NFS Carbon on vista

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Carbon.
Be sure to search first!
hugh750
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

NFS Carbon on vista

Post by hugh750 »

I just upgraded my hp computer (it's a few monthe old) to windows vista home premium and i want to know if carbon with it's 1.3 patch will work on vista.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

It may or may not. Vista is not officially supported, so it's pretty much up to luck.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: NFS Carbon on vista

Post by Andre_online »

Hi..

I didn't mean to bring this topic up, but I didn't wanna create a new topic about this, so I'd rather just post it here.

Anyways, yea. I installed NFS Carbon on Vista. Apparently I did a small research after installation and did what I was required to do. But one thing that's driving me crazy is how SLOW the game is running. I mean, it literally moves frame by frame. It IS that slow, and it's driving me crazy. I've well enough met the minimum requirements needed, but I still don't know why it's running so slowly, and I highly doubt that this game is too high-end for my laptop to handle.

Here're my PC specs:

- Windows Vista Home Premium
- Intel® Core™2 Duo T7300 1.80GHz
- 2048MB RAM
- Mobile Intel(R) Expresss Chipset Family, 128MB

Is it the graphic card which is not supported? Or is my computer just too slow? I've seen people running NFS Carbon on laptops similar to mine, or with slightly higher specs, and it ran smoothly.

Any help would be appreciated. :)
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Propably the chipset. Carbon requires hardware shader support which the Intel Express almost certainly doesn't have (depends on the chipset, can you be more specific?).
Tyrant
Professional
Professional

Post by Tyrant »

Í've got Vista, but I reinstalled XP. Vista is a true nightmare!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

vellu wrote:Propably the chipset. Carbon requires hardware shader support which the Intel Express almost certainly doesn't have (depends on the chipset, can you be more specific?).
Hmm, how much more specific? 'Cuz that's the only information I was given about the chipset. :P
Tyrant wrote:Í've got Vista, but I reinstalled XP. Vista is a true nightmare!
Nah, the OS isn't really much of a problem now. It's more of like hardware problem. :P
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Andre_online wrote: Hmm, how much more specific? 'Cuz that's the only information I was given about the chipset. :P
The numbers of the Intel Chipset? Surely you have the exact specs for your machine?

Any of these?

http://www.intel.com/products/laptop/ch ... body+chips
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Hmm, none from there. Mine is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Andre_online wrote:Hmm, none from there. Mine is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
Okay, then you propably have the GM965 chipset (the PM965 doesn't have it's own graphics adapter, the system would have some separate chipset instead) which would mean you have the Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 for graphics which should support the required Shader Model 2.0

Perhaps update the drivers for it?

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/filter_ ... bmit=Go%21

Dang, that's a long url!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

vellu wrote:
Andre_online wrote:Hmm, none from there. Mine is Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset Family.
Okay, then you propably have the GM965 chipset (the PM965 doesn't have it's own graphics adapter, the system would have some separate chipset instead) which would mean you have the Mobile Intel® Graphics Media Accelerator X3100 for graphics which should support the required Shader Model 2.0
Thanks for the help once again.

But I just want to be sure before doing anything on my laptop. So how do I check if my chipset is the GM965 instead of the PM965? Is there a way I can do that? :)
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Andre_online wrote:So how do I check if my chipset is the GM965 instead of the PM965? Is there a way I can do that? :)
This should help: Intel Chipset Identification Utility

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_ ... 1&lang=eng

Though, as I stated earlier the PM chipset doesn't have a built in graphics adapter AT ALL. You would have something else instead, for example Mobility Radeon or GeForce Go. I'm sure you would know if you had any of those...
YaelDjiel
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by YaelDjiel »

maybe try the 1.4 patch? i think it was for vista :)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I did try patching it, but it just wouldn't wanna patch. I don't understand why either. Anyways, now OS isn't really the problem, else I won't be able to run Carbon on it. Initially the game would crash after the EA screen. But I did a small research on this forum, and I renamed the 'Movies' folder, and it helped. :)

I'm gonna update the drivers now and see if it actually is because of the driver which causes the game to be slow. :)

=================================================
EDIT 2

OK, I just updated the drivers. Unfortunately, nothing helped. Still pretty slow.. I assume it's the graphics card problem now? :(
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Andre_online wrote:OK, I just updated the drivers. Unfortunately, nothing helped. Still pretty slow.. I assume it's the graphics card problem now? :(
Most likely that then. Just isn't fast enough...intergrated graphic chips have never been high performance, both desktop or notebook ones.

Return to “Help & Support”