The first NFS

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

The first NFS

Post by Nitro »

Does anybody know what was the first NFS called??I think it's called "Road Challenge".I lost the CD of the game about a year ago and unfortunatelly I can't find the case neither.. :( :( I want the name because i'm trying to find it again from some store but no luck.. :( They keep telling me it's too old.I'm talking about the one with the Testarossa Viper,Supra,Acura,911,Corvette etc.Do i have the name right?I'm not sure if it was the very first :oops: but i really liked it...
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Nitro, the original in the nfs series is need for speed:Road Challenge. In terms of where to get it now ya best bet is threw eBay on the below link. It's available pretty cheaply too and comes with the CD, registration card, and original box. The asking price at present is only $4.99 US and $2 shipping outside America. It closes in approx. 15 hours time and no bids have yet been made.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=41050

If ya do a generalised search you will probably find more..
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

need for speed road challenge is in fact exactly the same as need for speed high stakes............there both nfs4, it just depends what country you live in as to what it's called :P

Post by Guest »

The first NFS was simply called 'The Need For Speed'.
viper_gts
Drift King
Drift King

Post by viper_gts »

i think it was The need for speed:road and track, i could be wrong though.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

It was called Need for Speed Road & Track, I have the CD near me :)
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

My mistake guys, the first in the nfs series over here in Australia is actually called The need for Speed or Se, depending on what version you bought. It also has written on the box "Road & Track presents.. which I think means that they made it in association with EA who dropped then in the second version..

Nevertheless, the link to it's location is still the same for Nitro.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

Thanx Rogue about the link and everyone else.I liked the cars in this game and their driving reactions were very good.Now that SuperRacer mentioned it, i also think it was called Road and Track :roll: .The locations were also great...I remember driving along the Coastal in the viper was just great.Does anyone know if you can tune these cars?? :twisted:
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

Yep,that's the game for sure..I haven't been looking through the net for a buy cause i'm not very fond of it. :roll: .Never tried it...I just found and a 3 or 29Mb Demo of the game :) but i don't know if it's working in Xp though because when i had the game i had 98
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

That was a good geme, considering the time it was made at. I t looked verry realistic, and the interiors where well done. The version I had was called The Need For Speed, but as someone said Road and Track had something to do with it, cause this name was in the menu.
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Ok, the game is called "The Need for Speed." On the back of the CD case, it says "Exclusive Road & Track expertise, stats and data." That's why it's there.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

I agree Koffy.That's why i want to have it again.It really was a very good game.I remember the corvette with the electronic dashboard.. :roll: And the sounds were very realistic too..(especially the viper had a very nice roaring sound.Just like the real one..).Well the graphics were not THAT great, but considering the age of this game they are satisfying. :D
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Right, the cars didn't look that good, but considering the quality of the interiors and the sound, you can drive from inside. :D You could say: 'What about the oponents?'. Well... they should be behind you. :twisted:
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Hey Nitro, gotta agree with both you and Koffy that it was a good beginning to the series but not sure if it will run for ya under xp. I tried mine but had no luck so if ya work it out let us know...thanx.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

That's the only bad thing about this game.. :( Graphics..(the highest screen resolution is 640x480).But everything else is just great.It also has a very nice intro movie,not as good as in HP2 but still good. :D
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

True, but despite the downfall it's a good introductionto the nfs series..
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

How can you expect an 8 year old game to have good graphics?
Erix
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Erix »

I agree with Superracer on that. You can't discuss graphics of a pre-3d acceleration game. The game is still great, though some corners are unrealistic. In my opinion the only nfs title that topped this one is nfspu.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

I'm not complaining about the graphics..As I said they are very good according to the game's age.It's one of my most favourite NFS games because of it's very realistic driving.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Talking about 3d acceleration, I had a friend who had a VooDoo 3 card, and the graphic quality of NFS2 was amazing. I think it was even better than NFS3.

The noly problem is that the good look is only aviable if you have a 3dfx card. It should be possible to crack that and run with newer cards, like G-force. Does anyone know if that's possible?
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

The graphics in NFS2 being better than the graphics of NFS3 is impossible. Maybe you saw NFS2SE, which, I believe, has 3d acceleration (NFS2 doesn't).
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

I have both nfs 2 and nfs 2se, they are pretty much graphically the same from the setup that I use..
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Yes, SuperRacer, you are right. It was NFS2se.

About the NFS3 thing, I don't remember very much what it looked like, but I seem to remember that th cars looked pixely, while in NFS2se with 3dfx acceleration, cars looked smooth. When you paused the game, instased of the gray and yelow screen of the non-3dfx version, you had a cammera that rolled arround the car, and it looked very good.
Nitro
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Nitro »

Koffy if you're talking about NFS3 HP I have to disagree with you...If you use 3D acceleration the graphics are very good and the cars are not at all pixely.The graphics are very smooth,but the car reactions are not that good. :( That's the only thing I don't really like in this game...Maybe you did not used 3D acceleration... :?:
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Well I don't remember. I will have to install it agin and see.
But no matter if it looks good or not, NFS4 is allmost the same from the gameplay and it has much better graphics, what would make NFS3 obsolete.

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”