Drag & NOS Techniques

2003 Need for Speed Underground
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Drag & NOS Techniques

Post by GraX »

Ok i want to have a nice chat here with no spamming and double consecutive posting.
What are we gonna chat here about is Drag & NOS tips and tricks.
So i tell u i have a Mazda RX-7 and i make consistently 19.25-19.30 with 6/6 and i want to know how do others use NOS.
So i wait for your suggestions, especially from Kor0. :D
Matrix//Chick
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Matrix//Chick »

Dang.....demanding, arent we.

For me, it all depends on what I'm driving and what I'm up against. :P
Grez~Supra_RZ-S
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by Grez~Supra_RZ-S »

A word of advice, people will mock your intellignece for calling it NOS. NOS is a brand name, much in the same way as Ford for example. Its correct term is N20. The way its supposed to be used is in the higher rpms.
*sig removed for being too big. limitations are 550x120px & 50kb*
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by GraX »

Ok i knew it's N2O (Nitrous 2 Oxide) but what i wanted to talk about here was the nitrous techniques and how do u use it the n2o, so i want suggestions.
But since NOS is almost the biggest brand for nitrous i decided to post it with the name of NOS.
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by GraX »

So anybody can talk about some drag techniques and how to get fast times?
I heard that the WR of Drag is 18.53 Offline by Skroting but i don't figure it out how he uses the nitro and i'm sure he's not cheating.
So any suggestions??
vuduBoy
Ricer
Ricer

Post by vuduBoy »

I usually press on the n20 button before switching in each gear to catch as much speed as possible..thats my tehnique.I guess is not the most efficient but i use it
I would like to know more tehniques..
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by GraX »

Yes i want more tips as well!!!
So i'll wait for Kor0 because he is the Drag Master because he was born to Drag.
All the RESPECT for him! Maybe he will help me and all of us!
Dragon-of-Rune
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Dragon-of-Rune »

One tip use N2O before each gear change and tap it when you are in the 5th or 6th gear for the final stretch. don't use everything on the start and gear change
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Yeah actually the video of Skroting doing 18.53 drag is on my site :x

You could download it and watch it if you haven't already. I'm sure that his technique is what everyone else does, and that is just tapping the NOS button.

I usually start out and don't use NOS(im gonna do this to weewee off grez ;) ), until I get to third gear depending on the car. Sometimes I'll do it in 2nd but you usually go through the gear to fast and if you spray then you will over rev. Then I just tap the NOS( :) ) button until it gets to the perfect shift for the next gear. Once in 6th I use it up until it's at peek speed before redline(217, 218mph - somewhere in there). Then whatever I have left I use towards the end and push the car as fast as it can and it starts to overheat and is usually at the point that it is going to blow up by the time it crosses the finish.

So that's how I do.... I dunno I've only completed underground like 13 times so maybe I dunno wtf I'm talking about.
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:NOS is a brand name. Its correct term is N20.
Wow I have always called it N2O, considering NOS is a brand name (from Holley) I am happy to see Im not the only :D
On the other hand NOS means Nitrous Oxyde System(s) so it is not a crazy thing to call it NOS.
Conclussion: The system is NOS, the material (the gas) is N2O. Is it correct my theory?? Anyways I like to call it N2O
PSZeTa
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by PSZeTa »

Dani350z wrote:
Grez~Supra_RZ-S wrote:NOS is a brand name. Its correct term is N20.
Wow I have always called it N2O, considering NOS is a brand name (from Holley) I am happy to see Im not the only :D
On the other hand NOS means Nitrous Oxyde System(s) so it is not a crazy thing to call it NOS.
Conclussion: The system is NOS, the material (the gas) is N2O. Is it correct my theory?? Anyways I like to call it N2O
Yes..

N20 is the scientific name. NOS is a brand, just like Nitrous Express.

I usually tap the NOS ( :wink: ) from second gear, I have enough to reach max speed.
Skyline_man
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Skyline_man »

well, i made eveything like the video, 6\6 perfect shifts, using the same N20 technique, U.P: TRNS/ENG/NOS , and i cant get more than 19.23.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

GraX wrote:I heard that the WR of Drag is 18.53 Offline by Skroting but i don't figure it out how he uses the nitro
This is from my guide:

When using nos, you don't want to hold the button for too long. It loses it's explosive effect after a few tenths. That's why you want to release the nos-button after approximately .3 of a second, then quickly push it back it for another three tenths. Let's say that "-" represents .10 of a second with nos, and "." is the short amount of time it takes to release the button and push it back in, then this is how I use nos:

1st: -
2nd: -
3rd: ---.---
4th: ---.---.--.--
5th: ---.--
6th: ---.---.---.--- (*) --.--.--

*) At this point you should reach top-speed, which is 352 km/h (218 mph). If you use any more nos now, you will overheat and blow your engine. That's why you should time your last nos so the engine will blow just after you pass the finishline. You have to find this point for yourself, but in a fast run (sub 19 secs), it should be used around 15-15.5 secs.

