Your drift technique?

2003 Need for Speed Underground
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Your drift technique?

Post by Drewb99 »

Floor it past the tiny turns and handbrake on the hairpins? Wobbling back and fourth for an inertial drift? Going 10MPH through the bonus zones like a little kiddie? Upshifts? Downshifts? FWD? RWD? AWD?

Personally, I upshift/downshift rapidly on small turns (works like a weaker handbrake but much better for holding in revvs), for tighter turns and hairpins I haven't quite figured out what I do (and I crash whenever I try to figure it out, before I even learned to shift all the way it became instinct), but from what I've pieced together I (in 2nd gear) upshift/downshift, brake, downshift, floor it. Manual 240SX all the way, it's the only other car except the Supra that I've actually been able to drive this way (and whatever amazing stuff I do in that car gets duplicated in the 240SX pretty easily). A very satisfying way to drive, if I do say so myself :D

One of the better things about drifting is that everyone does it differently, so let's hear your story!
LancerevoVIII
Ricer
Ricer

Post by LancerevoVIII »

Personally, I never go past gear three, Only use FR cars, and use the normal brake and not the hand brake. I swerve to do the inertia drift most of the time.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Well, I got a high pace so in Multiplayer I tend to take the lead off the starting block, if I wait like some people do, I normally catch the others and I lose big 100k's due to lag or people crashing into me.

My drift technique is rather simple, but hard to explain, when I look at a corner all I see is different lines I can take, I often downshift to help getting my FD3S (RX-7) sideways quickly and wobbling on the straights like a drunk driver.

I use the brake to hold a specific drift line, especially when cutting corners at 120 KPH and there is a risk of hitting it, allows me to save the score at the probabillity of losing the ability to improve it.
But I use the downshift and upshift to regulate the slide, if I need to cancel a drift, I downshift while flooring the throttle, works very good for cutting down a corner.

I also downshift on corner entry to maintain revs and if it starts going slow, neutral is nice to get a good launch again.

Still, in my young days, I lost to a black 240SX belonging to a driver called Spikeracing or was it spikedracing, but anyways, I would like to drift that guy again, because I have improved since then.
Just Me
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Just Me »

I don't really have a technique when I'm drifting. Still looking for the perfect car for drifting.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Well, the RX7 is supposed to be the perfect if you balance it properly (Find the right combination of level upgrades)
On our website it says: "Turbo power, a great aid on the straightaway, but disturbs handling in the corners. It is like a double edged sword."

So a short hint, try using stock turbo on the RX7 ;) Tell me what you are able to do, but that isn't the best balancing, the best one is for RedSuns members only.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

The 240SX would be the best car to use if the game was realistic, it has perfect 50/50 weight distribution.

As for me, I always use RWD cars, downshift, feint then accelerate out of the corner. Using that method I always get the inside line.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
Just Me
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Just Me »

Best I ever did was 800 thousend something in a lvl3 Impreza with stock tires. Used the automatic ( i know! I'm learing to drive manual now) and no launch control (dunno the real name but it's under options --> car --> second option turned off)

I did it al drift track 6 10 laps and some crashes :(

But i'll give both the RX-7 (stock engine turbo manual shifting) and the 240 SX manual shifting a go.

Thanx for that smal tip and the cars!!!
Supraholic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Supraholic »

I use my Supra and just floor the gas :twisted:

I dont think thats drifting, lol

But i get good scores!

http://home.no/lowbrush/1,5mill.jpg
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

I use my eclipse with all lvl2 tuning parts and 3 tj's engine ecu and nos and i get higher score's with gears on auto then on manual

Most time i use drift track number 2 5 laps i use one lap to get up to speed and drift the other 4 remaining laps in one single chained drift
Supraholic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Supraholic »

speaking of chaining... http://home.no/lowbrush/longdrfit.jpg
(its not long but its a Supra for christs sake)
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

Nice 5 continues laps and by looking at the background u used drift track 2
Morty
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Morty »

I'm no expert at drifting (mainly because I prefer automatic), but I did manage a 223000 drift once :)
My best result is a little over 1,1 mill (10 laps, track 6). I don't remember the exact result, but I'll try to improve it a little... Haven't drifted for months... I still haven't managed 2 fully chained laps yet (only 1,5), so I've got myself a goal :)

Btw, I use the RX-7, max tuned all over, but I'm gonna go a bit back on the tires (lvl 1 or 2)...
Maverick2K4
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Maverick2K4 »

I'm trying to incorporate techniques from BMI's Drift Bible into NFS Underground. Some of the easier drifts are easy to do, but I'm still practicing. So far I got the braking drift to work on the hairpin U-turn on Drift Track 7 with the Eclipse.
Denao
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Denao »

I drive an Integra. I use automatic and on t2 10 laps I can do 900 000. The bigest I did was 920 000 online and 950 000 offline. I don't have a specific method except for staying in the bonus line.
Supraholic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Supraholic »

*cough* lame, integra *cough*

:roll: :roll: :lol:
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

Hey do you have a problem with integra. Just go to the best circuit and drag times topic's and see what i have done with a Integra i know i beat the shiznit out off you anyday with the Integra even if you use a RX7
LancerevoVIII
Ricer
Ricer

Post by LancerevoVIII »

oy oy DOR no need for flames now. LOL.
but I have to admit, me going to an integra from a RX7, I can see that the integra is kinda underrated. I can hold its own.

As for the drifting, the FD is a good car for it as well as the 240SX. it all depends on personal style.
Hell you could also go on a miata.
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

For drifting i use a eclipse or 240SX. There one off the best cars used for drifting and the integra is not to bad but you must know how to drive one off does before you can drift with it. If you can't handle it on the circuit then don't try to drift with it.
donaldgladden
Professional
Professional

Post by donaldgladden »

i just get a car with good acceleration and right before the corner i let off and then get back on and that causes the car to get real loose.i wolud recommend a RX7 i would give you pics but i play on PS2
Supraholic
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Supraholic »

Dragon-of-Rune wrote:Hey do you have a problem with integra. Just go to the best circuit and drag times topic's and see what i have done with a Integra i know i beat the shiznit out off you anyday with the Integra even if you use a RX7
god i hate EA, that would never happend in real life... :roll:

Supra vs Integra= Supra win
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

You think so. I think with the right engine and mods a Integra can beat the shiznit out off a supra in real life aswell. Some people think low off Integra's but they really don't know the real power behind one.
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Stock Vs Stock - Supra wins

Tuned Vs Tuned (with equal amounts spent) - Supra wins

And this is all based upon the Type R, the fastest model. Even the NA Supra will whip the Integra. Integras are nice cars, dont get me wrong, but they are aimed at a sports car market. A Supra is a Japanese supercar.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

man even a austin Minor can beat it... if it had a hugely powerfull engine a and all sorts of upgrades...

everything theoreticly can beat a other car.... but simply theoretical

and the integra is more a match for the Celica then the supra

for the supra Honda made the NSX
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Just remember. There is a good reason that not many people tune Integras for racing.
Drewb99
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Drewb99 »

?

Depends on the track really. The supra is, afterall, a boat of a car that's heavier than half the cars on the road. The Teg might be FWD, but it's light enough to still be a good bit more nimble than the Supra. On a large, open track a Supra would probably dominate, but the more curves there are the more advantage the Integra would have. On a course with frequent hairpins and rapid turns, the Integra would win rather easily (and if it's only a 2 lane course, the Supra would probably have to squeeze through some of the corners or risk getting its fenders scraped off).

Return to “Underground”