The Need For Speed: Road & Track

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
Gavh2
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

The Need For Speed: Road & Track

Post by Gavh2 »

Hey guys. Is it possible to install NFS1 on Windows XP? I can't install TNFS, it comes up with errors. I know it's a long shot but I have all of them and I just got my new PC and want to load all of them. I was just wondering if anyone knows a way around it. I think I do recall installing a downloadable demo of the game, where you race that blue Viper, and that worked fine.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: The Need For Speed: Road & Track

Post by GT3x24x7 »

TNFS is a DOS game and doesn't run very well on XP's 'fake DOS' comand interpreter. You need to either run the game on a pure DOS machine (Windows 9x and Me use it), in a virtual machine running a DOS-based OS, or use a DOS emulator like VDMSound or the hugely popular DOSBox.

Personally, I use DOSBox and TNFS runs quite well under it.
Gavh2
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Gavh2 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:TNFS is a DOS game and doesn't run very well on XP's 'fake DOS' comand interpreter. You need to either run the game on a pure DOS machine (Windows 9x and Me use it), in a virtual machine running a DOS-based OS, or use a DOS emulator like VDMSound or the hugely popular DOSBox.

Personally, I use DOSBox and TNFS runs quite well under it.
Awesome! Got DOSbox and it works 100%. It's so rad to play the game again!!! The physics of the cars are amazing for a game so old. I must just figure out a was to load it without having to use the CD. Thanks for the help! 8)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

You're very welcome.. have fun!

BTW, checkout DOSBox's screengrab and moviegrab features - ctrl+f5 and ctrl+alt+f5 respectively I believe.
Gavh2
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Gavh2 »

GT3x24x7 wrote:You're very welcome.. have fun!

BTW, checkout DOSBox's screengrab and moviegrab features - ctrl+f5 and ctrl+alt+f5 respectively I believe.
Shot! Will check it out. Just one more thing. I ran the game again but this time round there is no sound? Weird...
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I guess check the soundcard settings in the game match the ones set in DOSBox. Beyond that, try the VOGONS (Very Old Games On New Systems) forum - heaps of help and info for DOSBox and old games generally there.
nd4spdse
Stock
Stock

Post by nd4spdse »

just be careful, one of the f keys also disables in-game audio if i recall correctly.

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”