NFSMW Hex Editing Tutorial & Guide

Discuss editing Need for Speed Most Wanted.
Nollie
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nollie »

I'd like to know about how I add bonus markers. I've tried doing it the 'guide'-way, as suggested in the guides from the first post, but I don't understand how to add those bonus marker-codes. It tells me to;
1. Open the save file with the hex editor.
- which I do without any trouble.
2. Go to the address 00005739.
- works fine as well.
3. Find the first free 12-byte block (12 times „00“).
- which is where I get kinda stuck, as I don't really understand where this is, or how I find it. I've tried the search button, where I type in 000000000000, but that just takes me to another line in the hex-code. But if that is right, I don't understand why I should go to 00005739 in the 1st place.
4. Write the code you want.
If I just knew where to write the d... code, all should be fine.

Help me, please. I hate these slow, standard tuned cars.
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

Hello guys :) (thx to koffy for the link)
Nollie wrote:3. Find the first free 12-byte block (12 times „00“).
- which is where I get kinda stuck, as I don't really understand where this is, or how I find it.
After the Address 00005739 there start the Bonus Markers you own, each one 12 Bytes long (it could look like this):
The lightblue boxes cover one marker each (12 Bytes) and the orange one is the first 'empty' (12 times 00). If you haven't used any of the obtained markers the first free marker-slot is probably at the end of the last marker. Actually it doesn't matter if you fill it in the first free place or at the end as long as the marker is 12 Byte aligned and inside the valid address range for bonus markers (00005739 - 00005A2D).

Though this will only add you bonus markers which you have to apply to your car manually. If you want to have fast, tuned cars the quick way, I suggest you edit the TuningSlots directly.

*Edit* Happy Birthday Nollie :D

*Edit2* Can you post a screenshot of that address region? Or even your savegame if it doen't have your online account configured? So I can have a look.

*Edit3* Oh I see, thx for the screenshot. You edit the Memory (speed.exe) but the Tutorial is about hexing the savegame (Documents and Settings\%user%\My Documents\NFS Most Wanted\). Open the Savegame instead with a HexEditor like HexWorkshop.
If you want to edit the Memory try looking around the address 0091D928 (for v1.3 of NFSMW) in the MemoryEditor for any bonusmarkers.

*Edit4* Sure, HexWorkshop: http://www.bpsoft.com/downloads/index.html
or XVI32 (freeware): http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... m#download
any other will do as well (ie. the one built into UltraEdit)
Ah you got one, good :)

*Edit5* Remember that two characters will form a byte, so the Codes in the Tutorial should be 12 bytes long (24 characters in total). You can also see it in the picture in this post: The first marker is 0C 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00 and the second one is 0B 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00.
Check from the address 00005739 every 12 bytes if there is a marker or if its just filled with 00 (if your profile never won bonus marker it should be right at address 00005739). When you found it just enter the code from the tutorial. I hope that helps :)

Greets
cparty
Last edited by cparty on 23 Apr 2006, 23:23, edited 7 times in total.
Nollie
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nollie »

Thanks a lot for that info.
You just saved my sunday, which was pretty bad as to now.

I'm gonna try this out as soon as I clean up the kitchen. (We had my grandparents over for my birthday, which btw is tomorrow.) :)

But again, thanks a lot. I appreciate the quick answer. :D

EDIT: Thanks. :)

I'm having some difficulties. When I go to 00005739, I can only see 3F and no 0's whatsoever. :?
What am I missing?

EDIT: Oh yeah. I didn't think about it that way. Now I can get to some serious business. Can't wait to get home and play. 8)
Nollie
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nollie »

Argh. It's still not working.
And I think, I did it all right.
I save after editing, I fix the checksum and I have no problems loading the game and playing. But no bonus markers for poor little me.
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

Maybe you can post another screenshot of the range you just edited? It might be that the code is shifted and not 12 bytes aligned so the game wont recognize it as a valid code.

Greets
cparty
Nollie
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nollie »

Yeah, sure.

