Riding the walls in NFSU2

2004 Need for Speed Underground 2
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Riding the walls in NFSU2

Post by jeffr »

nice to see someone who got a start at ruining the online community..by f***ing up the normal racing tactics.
Railing walls was first introduced in NFS5 (Porsche Unleashed, although at Outback in NFS2, you could bounce off that first wall). I noted during the first days of the demo of NFSU (the first one) that railing would also help lap time there (more like bouncing off the fencing in the garden section of Market Street).

So railing the walls in NFSU2 isn't anything new. Look at any competitive lap with NFSU at Olympic or Stadium and you'll see wall bouncing / railing.

NFS5 was probably the worst on some tracks, like bouncing off the walls of the series of tunnels at Auvergne.

NFS High Stakes eliminated wall riding by making the walls (or any off track obstacle) stick like velcro to your car, slowing it down drastically. If EA wants to make a game where players don't ride the walls, I suggest they implement the wall physics of NFS High Stakes, it may not be realistic, but it definately forces the players to run clean laps. Better yet, line the walls with something that stops the cars, like tires, or large posts, street lamps would work here.
inev
Stock
Stock

Post by inev »

I mesaged TheStig stating about the same thing.
Either EA make you slow down faster from walls, implent car damage, or this will remain to be a part of the game.

Anyway, in the end it's not that much of a problem. You can almost treat the railing turns as circuit straights and focus on the turns you DO need to break for.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

the worst thing is that even if car should flip because of impact it stays on wheels........in NFSU1 it was more easy to flip car from side impact then in NFSU2
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Weather you like it or not, in the real world, riding the walls us actually faster.
BUT! Why doesn't people do it?
Well the car will be in pretty bad shape afterwards, missing doors, broken windows etc.
But thats what damage resolved, however, before EA looks at their walls and riding the rails, I suggest they fix their braking and grip, I mean, the car doesn't lose its grip, so sometimes you need to crash into the wall and use a technique called: "Crash and drift" to clear corners in the speed you want to, sideways.

I use wall riding only if I am forced to it, such as the need to catchup quickly, but that is rare, very rare, I rely mostly on good gearbox and brake work which gives me oversteer.
We may publish our race drifting techniques when NFSU 2 is out.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Riding the walls in NFSU2

Post by TheStig »

the message from inev, really enlightend me *cough*NOT*cough*

the simple fact is that maybe it could be faster in real life, but I wouldn't dare doing it... 1 even with like 50 Km/h you would get rather heavy damage on your car by sliding against a wall (paint, bodywork) but litterly CRASHING into a wall with 200 Km/h would total your car... especially the way it is used in NFS U1/2 by doing almost a streight crash into a wall and bouncing of. you would completely rip open your car.

ever seen the WRC races... they can rip off a complete wheel including the steering and axels with a small crash against a wall and these cars are really tough made!

[quote="jeffr"]I suggest they implement the wall physics of NFS High Stakes, it may not be realistic, but it definately forces the players to run clean laps[quote]

I really like that line... :? never knew walls have lower friction then the road... if so I suggest riding the walls instead of the road :wink:

but ok back to the game... cause that what tis is about.

do what you guys feel like...

you probebly wont see me online (already happy it got lan support so I can play lag free, with people who do apriciate normal tactics)
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

I really like that line... never knew walls have lower friction then the road... if so I suggest riding the walls instead of the road
In NFS High Stakes, the walls have much more friction than the road. They seem to almost grab a car and slow it down, even with a slight scrape. Combine this with the shortcuts of the game which are narrow, taken at full throttle and often with a pegged steering wheel and you have quite a challenge. That first shortcut in NFSU2 is similar.
Bauke777
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Bauke777 »

There's thing called Race Breaker in NFSU2 which means when switched on in an online game u get awarded by driving clean laps, prolly something like the "clean section" stylepoints u get in NFSU1. It can actually double the amount of nitro u get in a game.

So now ppl are going into freeruns to find out which variant is the fastest: 10 laps of wallriding or 10 clean laps w/ 200% extra nitro...

But if u can drive clean laps AND ur clocking fast laptimes, it's in the pocket 8)
orvnahum_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by orvnahum_ »

Wow, didn't know that. Was wondering what that race breaker was, sounds cool :)
jobo9
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jobo9 »

I think clean drivers, who make good style points have a advantage on wallriders, the 200% nos (as EA Calls it :P ) gives a huge boost, for a relative long period! on the on straight roads u'r much fadter at top speed, and in the corners, u accelerate quicker.
I'm not sure if wallriders are quicker out of the corners tough...
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

i usually try to power slide right trough corner, but when someone pissing me off by messing up my angle, i start messing up his too.
Whats the point of trying to make some nice and fast slide into turn when some ass ram your car?
inev
Stock
Stock

Re: Riding the walls in NFSU2

Post by inev »

TheStig wrote:the message from inev, really enlightend me *cough*NOT*cough*
(...)
you probebly wont see me online (already happy it got lan support so I can play lag free, with people who do apriciate normal tactics)
Nice.
I guess it comes down to how you look at NFSU. I play for instance RBR a great deal and loved DTM/Touringcar style games for their realism. However, I don't play NFSU(2) with realism in mind. I play it as an arcade racer in which my sole purpose is to drive the fastest lap time possible.
In NFSU I went around the laps countless times looking for bugs to go faster. The fact that the fastest way to drive is not the realistic way to drive is a shame, but that's the way it is.
Bauke777
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Bauke777 »

yea same here. I'm driving w/ the manual gearbox for a month now and u can't blow ur engine which is not much of reality also :? so at difficult corners I just shift back 2 gears orso to slow down. Just as wallriding isn't much to reality... But I definately think clean laps rule. Respect to them that have clean laps AND r fast doing them (still can't tackle 1st corner in Olympic ;) )
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Abrams wrote:i usually try to power slide right trough corner, but when someone pissing me off by messing up my angle, i start messing up his too.
Whats the point of trying to make some nice and fast slide into turn when some ass ram your car?
Well thats when I turn mad, like Takumi in Initial D, and I ram them off the road in payback style.
Usually helps letting them know when I time my ram, and make him spin out.
Morale of the story? Don't ram me, I just pay you back.
Abrams
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Abrams »

The most thing that annoy me its that jump in demo curcuit!
When im first and trying to maintain a good stable jump to enter shortcut, someone always hit me and i ride right into wall

Return to “Underground 2”