OMG, look, a newbie!

2005 Need for Speed Most Wanted
Vajra
Ricer
Ricer

OMG, look, a newbie!

Post by Vajra »

I haven't touched any driving/racing game since the time I was still in school, 4 years ago. But suddenly the topic of racing games came up during a gathering at a friend's place and he tossed me NFSU2 which he stopped playing a while ago.

Well I fired it up and was instantly hooked because it reminded me so much of my driving school days! LOL, the first thing I drove was the Honda Civic, where in RL I had played with (albeit the 4-door version). In the game, it somehow felt deja vu :P

Then I started racing and the next thing I noticed was that unlike my previous racing sim affairs, I didn't try to drive by ramming into corners and scraping around them, indeed, using proper braking and maneuvering technique saves one a lot of time and NOS. Maybe its just RL driving (and crashing in driving school) experience that teaches well, but its good to finally get a gaming experience that relays itself well to that.

Second deja vu came when I played a StreetX course - after we got our driving licenses our instructors setup this neat little Stage 4 like streetcross course for us to go learn cornering and braking techniques on, no wonder I'm naturally good at the game, ha!

Enough of intros - basically I felt that while NFSU2 doesn't claim to be the most realistic driving game around I found that the whole package was setup well enough for me to think as though I were at the wheel of an actual vehicle. That is, to me, all the "realism" required for me to enjoy my gaming experience. Things like the feeling of crashing and G forces, I can drop in with some imagination - after all at my second time in a Honda Civic I was doing what seems to be hairpin turns at breakneck speed :)

I see a lot of training vehicles plod away at 20-40kph clogging up streets - but trainees really are entitled to proceed at "proper" road speeds here. Even better when I was taking my bike license they all taunted that we would be riding at 120kph the moment we are set free on the roads, which I ended up doing. So long as no one crashes, no one bothers, especially at night where the collared folk are sleeping and I'm having fun with traffic light drag racing etc...

Gameplay stuff (finally)

I find that the Mazda MX-5 was for me the best starting vehicle, thanks to its perfect handling and controllability - while it doesn't drift it can rack up a huge score in the stadium for sashaying around the circuit non-stop on the shoulders! Fishtailing this thing is a ball of fun because it doesn't go out of control, ever.

But of course the little rotary engine doesn't provide much kick so it loses out at the end of stage 2. I was surprised it lasted so long because another career starting with the 206 had me looking for a better car midway in Stage 2.

Then after that I picked up the RX-8 which was, to me, twice better than the MX-5. More power, enough to do proper drifts on, and while it is heavier I liked the handling all the same.

Next came mountain course racing and once again the Mazda lost out from engine power. I decided not to be a Mazda fan anymore late in Stage 3 and with the fat bank I sought to create the modern rendition of the American muscle car out of either the GTO or the Mustang - after some test driving I decided on the latter not because of its stats but on how it handled. (yes, its rated worse than the GTO but stats aren't all that count...)

Skimping on the less effective upgrades and without its side skirts and fenders, the bloody monster won me some sprint and drag races just by sheer engine power and having passed its initiation, I decided to complete my favourite mount the NightMare (mare = female horse, get it). In red, black and silver livery, the thing barks like a monster out of my lovely speaker setup :)

Of course the heavy car doesn't do at all when it comes to corners but makes up for it very amply in straight lines.

And that's my NFSU2 experience so far - I intend to restart the singleplayer career yet again so I can try another starting vehicle (I had also missed out on some unlocks there). I haven't done much poking around the NFS community scenes yet, but I'm looking out for custom/new vehicles, mods and NFSMW. That thing about driving like in a Hollywood movie is obviously, incomplete without the police chases...
Fishwhiz
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Fishwhiz »

cool.
RazoR_MKD
Banned

Post by RazoR_MKD »

That`s a pretty damn long text man
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

You guys should read it instead of spamming "Thats a large amount of text man"
NFSBLUECIVIC
Professional
Professional

Post by NFSBLUECIVIC »

cool story, well said, ya mw is really fun, you should definately get it if you like the other nfs's.
Calibra_14
Banned

Post by Calibra_14 »

Stereo wrote:You guys should read it instead of spamming "Thats a large amount of text man"
You put it bad
"Thats a pretty damn large amount of text man"
Now that's correct 8)
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

And that's spam.