Note 1: Don't EVER let go of the nos and wait for the rpm to increase enough to get a perfect shift! A shift should always come right as you let go of the nos-button, and the nos should always be applied again right after you shift.
Lets add "s" (for "shift") to the already existing symbols, and a complete race should look like this:

-s-s---.---s---.---.--.--s---.--s---.---.---.---[ ]--.--.--

As you can see, also I refer to nitrous as "nos". Why? Because it's common. Like "Q-tip". Q-tip is also a brand, but cotton swabs in general are usually referred to as Q-tip.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Well I can pull off 20 Secs on Main Street Construction with all that freakin junk in my path and with traffic off course...
Well my NOS technique is hard to say, I allways search for new techniques, I never settle thats why I get better and better each day, and thats why I sometimes lose big time because the new technique I tried was slower...
exonn
Professional
Professional

Post by exonn »

am starting using nos from a second gear, pressing a NOS buton wery fast and lots of time.... with my s2000 i can make 19.51, i always got some nos in the end and always use it. the heat is critical but it doesntmater because the finish is in few seconds. somtimes my engine blows after finish. but its after finish and am a winer. ;)
samurilos
Drift King
Drift King

Post by samurilos »

I used to call it Nitro but since NFSU came in everyones been callin it NOs, anyway my drag technique is tappin the N20 button in between gears until it the gauge meter shows that is near to the point where you'll get the perfect shift, you gotta get use to a car to us ethis method, but I'm not really great at drag, I'm mor of a racer, I'm just ok at drifting too, and this is on pc, on ps2 i'm not as good, I guess its the keyboard anyway thats my tech.
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by GraX »

OK i'm back after a day of practice at dragging and what i've got is my new personal best of 19.02 and an average of 19.20-19.25.
Driving the RX-7 with Trans, ECU, NOS a 6/6 off course but nobody said almost exactly how many taps do i have to do in each gear starting from the 2nd.
Anyway i saw Skroting was here (respect man), i think your the WORLD CHAMP at dragging but your method isn't the same that u use on the video of 18.53.
So i'm still waiting suggestions.
FfFuriouSsSs
Stock
Stock

Post by FfFuriouSsSs »

I would like to know how do you get the first perfect shift (at the start). It's the only that i can't always do the perfect.
I would like to know if you do it at the keyboard and not using those pedals.
About my technique of using the N2O, i just can't tell you too, because i'm initiating drag ... i'm good at circuits !!!
But i really would like to know about the first gear ...
o0Yo FLipsidER JQ0o
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by o0Yo FLipsidER JQ0o »

I'm starting to disbelive this 18 second thing..

Its seriously impossible on the PS2 and console versions.
So perhaps the computer version ahs an inacurate time.
TheStig
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by TheStig »

I forgot to mock, so here I go

it is Not Nitrous 2 Oxide

but simply Nitrous Oxide.
the 2 has a chemical meaning to the name.

won't go deeper about it...

want more... google it :P
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

o0Yo FLipsidER JQ0o wrote:I'm starting to disbelive this 18 second thing..

Its seriously impossible on the PS2 and console versions.
So perhaps the computer version ahs an inacurate time.
It's possible. Plenty of people do it.
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

lol, why would you say the PS2 is impossible? I bet I could do it if I practiced. You have a slight advantage with PS2 with the pressure sensitive buttons. If you can find the sweet spot to get the RPM to sit at perfect shift on the start, then your set. Because that's really all that it's about is nailing the start. The rest of the race is fairly simple. Just drive in a straight line and tap the boost button.
Killer Instinct
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Killer Instinct »

Sp3aK wrote:lol, why would you say the PS2 is impossible? I bet I could do it if I practiced. You have a slight advantage with PS2 with the pressure sensitive buttons. If you can find the sweet spot to get the RPM to sit at perfect shift on the start, then your set. Because that's really all that it's about is nailing the start. The rest of the race is fairly simple. Just drive in a straight line and tap the boost button.
Totally true. i have both a PS2 and a PC and the only thing I miss in the keyboard is pressure sensetivity. It makes life a lot easier, especially the analog steering. That's the main reason why I'm thinking about getting a game pad for my PC :D
GraX
Ricer
Ricer

Post by GraX »

The perfect shift at the beggining of the race u get it if u have the trans TJ unique and if u keep the needle at maximum 8500 RPM, after that u overrev it and i still can't make it below 19.02 because of that thing called nitrous.
And where is Kor0 and Skroting when u need them man.
Somebody contact them and tell them about this topic and their skills are required once more!
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

TheStig wrote:I forgot to mock, so here I go

it is Not Nitrous 2 Oxide

but simply Nitrous Oxide.
the 2 has a chemical meaning to the name.

won't go deeper about it...

want more... google it :P
The meaning N2O is a chemical formula. 2 molecules of Nitrous and 1 molecule of oxygen. (I'm not sure if it's molecues but just a guess.)
Last edited by Stereo on 20 Aug 2004, 01:12, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Underground”