Undercover/ProStreet/Carbon Texture Editing Tutorial

Discuss editing Need for Speed Carbon.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Undercover/ProStreet/Carbon Texture Editing Tutorial

Post by powerof1000 »

Ok, for this you will need TextMod , Undercover/ProStreet/Carbon and Photoshop [optional].

[For this tutorial I will use ProStreet as the example game]

1. Open up TextMod and find the ProStreet .exe where it says target application.
2. Go into the logging mode tab, there you can change the export folder, export format and logging button. I suggest that you change the logging button to F12 or something else unused.
3. Hit the "Run" button at the bottom.
4. When you're in the game, you should see some text in the top left of the screen.
5. Use the + and - keys to scroll through the textures, find the one you want to edit and then press whichever key you've set to save the texture.
6. Now you can minimize ProStreet, go to your output folder, and edit the textures/vinyls in any way you want. The important thing to remember is DO NOT change the file names or delete the file in there called 'TextMod.log'.
7. Now go back into TextMod and click on the 'Package Build' tab, all you need to do is type in the creator and a few comment so that you can remember what's been modded in the package.
8. Then click the Build button, it should ask you to save it as a .tpf file. Save it to whichever name you want and put it in a place you can remember.
9. Now go back to the Package Mode tab, click on the open package icon and select the .tpf file you created.
10. Click Run and the game should start.

Now any changes you made to the textures will be seen \o/

[NOTE: If you want your custom vinyls to be shown while racing, you have to first start a race in the car you want, with the vinyl you want to replace, on the car. Export that vinyl and modify it before importing it back into the game. Thanks to Bytesss for that.]
Last edited by powerof1000 on 26 Nov 2008, 05:07, edited 1 time in total.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
Racing M3 GTR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: ProStreet/Carbon Texture and Vinyl Editing Tutorial

Post by Racing M3 GTR »

powerof1000 wrote:Ok, for this you will need TextMod , ProStreet/Carbon and Photoshop [optional].

[For this tutorial I will use ProStreet as the example game]

1. Open up TextMod and find the ProStreet .exe where it says target application.
2. Go into the logging mode tab, there you can change the export folder, export format and logging button. I suggest that you change the logging button to F12 or something else unused.
3. Hit the "Run" button at the bottom.
4. When you're in the game, you should see some text in the top left of the screen.
5. Use the + and - keys to scroll through the textures, find the one you want to edit and then press whichever key you've set to save the texture.
6. Now you can minimize ProStreet, go to your output folder, and edit the textures/vinyls in any way you want. The important thing to remember is DO NOT change the file names or delete the file in there called 'TextMod.log'.
7. Now go back into TextMod and click on the 'Package Build' tab, all you need to do is type in the creator and a few comment so that you can remember what's been modded in the package.
8. Then click the Build button, it should ask you to save it as a .tpf file. Save it to whichever name you want and put it in a place you can remember.
9. Now go back to the Package Mode tab, click on the open package icon and select the .tpf file you created.
10. Click Run and the game should start.

Now any changes you made to the textures will be seen \o/

[NOTE: If you want your custom vinyls to be shown while racing, you have to first start a race in the car you want, with the vinyl you want to replace, on the car. Export that vinyl and modify it before importing it back into the game. Thanks to Bytesss for that.]
Is this for player vinyls as well? All I've managed to figure out is the AI, they seem to have fixed checksums, which makes it easy to 'convert' all the Quick Race AI into one of the five elite teams...

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mind you, I'm doing all this texture editing with MSPaint.... pain in the bumbum having to do all this when EA should've done it for us in the first place.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Yeah this works with player vinyls too, you just need to replace the textures while racing as well.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
Racing M3 GTR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racing M3 GTR »

powerof1000 wrote:Yeah this works with player vinyls too, you just need to replace the textures while racing as well.
Wow, thanks. So that's what I was doing wrong.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Package? Does that include all the vinyls? And has anyone edited them? Are there different templates, how do they flow around the car, how do you make transparency or how can you allow colour changes? Is it possible to make different layers and put them in?
Racing M3 GTR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racing M3 GTR »

baumaxx1 wrote:Package? Does that include all the vinyls? And has anyone edited them? Are there different templates, how do they flow around the car, how do you make transparency or how can you allow colour changes? Is it possible to make different layers and put them in?
You can compile sets of 20 layer textures and stick them on a car. Some of my AI textures have more layers than any of my player cars.

First (for me anyway, since I have MSPaint), build your car in NFS PS, then follow the tutorial steps and stick your texture on top of an AI texture and save. Then, depending on how many layers you want to put on the car, go back and put the desired part of the other texture on the car. Not very clear, but you'll get the hang of it.

It appears that unless you stick a Shape 23 on before anything else, the car will come up with a black background and will go on to the target car that way. The following texture's base colour is only green because I used a Shape 23:

And please do not be offended by the very offensive statement on the rear windshield. That's for the AI noobs.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Ok... Are there any outlines so actual totally custom vinyls can be made?
Racing M3 GTR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racing M3 GTR »

As of yet, nope.

BTW what the hell has happened to the site forum? Looks damn odd on my end.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Racing M3 GTR wrote:As of yet, nope.

BTW what the hell has happened to the site forum? Looks damn odd on my end.
Same here, formatting orsmth.

