[YACHT] Yet Another Carbon Hex-editing Tutorial

Discuss editing Need for Speed Carbon.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

yep, and then post the savegame to download the special vynils??
spectre01
Drift King
Drift King

Post by spectre01 »

do you guys have eyes!!!! just follow the tutorial!!!!!
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I made a savegame pack with this new info. Check it out here.
Turbocharger
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Turbocharger »

spectre, i said i cant hex yet, it doesnt work for me, why the hell do you think i asked for pictures dumbbumbum! Geez are you blind!
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

prince1142003 wrote:I'm working on a savegame with all available cars in the car lot, so just hang tight.
http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/viewtopic ... 977#266977 :P
Maybe I should have posted it in the savegame thread, my bad I didn't see that.
prince1142003 wrote:You're right, this will need constant updating. What about a wiki instead? This can be the "discussion and ask your questions" page, with any and all information in a wiki. Editing permissions can be changed to allow only registered members to edit the wiki (if it's put on NFSUnlimited's wiki) so that spambots and other such things don't mess them up.
Right, that might be the best solution to have multiple members update the contents :)
prince1142003 wrote:Also, the assumption that customization slots are sequential appears to be wrong. I deleted an Aston Martin from My Cars and rebought it. It now has a customization slot number of 26, but the slot location is still the same as it was originally (21). The customization slot, however, has a slot number of 26 even though it is in the location for 21.
Umm :( that's bad if you want to calculate the location of the slot.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

cparty wrote:
prince1142003 wrote:Also, the assumption that customization slots are sequential appears to be wrong. I deleted an Aston Martin from My Cars and rebought it. It now has a customization slot number of 26, but the slot location is still the same as it was originally (21). The customization slot, however, has a slot number of 26 even though it is in the location for 21.
Umm :( that's bad if you want to calculate the location of the slot.
I know. I think it's sequential in the order it's in the savegame and not the number. eg: if 26 follows 21, and all slots are sequential before that, then 26 is actually 22. I still need to do some more testing with this, but I have a hunch that deleting cars messes with the customization slot locations.

EDIT:
Wiki. Page protections require that a user is signed in before he or she can edit the page.
itay1r
Ricer
Ricer

Post by itay1r »

can some1 make a savegame with all the new vinyls cars like kenji's evo etc like cparty made + this supra? http://forum.nfsunlimited.net/download.php?id=14448
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

This is not a request thread. Requests should not be honored. PM the person who has create a Supra savegame.
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

prince1142003 wrote:Wiki. Page protections require that a user is signed in before he or she can edit the page.
Wow, looks nice :) many thanks for setting it up prince1142003. I'll be away the next couple of days. I hope to get some more info into the wiki when I'm back.

Merry christmas and a happy new year everybody!
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Ok, the wiki is done as far as I can get it done ATM. Here's a few things still left to add, and anyone's welcome to make the changes. All I ask is that you remain consistent with formatting throughout. I think I'll be taking a break for a while.

1. Since this is probably the only wiki of its kind, it should probably have a bit more detailed info on the basics of hex editing
2. Pics of all the vinyls applied to a preselected default car.
3. Each car name links to a car pic
4. Multiple interlinked pages (for consideration) as the wiki will get pretty lengthy
5. Possible hexcode list of performance parts

P.S. - Like the logo? Took about 20 minutes to do, damn hexagons were a pain to get right. :lol:
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I'm making a new post since this is completely unrelated to the last one and they're so far spaced out in time.

Found something interesting. Apparently, Manufacturer and Aftermarket vinyls can be colored. Want proof? Check out the picture.

All you have to do is edit the value for Vinyl Color 1 in the vinyl slot. Now all we need is an explanation on how the hex-based color system works in Carbon.
Attachments
Image1.jpg
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I expect those colour codes will be simple hex-coded RGB values. The first two bytes for the red value, second two for blue, last two for green. This is a standard convention and it would seem crazy to reinvent the wheel for a game.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Well, I think EA might have.... As far as I can tell the color is controlled by two bytes when it comes to vinyls and four bytes when it comes to body and wheel paints. I'm assuming the four bytes because those have categories.

