I cant get my ProStreet working

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed ProStreet.
Be sure to search first!
Rizur
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

I cant get my ProStreet working

Post by Rizur »

I downloaded the patch for ProStreet and I noticed that the new cars doesnt work. I wasnt able to see them and all the horsepowers and torques and other statics were 0.
I had copied the game folder before that and I decided to try other patch (this one) So after I uninstalled the game I replaced the ProStreet folder with the copied backup folder (unpatched version)
The game said that my savegames are wrong type (or something like that) so I assume that all my savegames had turn into v1.1(?) So I downloaded the other patch I mentioned before but that didnt affect anyhow.
So I deleted the other 'backup' folder too and tried to install the game again. But while installing it said: "The cabinet file 'Group117.cab' required for this installation is corrupt and cannot be used. This could indicate a network error, an error reading from the CD-ROM, or a problem with this package."
So how can I get it working again without loosing my savegames?

I have two Career Saves http://www.nfsunlimited.net/files/view/127 that include extra cars if that has any influence... (those extra cars also didnt work properly, like Veyron had under 200bhp if I remember correctly)

And im not too good with these things so I hope someone could explain these things the way I understand it, lol.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Re: I cant get my ProStreet working

Post by prince1142003 »

The car codes changed in the patch. So if you had the cars working before the patch, they won't work after patching without some further editing. That's basically what happened in your case.

I don't know what you did with the whole backing up and copying over, etc. Best option is to try a reinstall.

But as that doesn't seem to be working in your case then hmmm... The error you encountered usually happens when the CD is scratched or there's something wrong with your drive. It can even occur randomly. Keep trying, and switch to a different drive if you keep getting the same error with the same file. If all else fails, you can try getting the game in a different way.

So if you still have the backups of your savegames, here's what you need to do if you ever get ProStreet reinstalled. BEFORE patching to v1.1, sell all the special cars (Bugatti, etc.). Then install the official v1.1 patch and make sure you install the correct patch for your game. THEN apply the patch to make all cars available.

It would seem you're having problems because the two savegames you indicated were made for v1.0 of ProStreet. Since the car codes changed in v1.1, those savegames won't work properly. But the method I indicated above should let you salvage them.
Rizur
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Rizur »

Heeh... the most funniest thing ever happened.

I remembered that my ProStreet didnt work after I installed Undercover so I wondered if it helps if I uninstall my Undercover and then try to instal ProStreet. Well it didnt help.
So I tried to install Undercover again and after over an hour of installing it says the same fking thing about the cabinet but the file is 'Group114.cab'
So I cant play either of the games now, isnt that funneeh? Does anyone know how could I send nice little letter for EA?

So the problem cant be in the CD and I doubt it is in the drive because other games work well.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Try defragmenting your hard drive, running Scandisk, and Disk Cleanup before installing. Sounds like the installer EA uses is having issues. You could also try copying the files from the disk to a folder on the Desktop and installing from there.
Rizur
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Rizur »

I downloaded the game and all I got was a virus :? (luckily I got rid off it) This is why I dont download games often...

So what does the defragment of hard drive do? And how to do it exactly? And how about that Scandisk or Disk Cleanup? Like I said im not good with these things...

And one thing I tried to do was that I copied the files from the disk. I got many 'Group' folders in .rar format and also other files including nfs.exe. I tried to launch the game from it but it crashed right after it started. So I mean do I have to run the installation or could I get the game working with those files?

Other thing I wondered is that could the savegames affect the error in the installation?

And if it helps at all the files in Group117.cab are some SOUNDSPEECH files...
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Defragmentation
Scandisk
Disk Cleanup
Amazing what Wikipedia can do for you.

If you copy the files from the CD to your computer, it won't work. What you have to do is copy the files, and then run the setup program (usually setup.exe). If you can get your game installed, DO NOT install any patches etc. before coming back and posting here. I'll walk you through exactly what you need to do to get the bonus cars and the savegame working.

And no, savegame files can't interfere with installation.

Return to “Help & Support”