NFS5:PU tips and techniques on driving.

Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2, Need for Speed Porsche, Need for Speed High Stakes and older
KiwisDoFly

NFS5:PU tips and techniques on driving.

Post by KiwisDoFly »

About 6 months ago, when I was a total n00b in PU I looked everywhere for tips and tricks on driving. PU is a realistic game and it does require a bit (well more than that) of skill to succesfully drive your car. And so, today, perhaps out of boredom, having mastered the game, I decided to list all all the techniques I know and perhaps persuade you to post yours. And so we begin.

NOTE: If you want to seriously drive, switch to manual transmission, its hard to master at first, but its all worth it. Besides, only Grannys use auto on their little Hondas....All the techniques listed either require or will perform better with manual. For example, say you are coming to a very sharp turn which you can barely make it without scratching the sides. On automatic: You turn, you loose speed and transmition shifts down like a gear, but when it does that, you usually end up with low revs and you have to spend a couple of seconds getting back to your "cruising" speed. Now with manual: As you come to the turn and actually start turning (and loosing speed) you shift down a gear (but only when your current gear is in the mid revs)so when you finish turning, you end up on high revs (just above overdrive) one gear down. As you find out, a car accelerates faster on high revs than on low. I might be wrong but thats how it seems.

360: Quite easy to do, really. First choose the place where you want to do the trick, mind you, try to choose the spot that is quite far away so that you'll be prepared (that is if you want to do 360 on a normal track). As you come to your chosen spot, keep your foot on the gas pedal and press the handbrake and sharply turn right, now as the car rotates about 170-179 degrees turn your steering wheel the other way. Now at this point, if you want quick recovery, shift down a gear (or more if required, remember to watch your tachometer!) and speed away!

180+reverse+180 back: Same as 360 but you don't turn your steering wheel the opposite way, in fact you even quickly shift to reverse and slam your gas pedal. The car will respond by going backwards. Now at some point, when you get tired of riding backwards, quickly turn your steering wheel whichever direction you prefer and switch to say 1st gear (then second if on very high revs) and thats it, you'll recover.

Recovering from 90 degree slides: Sometimes you can encounter those nasty and uncontrollable slides (especially with Turbos on wrong tires) which first put you 90 degrees to the road and then if you try to counter-steer even 180 degrees. Remember, if you end up perpendicular to the road, DO NOT try to counter-steer (ie, if you slide left, you counter-steer right and vice versa) but rather steer the opposite way, which, weirdly, will bring you back on course. I'm still researching this technique but it does seem to work.

Well that seems to be all that comes into my head for now. I was wondering if anyone knows how to effectively conquer hairpins without loosing too much speed. My current way of doing it is simply stick to the opposite side of the turn and then at the last moment sharply turn. but that usually sees me wither hitting the middle fence-thing or sending me sliding into the nearest barrier.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

You say "only Grannys use auto on their little Hondas"? What about americans on their whale big Ford Taurus?
KiwisDoFLy

Post by KiwisDoFLy »

Well Americans are Americans I suppose, but I need a rather exaturated statement to prove my point.

Oh yeah also,

Recovering from Reverse quickly: For example, you hit something really hard and you need to reverse and continue on your way, the worst thing you can do is actually reverse and as you go, switch to 1st, in which case your car would slowly decelerate until 0 and slowly accelerate as you shift gear. So far I've found that stopping before shifting to first stops you faster, hence you loose less seconds. But currently I'm researching another method: Reverse then switch to neutral, press the gas pedal for high revs and then switch to first gear, you will experience the same effect as at the start of a race.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

This are nice tips. Lots of people will find them helpfull, because the can fit for other games too. :D
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Thanks KiwisDoFLy for sharing them, I sure many will fine them useful as Koffy has said..
KiwisDoFly

Post by KiwisDoFly »

"This are nice tips. Lots of people will find them helpfull, because the can fit for other games too."

Awwww thank you!
It's always good to have a reference and I was surprised that I couldn't find anything like this already posted on this forum. Now, have you guys got any tips?
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

Koffy wrote:I'm shure you have noticed, that in NFS-HP2, when you are parked/not moving, and you try to accelerte really fast, the wheels slip. This is of couse, because the engine has much power, and you are putting the pedal to on metal.

Well, I've found out, that if you want to get out of there fast, you have to shortly press the handbrake. This will stop or deaccelerate the wheels shortly, and make them recover the grip, making the car accelerate faster.

Many of you might have already found out about this, but it is a usefull trick when starting the race, escaping from the cops or after a crash, in order to loose less time.
From an old post of mine. :)
jancleynen
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jancleynen »

Thanx kiwisdofly....................
8)
KiwisDoFly

Post by KiwisDoFly »

Thanks for the tip Koffy! Surely that'll help my newbie skills in HP2 (I just got it), I wonder if it works in NFS4 and 5...
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

I haven't tryed it in other NFS game, but it should work in NFS4 aswell.
KiwisDoFly

Post by KiwisDoFly »

Hey everyone!

I have found the ultimately-realistic controls scheme for those (like me) without a steering wheel or pedals. Two versions:

Totally Realistic (sort of):

Left: Left arrow key
Right: Right arrow key
Accelerate: Z
Brake: X
Shift Gear Up: N (or V)
Shift Gear Down: M (or B)

I have just tested it and using Z and X for pedals really gives you that weird kind of a "pedal" feel. N and M as shifting gear is realistic because in a real car, you actually have to ease your gas pedal while pressing the middle pedal (cant remember what its called) and then shift gear. That way when you want to shift gear, you actually have to take your finger off Z or X and press N or M, although you can stretch your hand to accomodate both buttons but doing so the whole race is kind of tiring (atleast for me).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Lite:

Left: Left arrow key
Right: Right arrow key
Accelerate: Z
Brake: X
Shift Gear Up: C
Shift Gear Down: V
Switch Camera: B

In this case its easier to switch gear as you are less likely to get confused.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Also some misc additions:

Look Left: A
Look Right: D
Look Back: S
Look Forward: W

This makes it easier to look around your car to the point where after a while you start pressing these buttons automatically, without thinking (in real life you dont really think about twisting your neck to look around, you just do it, same here)

Hope this helps.
Koffy
Professional
Professional

Post by Koffy »

"(cant remember what its called)"

'Clutch'. I think, maybe it is spelled wrong.
KiwisDoFly

Post by KiwisDoFly »

In my language (English is my second) I believe it's called "Muffti" or "Mufftu" or something like that. I be Russian by the way
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

hmmmm, ok I took you for being a New Zealander as your posting name includes the work kiwi, which is what we call ppl from New Zealand over here. Sorry, my mistake :oops:

Hey Koffy, "clutch" is spelt right..

Return to “Older Need for Speed Games”