always turn while braking.....
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

same here, even in real life... it's not the safest, but when you have to make sharp turns all of a sudden, you don't really have a choice...
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

The weight balance in an FR is the best for takeoffs, remember?

Return to “Most Wanted”