NFSMW Frequently Asked Questions

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Wanted.
Be sure to search first!
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFSMW Frequently Asked Questions

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Need For Speed Most Wanted - Frequently Asked Questions

To prevent forum floodings with questions about NFS Most Wanted, we've created this new FAQ for the game. Please take your time reading this FAQ. If you can't find your solution in this thread, first try scanning or searching the forum for the answer, and if that fails, make a new topic about it.

This thread will remain locked and added to by NFSUnlimited Staff as required. Please contact a staff member with any corrections or additions you feel are necessary.

Q: What is NFSMW Black Edition, and how does it differ from the Normal Edition?

A: The Black Edition was released to commemorate 10 years of Need For Speed. This special collectors' edition of NFS Most Wanted contains additional features and game modes. You get to race behind the wheel of a ’67 Camaro and a specially-tuned BMW M3 GTR street machine right out of the box in Quick Race and Online modes. What's more, there are eight specially-tuned rides with hand-selected body kits, spoilers, rims, roof scoops, and more are unlocked and available for you to redline in Quick Race and Online modes. These include the Toyota Supra, Lotus Elise, Porsche 911 GT2, Mercedes-Benz SL6500 AMG, Corvette C6, Mercedes-Benz SL 500, Porsche 911 Carrera S and Corvette C6R.

Not only that, the Black Edition features an exclusive Pursuit Challenge. If you think you're up for it, test your cop evasion skills in this intense Pursuit Challenge that features waves of supercharged SUV cops and the most aggressive police tactics. The Black Editon also includes Exclusive and Unlocked Vinyls as well as specifically-created Black Edition only vinyl designs.

The Black Edition also comes with a bonus DVD, which showcases exclusive Need for Speed Most Wanted movies, including a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of the stunning in-game cinematics with actress Josie Maran who plays the central Mia Townsend character in the game.

Q: Help!! Can you give me the CD key for NFS Most Wanted?

A: ABSOLUTELY NOT! The key can be found at the back of the manual. You need to buy the game.

Q: Where are the Nissans, Hondas, Ferraris etc??

A: These companies were either never approached by EA or declined to grant a license to EA for the use of their brand. Reasons for this can include the nature of the game itself; companies not wanting their product to be associated with (simulations of) illegal activities such as speeding and unlawful damage. Alternately, they may have felt that the game itself couldn't do justice to their brand in terms of quality, presentation, etc.

Q: How do I get to race a Blacklist member?

A: To challenge a Blacklist racer you must fulfill a minimum number of racing goals and milestones before they will consider you worthy of the challenge. This includes accumlating bounty, achieving pursuit milestones and winning race events against other racers. Once you meet the minimum requirements, the challenge becomes available. You can check what these requirements are from the Blacklist option in the My Home menu.

Q: What is Bounty?

A: Simply put, bounty is an indication of how badly the cops want to bust you. The higher your bounty level, the harder they will try to catch you. Bounty increases when you immobilise police vehicles, with pursuit length (the longer the pursuit, the higher the bounty increases), and with the amount of general havoc you cause along the way. Also, as your bounty increases, the heat level might increase, bringing tougher, faster, smarter cops down on you with a wider range powers and jurisdiction. The higher the heat level, the faster your bounty increases.

Q: How does Nitrous recharge?

A: Nitrous automatically starts filling up once you reach 80kph (50mph). The faster you go, the faster it fills up. Stunts like powerslides and jumps also work to increase your nitrous level.

Q: What is the Speedbreaker?

A: The Speedbreaker is a useful function when you wanna escape a tight situation at high speed. Speedbreaker slows down the world temporarily, giving you more time to react to what's going on around you. Once activated, you have a limited time to pull off your moves before normal time resumes. Once you safely through, you can hit the speedbreaker again to cancel the slowdown, or just wait for the timer to run out.

The Speedbreaker has a limit, so use it wisely. The Speedbreaker fills up the same way as the Nitrous system. As well as slowing down time, the Speedbreaker also temporarily increases your car's mass, traction and steering senstivity, allowing you a better chance of escaping the bust.

*TIP: In Drag races, use the Speedbreaker to go to the sidewalks and going under trucks. It's also very effective in avoiding those pesky spike strips.

Q: What is this orange-circular thingy surrounding my map?

A: That's your heat meter. The higher the heat meter escalates, the tougher the pursuit gets. As you move along, you'll notice that more and stronger Police Tactics are being used: Road Blocks, Choppers and Spike Strips will be enforced to stop you from evading them. If your heat level gets to heat 5 or above, there might be a chance that you might be chased by Sergeant Cross, that lovely guy who keys your BMW at the start of the game.

Q: Are the Chevrolet Camaro and the Black Editon M3 GTR available for Career Mode?

A: No, unfortunately they're not. Neither are they customisable.

Q: Is Razor's BMW M3 GTR available for customization?

A: Yes, only once you've completed the Career Mode. However, there's a limitation; you can only customise it visually - Paints, Vinyls and Decals. Rims, body kit and spoiler will not be exchangable for other parts.

Q: Are the bonus cars in the Black Edition available for customization?

A: No. They're strictly for racing only.

Q: My cursor is gone! How do I access sub-menus???

A: Use the 9 & 0 keys across the top of the keyboard.

Q: Every time I get to a rival, the game tells me I have defeated him before I have played him. I can complete all the missions, but I can't race him.... What do I do?

