steering wheel

2003 Need for Speed Underground
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

steering wheel

Post by EmptyWords »

i was wondering if anyone plays wiht a steering wheel for PC, which one they use?? can u control lthe throttle etc. just the basic info, and is it better to play with it or with the keyboard?
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

I've played with a keyboard, steering wheel, as well as a joystick. out of all 3 I like the keyboard the best, but that's just my preference. For a non-simulation game like this I find it much better. However if you were to start playing rally games, or F1 racing simulation games then definately go for a wheel. I'd say anything by Logitech would be a safe choice for a wheel.
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

yeah i was just lookin at the logitech site, im not willing to spend mroe than 40 or 50 bucks, and they dont have throtlle control and thats what im seeking, i think im jsut gnona go to circuit city or bestbuy to check uot what they got, but i can bet ill be wastnig my time
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Throttle control? You mean pedals? Well the thing about them is that the game isn't setup on PC to have pressure sensitive buttons, to my knowledge anyways. So if you touch the throttle even a bit it's goin all the way up. But I could be wrong. On the PS2 though you have pressure sensitive buttons so you can kinda get the RPM to a certain spot. The only thing your really gonna gain on that though is maybe a bit better reaction with the start of a drag race, in any other situation it wouldn't matter.
EmptyWords
Professional
Professional

Post by EmptyWords »

i know, about that, and yeah i bet it woudl be better for drag racing, but i find haveing a steering wheel more enjoyjable when playing a racing game, tomorow i gonna go to m ylocla game stop and radio shack maybe they have something , and maybe pc richards.. have you ever heard of Xmods?? the lil toy car things?
Apex
Stock
Stock

Post by Apex »

NFSU can use two controllers at the same time. I tried keyboard, wheel (MS Sidewinder, non-FF) and a combo and I like the combo best.

I use pedals for throttle and brake (brake? well, sometimes anyway), but steering with keys. The keys are just perfect for steering. A wheel is too much work and the cars have so much grip in this game that cornering is easy. And the pedals are fine for throttle, at starts (esp. drag of course) and to ease off a little in/before corners when needed.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy a wheel just for this game (I play a lot of Race Driver 2, and for that game you just need a wheel IMO), the only real added value is that's easier to maintain constant (ideal) revs at the start.
Apex
Stock
Stock

Post by Apex »

Just a thing I missed in my first post:
Sp3aK wrote:Throttle control? You mean pedals? Well the thing about them is that the game isn't setup on PC to have pressure sensitive buttons, to my knowledge anyways. So if you touch the throttle even a bit it's goin all the way up. But I could be wrong.
I think you are wrong, throttle control works fine on my system ;) Thing is that you only need 'detailed' (for a lack fo a better word) throttle control at starts.
Squeaky Brakes
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Squeaky Brakes »

I've got this thing from Game (shop) and u shove it in the USB port and on the other end is an adaptor so dat u can use a Ps2 controller (or dualshock 2), it recognises it as a HiD (human interface device) and works like a dream for me, only a tenner aswell.... 8)
VladikRudy0017
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VladikRudy0017 »

i have a logitech steering wheel with pedals, a wireless controller from logitech for the pc but for nfsu i prefer the keyboard, im just good with it.
Nemesis_X
Stock
Stock

Steering Wheel

Post by Nemesis_X »

I've tried playing NFS:U with Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel and the results were great :>
In fact I can't handle it as fast as with a gamepad though, I use
a steering wheel only for fun or simulation.
My opinion: Gamepad/Keyboard IS the total control of the car:}
SunnyGTiR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SunnyGTiR »

i use a saitek p750 gamepad, no complaints, couldnt find an adapter for a console gamepad.
BluePhirePB
Drift King
Drift King

Post by BluePhirePB »

I use the Microsoft Sidewinder wheel. It didn't cost too much and has really good pedal and wheel response. There are gear shift buttons on the back of the wheel and 6 programmable buttons on the front. It however, doesn't have FFB.
Sweeper
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Sweeper »

Sp3aK wrote:Throttle control? You mean pedals? Well the thing about them is that the game isn't setup on PC to have pressure sensitive buttons, to my knowledge anyways. So if you touch the throttle even a bit it's goin all the way up. But I could be wrong. On the PS2 though you have pressure sensitive buttons so you can kinda get the RPM to a certain spot. The only thing your really gonna gain on that though is maybe a bit better reaction with the start of a drag race, in any other situation it wouldn't matter.
It helps to have half open throttle in mid drifts on cars that easily spins out.
Mercedes CL600 for an example in Gran Turismo 3, too hard throttle work, even pumping it may leave you spinning out.
And spinning out with a 1600 KG Monster isn't fun, believe me.

Return to “Underground”