NFSHS and NFSPU online racing

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

NFSHS and NFSPU online racing

Post by jeffr »

There's a small group of us that still race NFS4 and NFS5 online. There's a program called IPLounge that includes a chat room and a list of TCP-IP hosted games. We patched NFS4 so that collision (between cars) can be turned off (previously, this was only possible through EA online racing). Then there's an expansion pack to add tracks, cars, and a "mixer" to select a set of tracks automatically when joining a IPLounge race.

Here's the info if you're interested:

Everything is in place for High Stakes (and PU) Online Racing with IP Lounge!! IP Lounge was created by [RS]JMac of Team[RS], with some help from a few other NFS fans. IP Lounge is currently in full public beta testing, but it is working near perfect at this point. It has been countless hours of work to get things to the point where everything works as it should. We now have an integrated stats system that you can see here. Below is everything you need to get to the NEW HS Online racing setup and the choices you have (choose ONE of these 3):

Basic IP Lounge (1.1 MB): This is for folks who like to do everything manually, and also for folks who will be racing PU only. This includes an installer for WinPcap, which you will need to install before IP Lounge will work. Unzip this file's contents to a unique directory and then run the WinPcap install, create you IP Lounge shortcut, and then run IP Lounge and use the Register button to set up your Username/Password. This will be your racing name that appears in stats. After you get your password via email, you can choose the HS Server, fill in your Login name and Password, and Login. Once logged in to IP Lounge, you should set your Options with the Options button. Be sure to set Capture ON before trying to host, as this is how stats are gathered.

IP Lounge with HS Patches (3.3 MB): This is a custom setup that includes all of the nifty HS patches you will want to race the Stock HS game online. This includes the latest IP Lounge, the 4.50 patch for HS, JeffR's No-Collision patch, the No CD Patch (requires copying some files from your CD), the WinXP 1 MB error patch, some Menus customized for racing in TCP mode, and a choice of replacement d3da.dll files to help you get your HS graphics working right.

IP Lounge with the HS Expansion Pack (EP2) (129 MB): This custom setup includes everything above PLUS 20 user-made tracks, all of the official EA download and "other game version" cars, 10 extra user-made cars, and a few "Fun" cars like the F-16 and the Titanic ship, and also includes a custom version of JimDiablo's HS Mixer which works with IP Lounge. All of these tracks and cars are valid for scoring except the Fun cars, and IP Lounge has integrated functions to allow a host to choose a set of tracks for his pit, and all joiners get automatically matched to this list. It is also just as easy for a host to make a pit that is compatable with people who have the Stock HS Game only. To use these tracks and cars online, a host creating a new pit chooses which of 9 optional tracklists to use ("default" list indicating stock game), and then before the game runs IPL runs the Mixer to set the cars and tracks to match this list. Then it does the same thing for anyone who joins that pit. People with Stock Game Only (i.e. without the EP) are automatically restricted from joining pits using Expansion cars and tracks. Be sure to leave the Mixer closed when doing all of this, as IP Lounge will run it automatically only if it is not already open.
NitrousMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NitrousMan »

lol im sure no one on here is thinkin about NFS PU and NFS HP when NFSU2 is almost out.. get it its a million times better than those...
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Interest in NFSU didn't seem to last long for any individual player. I was online from the 1st day of the demo, and about 6 months after the release of the game, I never saw any of those original players again. I probably stayed with the game much longer than most did.

Compare this to NFSHS and NFSPU, where players have stayed with the game for 4 and 5 years. NFS High Stakes is interesting to some because it's the fastest paced game of the series (in terms of driver inputs), and has more features than the other games, saveable replays, saveable ghosts (you can run against a previously saved run), online KO mode series where the "losers" of each race end up driving trucks backwards to crash into the remaining racers (a fun event), night and weather options on all tracks, and collision selectable racing.

The issue with NFSU as I see it is very short tracks, a points system that encouraged running 10 laps at a player's best track, and unfair online play depending on your system. (NFSU on some PC's results in lap times about 1 sec faster than other PC's). Not to mention the high incidence of cheats. Also, at some tracks, like Olympic and Stadium there's just steering and wall banging, always in 5th gear and floored, no braking.

There have been 3 or 4 generations of NFSU players from what I have seen. The burn out factor seems pretty high. How many of the 100 million point players still show up online anymore? I quit after 25 million myself.

I like both the arcade and the simulation type racing games, so I don't spend a lot of time with each one anymore. Grand Prix Legends, F1 Challenge 99-02, Nascar Racing Season 20003, GTR (ordered), Live for speed, Toca Race Driver 2, Mercedes Benz World Racing, Ford Racing 2, Corvette, even Simpson's Hit and Run was fun. I still play NFSHS and NFSPU online occasionally.

If you want to see what these games look like, I've made videos, which you can check out here:

Racing Game Videos
orvnahum_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by orvnahum_ »

I'll sure check this out, I love NFSHS.
NitrousMan
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by NitrousMan »

i do too not also loves NFSHS... although underground and BMW i mean porsche i mean porscheesheches unleashed are much better.......!>...............
Canadianracer21
Stock
Stock

Re: to each there own

Post by Canadianracer21 »

NitrousMan wrote:lol im sure no one on here is thinkin about NFS PU and NFS HP when NFSU2 is almost out.. get it its a million times better than those...
I think the best game is prosche unleashed its more like simulation not arcade type thats what I like in a game sorry but need for speed porsche unleashed is better for me.. now if thay did that same type of game with all the other cars and called it the world on the road then we could drive any car in a realalistic game.. and newer graphics.

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”