When I first started NFSU2, the Miata REALLY ticked me off because it was RWD, and so light. I kept doing donuts at tight turns. So I switched to the FWD Civic.

Cool to hear a beginner out-handled me though. :)
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

FYI, MX-5 aren't rotary powered. ;)
Vajra
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Vajra »

Psht! You can tell I'm not much of a car nut these days. An in-game car info screen would do wonders for me - since I don't know anything outside of Mitsu Lancers and Honda Civics XD (but there isn't a car info screen! Unlike what the in-game tip said). Right now I evaluate engine power in the dyno, handling in the test track etc etc.

I just noticed a visiting RX-8 below my apartment yesterday evening. Looks as good as the NFS one. Somehow the design of the thing appeals to me (angular lines, old-style elements etc).

And in-game I'm having fun with the unique parts on a heavily souped up Civic. (that somehow drifts so well even in stock I wonder if the real Civic can do that) Later it shall be sport sedan (IS300 for starters) racing to try out the challenge of handling a heavy 4-door crate. It will suffer in the StreetX of course.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

Not really. I managed to do sick shiznit in a Evo on a StreetX course once.
WhereIsTheNsx
Drift King
Drift King

Post by WhereIsTheNsx »

that's pretty funny, the first car i started with was the mazda mx-5 and i beasted with it until the end. Have you ever seen an Mx-5 with a wide body kit, not pretty. Second time around I used the 240sx and it's been my favorite ever since.
Vajra
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Vajra »

Having sat in Mitsu Lancers I can say they're my favourite RL car. Although they have small engines (we got the 1.3L version from car rental) they seem to have great performance and we cruised the Malayan highways at a constant 160kph. Although its a mere 1.3L powerplant we didn't have any problems with performance, which is surprising - good power/weight ratio?

I tried the IS300 and got it all souped up but the darn thing doesn't keep up in races and corners like crap. Too damned heavy and engine too small. I can of course drift around corners on momentum (in URL races) but the AI players keep banging into my car LOL. I keep finishing on third or last in the street racing courses.

I'm playing on hard difficulty now and it is more challenging. I've just wasted around 12k on the IS300 (which won me a *single* drag race so far) and will go back to the Civic until I unlock more upgrades.
bam_bam
Drift King
Drift King

Post by bam_bam »

Bam ane Elk design has a few custom vinyls for most wanted . you should check them out !
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

I used the Vauxhall Corsa all the way through from start to finish in U2. Tuned correctly, it was awesome for StreetX!

Unfortunately, it looked like a turtle by the end of the game, as I'd completely carbon-fibred it, thinking it woulkd make it lighter and faster - I forgot EA's unreality!

Oh, and on the subject of heavy cars - in MW, I've been using the A4 3.2 Quattro - originally bought for the pusruits, but I've actually found it a better drive than the Golf I was using :lol:
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

I used the MX-5 the whole way through (duh), but I didn't rice it out, just bought a low profile spoiler and rims for it.
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

Don't you have to add parts and reputation to your ride to advance to the next stage? I had to.....
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

That's why I bought another car and riced that one. ;)
Toshiro
Professional
Professional

Post by Toshiro »

Good choice.....
WhereIsTheNsx
Drift King
Drift King

Post by WhereIsTheNsx »

yea to get the 10 star video i riced out an escalade, all you have to do is put every single audio visual contraption alive in the trunk
RazoR_MKD
Banned

Post by RazoR_MKD »

rofl
SkeeteRX7
Drift King
Drift King

Post by SkeeteRX7 »

I made my favorite car, an SE3P.
C2D T7500 2.2 ghz| 256 MB NVIDIA Quadro FX570m|160 GB 7200 RPM|2 GB RAM- my laptop
hugh750
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by hugh750 »

You should try the fiat punto it's fwd and pretty easy to drive. :D
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Read again.. It's UG2, not MW. ;)
hugh750
Turbo Charged