@baumaxx1 - The great thing about textmod is that you can edit lots of textures and then package them into a .tpf file. This means that we can share our packages around.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Ok... so basically try and figure out where the wrap points are on the car... add stuff in photoshop, and export in .tpf?
Emsterfan
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Emsterfan »

hmm dunno, i think, it would be easier, if somoene's upgrading mwtex or wintex (dunno), so we can open and edit the textures and vinyls-file
but meh, thats just my cup of tea
really cool project you've got tho
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

baumaxx1 wrote:Ok... so basically try and figure out where the wrap points are on the car... add stuff in photoshop, and export in .tpf?
It'd probably be easier to use an AI vinyl as a base template for the car you want to edit. You'd have to keep the windows the same but you could probably change anything else (basically try it and see what happens - I haven't really done much of it). And about editing the actual textures in Photoshop, when you've finished editing them, you only need to click 'save' not 'save as' (keep the format the same, makes it easier), and don't change the texture filename. You have to save the textures in the same folder as you extracted them to, then go to the package build tab in textmod, enter in the creator and comments, and click build. Then it should create a .tpf file, which you can name and save wherever you want. For example, I have attatched a .tpf file which I made that changes one of the E46 M3's vinyls (don't remember which one D:) to the M3 GTR from most wanted.
Attachments
test.zip
NFSMW M3 GTR Vinyl
(685.47 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

hey, this is just something quick I whipped up, res is only 600x600 unfotunately... forgot to get the high res one, bt it's just a test. I made the whole car CF... it's in a .psd, so what could you do with it... and how do you prep it for use in nfs. This was from ryo's evo, but any evo X will do, could someone get it working and get some shots please, hood and one whole car, wanna see how the CF pattern turns out (if black is see through... then make it have a black base, not sure how transparent vinyls work). And also, steps. Thanks!

PSD (whoops, forgot to flip it, needs to be rotated 180 deg):
http://rapidshare.com/files/125795510/r ... t.psd.html
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

I think that the vinyls have to be in .dds for transparency and stuff but I'm not too sure. I'll try your vinyl now.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

sweet, thanks, yeah, I saved it as a .psd so you can do anything with it.

If we figure it out, I can basically complete my projects, or do what would never be possible.

Also, if this does work... I can supply templates.
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

Here's how it turned out like:
http://img142.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... 106rn7.png
The vinyl covers the windows but I was kind of expecting that, I need to look into putting .dds files in there to find out how to fix that, but for some reason the .dds plugins i use open the files weirdly so I can't edit them.
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

ok... I figured that the vinyls have a black bg. I exported the pic and all, but I'll give it another go... I have to change the colours of the no-go zones... and then I'll just swap it in PS. Then there's the layout to make. :D

Also, replacing your car's vinyls... don't they swap? Or will it stay if you make the package?
Attachments
Here's my M3 BTW I managed to capture that too.
Here's my M3 BTW I managed to capture that too.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

powerof1000 wrote:...for some reason the .dds plugins i use open the files weirdly so I can't edit them.
I'd recommend not to use plugins for Photoshop. Use DXTBMP or iRipper to convert them to TGA, and either convert them back the same way or with the standalone NVidia Texture Tools.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Well... here's the first guide for custom vinyl layouts. Could be a bit shabby, but I don't think application should really be affected by slight inaccuracies when putting it into photoshop and shade-coding.

Guide:
:arrow: Resolution: 1024x1024 (.jpg - only used in photoshop as guide)
:arrow: Body is stock autosculpt.
:arrow: Shades:
White: Workable areas, minimal disturbance.
Light Grey: Body Features, workable areas with minimal disturbance.
Evo specific- Follows lines of side vent, Follows lines on side of hood, past side windows (light decal placement), boot/trunk, back, above taillights.
Dark Grey: Flats where vinyls will be disturbed, only really of use for faux CF/ body highlighting.
Black: Where vinyls will not appear.
:arrow: Leave windows black! do not cover in base paint! You may let vinyls and decals sit over them, but be sensible with the windows.
:arrow: Red lines define workable areas, some places outside the lines are just blanks.
:arrow: Be careful with the windows... leave as much invisible stuff black as possible... red lines not entirely accurate.
Attachments
Guide for creating custom vinyls for EvoX
Guide for creating custom vinyls for EvoX
Racing M3 GTR
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racing M3 GTR »

I think the path may change, but I might try it out, see if it does. I did replace player vinyls a couple of times and Ryo's vinyl seems to have a fixed checksum (which makes the AI vinyls stay the same). The AI vinyls are still the same, fixed checksums, so you don't have to constantly replace them.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Yes, I did encounter this problem... the first time I booted it displayed a previously exported vinyl, but I replaced them all. Unfortunately, unless we mod save files somehow, this may be reserved for AI cars only as replacing the player textures does so to every player car.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

Sorry, but I have to bump this or no one will check. Just a question, the custom vinyls appear verry blurry from certain angles... any ideas?
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

baumaxx1 wrote:Sorry, but I have to bump this or no one will check. Just a question, the custom vinyls appear verry blurry from certain angles... any ideas?
Hmm, maybe there's a "low-res" one or something that you're not replacing... I don't think there is, but there might be.
baumaxx1
Professional
Professional

Post by baumaxx1 »

hmm... not sure, because most angles it's perfect... but it turns to fuz at some angles... not sure what over texture I have to replace. I just replace the ones I export.
race_invader
Professional
Professional

Post by race_invader »

You might already know but DDS is the way to export then use 'DXTBmp' which opens it and saves it without dealing with DDS settings etc. I've found it is possible to edit the whole main menu so i was planning on it, In the mean time here is what ive been doing. Only bad thing about changing the numberplate is AI gets it.. :?

==============================

Many many people will hate me or say "ewww rice!" but i just had to do it cause many young people who like FNF will just soil themselves to this. :lol: I love the neon effect i did.. Also vinyl not fully on but its something.. :P

Return to “Editing”