A: This is a glitch. What you need to do is go back to Free Roam, access your Map, and you should see a white-colored star icon on your map. Click on that to activate your GPS, and follow the arrow. Once you're there, you can race that Blacklist Member. Repeat this procedure again if the glitch applies for any other Blacklist members.

Q: What's the maximum amount of cars I can put in My Cars and Career Mode?

A: Career - 10 cars, My Cars - 20 Cars

Q: What do these markers do everytime I have beaten a Blacklist member?

A: These markers are your rewards after beating a Blacklist member. You can choose between Unique Parts or Bonus Markers. The Bonus Markers are covered, so you don't know what markers are behind them. It ranges from Extra Cash Reward, Extra Impound Strike, and the Pink Slip to the ride of the Blacklist Rival you've just beaten.

For your information, the markers are random. They change position everytime; there's no pattern to it. So it's mostly about luck.

Q: What do the Impound Strike and Get Out of Jail markers do?

A: Each car as a maximum of three impound strikes. Once you have all 3 X's red, your car is impounded. For this marker, you get to add another extra impound strike to decrease the chances of your ride getting impounded. Each car can have up to a mximum of five Impound Strikes.

Get Out Of Jail Markers are useful if you're outta luck after a bust. Using your Get Out of Jail marker will make eveything as if the bust never took place. If you run out of it, you have to pay by cash, thus increasing your Impound Strike.

Q: What are Pursuit Breakers?

A: Every time you start a pursuit, you'll see red triangles on your map. Those are Pursuit Breakers. When you drive into them, the structure above will fall. It might fall directly onto the cops behind you, and immobilise them, or if they're further back they'll probably have to stop and deal with the situation.

Q: What is Cooldown?

A: After you've evaded the cops, you'll be in a Cooldown mode. Cooldown is simple a period of time between you successully evading the police and them calling off the search for you entirely. If you can avoid the cops for the entire Cooldown period, you will end the pursuit. When you're in Cooldown, you'll see blue circles on your map - hiding spots. Whip your ride into one of these to go into hiding and the cooldown period will end much quicker.

Q: Can I post spoilers on the forum? (Info that can spoil the fun for others, like the ending of the game)

A: No! Please don't - it ruins the game for those who haven't yet played it through.

Q: What's a Rap Sheet?

A: The Rap Sheet is the police record of your crimes and infractions. It can be accessed in the main Career Mode menu. Each car has it's own Rap Sheet, which can be viewed instantly.

Q: What cars are unlocked everytime I beat a Blacklist member?

A: Here we go, thanks to TheStig..
  • Blacklist #15: Sonny. Drives: Golf GTI. Unlocks: Audi A3, Audi TT
    Blacklist #14: Taz. Drives: Lexus IS300. Unlocks: Audi A4, Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    Blacklist #13: Vic. Drives: Toyota Supra. Unlocks: Cadillac CTS, Renault Clio V6
    Blacklist #12: Izzy. Drives: Mazda RX8. Unlocks: Ford Mustang, Mazda RX8, Toyota Supra
    Blacklist #11: Big Lou. Drives: Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. Unlocks: Mercedes-Benz SL500, Mitsubshi Evolution 8
    Blacklist #10: Baron. Drives: Porsche Cayman S. Unlocks: Mercdes-Benz CLK500, Pontiac GTO, Vauxhall Monaro VRX
    Blacklist #9: Earl. Drives: Mitsubishi Evolution 8. Unlocks: Mazda RX7, Subaru Impreza WRX STI
    Blacklist #8: Jewels. Drives: Ford Mustang GT. Unlocks: Lotus Elise, Porsche Cayman S
    Blacklist #7: Kaze. Drives: Mercedes-Benz CLK500. Unlocks: Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 911S
    Blacklist #6: Ming. Drives: Lamborghini Gallardo. Unlocks: Dodge Viper, Lamborghini Gallardo
    Blacklist #5: Webster. Drives: Chevrolet Corvette C6. Unlocks: Chevrolet Corvette C6, Porsche 911 turbo S
    Blacklist #4: JV. Drives: Dodge Viper. Unlocks: Ford GT40, Lamborghini Murcielago
    Blacklist #3: Ronnie. Drives: Aston Martin DB9. Unlocks: Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren, Porsche Carrera GT
    Blacklist #2: Bull. Drives: Mercedes-Benz SLR McLaren
    Blacklist #1: Razor. Drives: BMW M3 GTR

Note that you also unlock your *rival's* vehicle when you defeat them. as well as the regular unlocks.

Technical Stuff

Q: How do I take a screenshot?

A: For the PC version, Press the F12 key. It'll be saved under the My Pictures directory in TGA format. If you're on a console, visit the MW Screenshots Request Thread in the forum and a helpful PC-using member will probably make your car for you and then make the screenshot.

Q: Can I run NFSMW in a window?

A: No, it can only be run fullscreen.

Q: Where do I download patches, saved games etc?

A: You can download them from our Most Wanted Utils & Saves section. Just make sure you download the right version(s) for your game.

Q: Where is the savegame folder located?

A: It's located in My Documents folder under NFS Most Wanted.

Q: How do I disable Motion Blur?

A: For this question, follow up to this thread.

Q: I still gots problems! Help?

A: Try EA Support, or make a post in our Help & Support forum.

NFSUnlimited would like to thank Andre_online for compiling this FAQ. It was edited for content by GT3x24x7. Cheers Andre!

Return to “Help & Support”