"Catch Up" AI is totally ruining my gaming experie

2005 Need for Speed Most Wanted
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

@ Darknight788 - One thing I forgot to add in my email to you:

I made a stupid mistake with the LZC file at first - it got named "gameplay.lzc.bin", and crapped out for me as well. After deleting the ".bin" it was fine. Make sure you set Windows on your PC to display file extensions for known file types, so as you are not suffering the double-extension problem I was. #-o

EDIT: Of course, the OTHER file must still be called "gameplay.bin". I hope that made sense... I know what I mean, even if no one else does 8-[
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

prince1142003 wrote:i tried sysinternals only to find the game is loading GLOBALA.BUN, then GlobalMemoryFile.bin, and crashing. any help, arushan?
Then GlobalMemoryfile.bin is missing or corrupt. Not sure what exactly the problem is for you, but when I replace that file with a copy of FrontEndMemoryFile.bin, it works fine here. If you want to check... after replacing, the contents of GlobalMemoryFile.bin should be:
00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 99 99 21 53 00 00 00 00
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

it's the way it should be. do you think it could have something to do with DEP?
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

I tried thes steps, they worked out just fine, no probs what so ever. I only edited the gameplay.bin-file and either i am starting to race better or the editing is actually working.
I beated Big lou in a Supra with almost all performance available installed and won the races with about 6 to 7 seconds to Lou.Big thanks to everyone who has participated in this effort.I'll keep posting my finds.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

One other discovery I made after using the disable AI Catch Up Patch:

The AI cars use the shortcuts much more than they used to with Catch Up enabled. This is at BlackList 4 level. I'll start a new game when I've finished this career and see what happens at the earlier stages.

However, it is cool that both us and the AI are playing by the same rules! 8)
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

yes no more cheating from the computer.
OFF TOPIC---- after each race your opponenets are still buzzing around and they only stay around for a short while unless you are in a pursuit. My Question is, is there a way to make it so that they are always around. it would be cool because it would kind off be like UG2 where you chase cars throughout the city
xHaZxMaTx
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by xHaZxMaTx »

Heh, I've had opponents come around a corner and run right into me like 10 minutes after the race was over. :lol:
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

darknight788 wrote:yes no more cheating from the computer.
OFF TOPIC---- after each race your opponenets are still buzzing around and they only stay around for a short while unless you are in a pursuit. My Question is, is there a way to make it so that they are always around. it would be cool because it would kind off be like UG2 where you chase cars throughout the city
You mean the "Outrun" races, wich gave you acces to "special parts".
Think this is kinda hard, because the A.I. needs routines, pathes troughout the city.
Since MW is 2,3 times bigger then UG2, it would be very hard to accomplish this.
This kinda action needs the author to basicly re-write certain pieces of the A.I.

@Darren, I raced blacklist #12 and #11, and like you sad, number #11 almost never took shortcuts, although the track had a lot of'em.
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

@ GT3x24x7:

Is there any chance of adding the "Disable AI Catch-Up Hack" to the Frequently Asked Questions section of this site? Or maybe making it a "Sticky"?

Just wondering (from a purely selfish perspective) as I'm probably going to need to reinstall Windows on my PC in the not too distant future.

Cheers 8)
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

DarrenR21373 wrote:@ GT3x24x7:

Is there any chance of adding the "Disable AI Catch-Up Hack" to the Frequently Asked Questions section of this site? Or maybe making it a "Sticky"?

Just wondering (from a purely selfish perspective) as I'm probably going to need to reinstall Windows on my PC in the not too distant future.

Cheers 8)
Probabbly won't be nessesary... I'll be releasing a "Mod Loader" version of that hack, so that manual hex editing is not required.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

do you think a no license plate option will also be possible to include with the mod loader? i've been unsuccesful in all my attempts.
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

That whould be outstanding,an all-in-one tool for various improvements.Good for people with less technical knowledge of hex-editing.
Dr@g0n R@g3
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Dr@g0n R@g3 »

yea this will be good and i agree the catch up is totally balls, 3,000 feet ahead then 2 seconds later there right up ya backside again. its like they have super motors or summat :cry: :evil:
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

I surely hope that Arushan gets this to work, personally, I wouldn't know how to start. How do you for example make an exe-file with the work of hex-editing the respective files.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

if your are talking about the hex editing it is relatively easy
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

Yup - Arushan's instructions were so clear and easy, even I could do the hex editing (something I'd never done before).

However, it would be awesome to have the option included in a Mod Loader. This would rock! Arushan, you really are a living God =D>
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

I'm not in perticular talking about the hex-editing itself, just "molding" the hex-editing itself into a .exe-file or a file that can be loaded via the mod-loader.
Redhawk8810
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Redhawk8810 »

I just beat MW today, catch up never really bothered me that much.
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

it was never a problem for me either but it is still very annoying when you look and it says they are 4000 + feet back and then all of a sudden in less than 1 mile they are smashing into you from behind :x
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

It's "catch-up", not "overtake and leave behind". They where catching-up all the way, once the A.I. racers were back on your tail, they would get a speed-boost so they could leave the player behind, so the player would benefit from the catch-up feature.only,500 meters till the finsh is way to short for the catch-up to actually give the player a chance to catch-up.So according to my p.o.v. , many players were angry at this feature, cause it wasn't profitable to drive the entire race in first position, with the oppsition 5 to 10 sec behind, they would always catch-up, overtake, and leave the player behind, about 500m
before the finish.Sometimes it would be best not to go full speed, but hold back a bit, so the A.I. would stay a few meters behind you, and in the final straight,you would blast off and win.But where's the sence in that....?
DarrenR21373
Professional
Professional

Post by DarrenR21373 »

In theory catch-up was a good idea, ensuring you got a close race at all times. Unfortunately, in practice, it was just badly executed, leading to exactly what everyone has said above.

I will add that I've completed MW about 20 times now with catch-up on, it was just annoying as hell especially at the earlier levels where your car is like a slug, so if they pass you you have no chance of catching up. I've just completed a game, the second half of which had Catch-Up disabled (which has made the gaming experience so far superior, the option really should have been included to turn it off from day one!) and I've just started a new game, with Catch-Up off which is proving that at the earlier stages, IMHO, this is the way the game should have been from the beginning. If you drive cleanly, you win, if you severely feck up, you still lose. Sweet.
espresso
Ricer
Ricer

Post by espresso »

Editing-related post removed. Please select the appropriate forum and thread before posting your questions. This thread is concerned with the 'catch-up' feature of the NFS series, not hex editing in UltraEdit. -GT
H3ll$pawn
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by H3ll$pawn »

Damnn just as I started to enjoy this game again, I experienced frustration again: EARL, blacklist boss #9.This guy is not super-fast, but no matter how far he falls behind in the sprint-race, at 60 to 70% he manages to get back up my sleeves.Annoying liitle fella if U ask me. I doubt that catch-up is behind this. I read several walk-trough's explaining that what car you use doesn't matter, he's always faster.I'm currently driving a maxed-out Supra, would upgrading to a GTO make a difference, or should I practice the sprint-course t'ill i can I drive it with my eyes closed?
tony24567
Banned

Post by tony24567 »

catch up is cool

i want to know who is behind me
darknight788
official forum redneck
official forum redneck

Post by darknight788 »

no its not it sucks

Return to “Most Wanted”