Anyways, the hex for bright vibrant red (255,0,0) is either A71C (if we were to assume two bytes for vinyl color code) or A71C0000 (if we were to assume four bytes for vinyl color code). How does that add up?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Well, decimal 255 is of course &FFh, so no, it doesn't add up. Given the huge colour selection in Carbon I really don't see how they could fit everything into four bytes, let alone two. Perhaps some trial and error with some obvious values such as &00h, &FFh and &7Fh (=127 dec, or 50% of full scale).
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

Something else I found to be somewhat interesting.

Using hex-edit, you can easily remove a car from anywhere. You just have to change it's carslot number to FFFFF. Interestingly enough, you can do this to all your career cars and still not have the game crash. It seems the game only crashes if you have no career slots. So as long as a career slot exists, you can browse around in Free Roam and do races without a car. I'll try to post a pic when I get time.
SRDragoon20
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by SRDragoon20 »

i tell you what vinyl im looking for is the one on the skyline screenshot i don't know if it hand made or actually in the game itself if anyone knows the code if it is in the game tell me please :)
BEEFKING69
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by BEEFKING69 »

is it possible to change the tier of a car? like to change a tier 3 tuner to a tier 2
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

prince1142003 wrote:All you have to do is edit the value for Vinyl Color 1 in the vinyl slot. Now all we need is an explanation on how the hex-based color system works in Carbon.
The first 2 Bytes seem to be the hue value ranging from 4D1C - A71C.
The second 2 Bytes are the coordinates in the color grid (1 Byte X-coord from 00 - 0E, 1 Byte Y-coord from 00 - 09, origin in top left corner).
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

How do you figure all this out, cparty?
Ceano
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Ceano »

prince1142003 wrote:How do you figure all this out, cparty?
cparty is just a pure genius, that's how he figure those things out ;)
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

prince1142003 wrote:How do you figure all this out, cparty?
Hmm, well I look at the data in a Hex-Editor (or Memory-Editor) and try to see any patterns and structures. If I narrowed down an area to be responsible for certain things I try to change one single detail ingame and look for the changes in the data (preferably in a Memory-Editor as the change is instantely visible). Often you will have to just guess what something could be and then verify it.
"Blazing~Honda&quo
Stock
Stock

Post by "Blazing~Honda&quo »

AH~Yeah Bro Cparty!!!!
Draljo-The-Man
Stock
Stock

Post by Draljo-The-Man »

i've read nfsmw hex editing totorial(referenced by: http://wiki.nfsunlimited.net/wiki/Need_ ... ting_Guide) and tried to add a skyline to shop(i havent unlocked it yet) but it didn't worked. i've alo tried to replace brera for audi r8 in career garage. didn't worked.

could anybody explain me exactly how to add a car to shop or career garage?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

The only way to unlock a locked car is by using the Save Editor found on the utils page on the main site. If a locked car is put into the safehouse, it won't appear until it's been unlocked.

Replacing cars won't work as the parts referenced by the old car get applied to the new car, which results in very wierd results.

The proper way to add a car to the Career garage is to use gnagna2000's unlocker which temporarily unlocks all cars. Then you need to go out and buy the car. You will need to use the unlocker everytime you enter your safehouse otherwise the car will disappear until unlocked. There is a way using hex editing, but it is more troublesome than is worth.
2shorty17
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 2shorty17 »

hey.. im new to this hex editing stuff.. i think it awesome

i have ps3 and i was wondering if there was a way to put all the cars - bonus and the like into the my cars section - this way i can use whatever car i want and tune and style it the way i want..

im not exactly sure how this whole hex editing thing works so any help would be appreciated..

im looking for a way to make all the unlocked cars that i worked hard to get into he my cars section so i can do whatever i want to them..

thanx in advance.. i appreciate it

Return to “Editing”