Putting ProStreet Cars in Undercover. Possible?

Discuss editing Need for Speed Undercover.
Be a part of the modding scene as it happens!
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Putting ProStreet Cars in Undercover. Possible?

Post by PanZero »

Hello editing masters! :D

On some games, after beating it for the first time, I do "thematic playthroughs". It began with Pokémon Yellow, with the "Ash Ketchum Playthrough", in which I could only use the Pokémon Ash used in the anime. I don't do them to make the game harder, I do them just for fun.

Nowadays, I've been doing "Japanese cars only", "Not using money" (that one I did for NFSMW, beat the game with Ming's Gallardo), "Stock Corvette only" (use starter car until you have money for a 'Vette, get it and beat the game. Did this one in Carbon. I even beat Darius on my first try!) and so on.

Now, to business. I haven't gotten Undercover yet, but since they announced the name/story I wanted to do a "Brian O'Conner Playthrough" (2nd gen Eclipse, 3000GT, Supra, Skyline, and Evo VII (which can be substituted for the IX) only). The problem is, the game doesn't have the '99 Eclipse, so this way I wouldn't have a car for the beginning of the game (and I am a big fan of the '99 Eclipse, I have a '95 one with everything from the post-facelift version (bumpers, spoiler, etc.) IRL).

So I had an idea: would it be possible to substitute a car's model for the Eclipse's ProStreet model? I can live without the 3000GT's, especially since the last game it appeared was Underground 2 and it probably was really low-poly... and I have so many more options (Supra, Skyline, Evo).

I have very little experience in editing, everything I've ever done was making a few Bonus Cars in Carbon be buyable in the car lot.

Thanks in advance!
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Putting ProStreet Cars in Undercover. Possible?

Post by RedCarDriver »

The short answer is that you can't. Sorry.

The long answer is that it would take several months of work in cracking Undercover's Geometry.BIN format (importing and exporting its files to a usable format), its GlobalMemoryFile.BIN, and several other files. It is certainly possible (as proved by Arushan's MW conversion tools) but not entirely practical, especially since I doubt Arushan is willing to help with this - he seems to have declined to offer any form of help or support for any game after Most Wanted.
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by PanZero »

RedCarDriver wrote:The short answer is that you can't. Sorry.

The long answer is that it would take several months of work in cracking Undercover's Geometry.BIN format (importing and exporting its files to a usable format), its GlobalMemoryFile.BIN, and several other files. It is certainly possible (as proved by Arushan's MW conversion tools) but not entirely practical, especially since I doubt Arushan is willing to help with this - he seems to have declined to offer any form of help or support for any game after Most Wanted.
Wow... too bad. I heard they did something like that on a few games (like Nintendo reusing the same model for Link from Twilight Princess in Smash Bros. Brawl), so I didn't expect it to be that hard, especially considering that it seemed (to me at least) that some of the car models were the same. Well, if it were that easy, they would've done it already.

Thanks, man!
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Yeah, sure, the developers of the game can do it easily, and seems like it's not terribly hard to export from a game for users, but putting in a mesh is rather difficult and often less-than-perfect if we don't have the developers' method of importing the meshes.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

It may not be very difficult. It's been discovered that Undercover's meshes use a simpler compression scheme than previous games have used.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

prince1142003 wrote:It may not be very difficult. It's been discovered that Undercover's meshes use a simpler compression scheme than previous games have used.
Yeah, well, that's a given since EA is too lazy to change it :roll: but MW's took months to crack entirely and the minor differences will probably screw it up to the point of having to start from the beginning. Again, exporting is basically easy, but importing gets difficult.
PanZero
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by PanZero »

Wow, I can't understand half of what you guys are talking about, the whole meshes and stuff.

This must be a lot harder than I thought.
jonyroger
Ricer
Ricer

Post by jonyroger »

Yes, that's a given since EA is too lazy to change it: roll: MW but took months to break completely, and the minor differences probably screw it to the point of having to start over. Once again, exports are much easier, but the import is difficult.

Return to “Editing”