Here it is, with the edited codes in black boxes:
Attachments
Hexxed.JPG
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

Ok, here is the problem:
The lightblue boxes represent a marker each, the black boxes are your edited markers and the orange boxes where the black boxes should be instead.
You see, every bonus marker code ends with 3 bytes 00 (i.e. 11 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 01 00 00 00). Your inserted markers start to early (overwriting those 00) which renders them unrecognizable for the game.
Move them 3 bytes to the right (into the orange box) and all should work fine.
Btw. thats what I meant with 12 byte aligned, but I probably should have been more specific.

Btw2. the last marker you insertedd (the one you didn't draw the black box) is wrong anyway (only 11 bytes long) you missed a 00 between the 05 and the 01 ;)
Nollie
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Nollie »

Haha.
So that's where I went wrong. Well, thanks for all your help. I hope I can do it right this time. If not, I'm gonna hit myself with a baseball bat.

UPDATE: YES! It's working.
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Got one question. Is there a way to edit rap sheet with hex?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

the values are stored in the savegame somewhere, but we dont know where. right now, the only things we <i>can</i> change are bounty and infractions served/unserved. the Hex-Editing guide at the start of this topic goes through how to do that.
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Thanks anyway. I'll see what i can do. Have you even tried this?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

yes, i have. they both work, but can be tricky.
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Can you give me any hints for that?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

read the guide. that's all the hint i can give you. and backup your savegame before you try anything, you dont want to accidentally mess it up.
peeter90
Ricer
Ricer

Post by peeter90 »

Ok, found it. Thanks ;)
-woof-Like-c6
Ricer
Ricer

Post by -woof-Like-c6 »

wuyanxu wrote:
Tuner Z wrote:looks cool
but wtf is this gfx card?
it's a Geforce 4 Ti 4400. :oops:

not enough to run this in middle setting, only just about running the game on lower settings (but with high car geometry, to make the cars look good)

Your not the only one i use myself ATI radeon 9200SE Try downloading Game xp to make the game run more faster or overclock it
yusufmothman
Ricer
Ricer

Post by yusufmothman »

hey,
i got a question. is it possible for me to get the m3 wing to a lancer?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i dont know, but if i remember correctly, the wing is part of the m3's body...
yusufmothman
Ricer
Ricer

Post by yusufmothman »

damn.. but there's two different models?
man, that's the best wing i can find in the game. what a pity.
perhapss... it's the stock wing? maybe?
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i checked the 3d file. it's seperate from the body (i.e. the spoiler mesh is seperate from the body mesh). but when i tried to put it on a different car, i dont get anythibg.
yusufmothman
Ricer
Ricer

Post by yusufmothman »

Darn it.
I'm really desperate for that spoiler dude.
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

prince1142003 wrote:i checked the 3d file. it's seperate from the body (i.e. the spoiler mesh is seperate from the body mesh). but when i tried to put it on a different car, i dont get anythibg.
The wing is the stock wing for the car, just like all cars that have stock wings (Lancer, Impreza, GTO, etc.). In the near future it may be possible to replace one of the buyable wings with the BMW wing.

Also the "Fishtail" wing is from the M3 GTR Street Version. Shows how EA is lazy sometimes :D .
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

actually, the spoiler is actually a part of the body mesh. there's no way to get that spoiler onto other cars yet. i plan on trying some ideas when the MW custom car tools are released sometime next year.

EDIT:
the Fishtail wing might resemble the one on the M3 street and the GT2, but they're part of the body mesh as well.
Zpectre
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Zpectre »

prince1142003 wrote:actually, the spoiler is actually a part of the body mesh. there's no way to get that spoiler onto other cars yet. i plan on trying some ideas when the MW custom car tools are released sometime next year.

EDIT:
the Fishtail wing might resemble the one on the M3 street and the GT2, but they're part of the body mesh as well.
It is similar to the GT2 one, but it's identical to the M3 spoiler, just detached from the body and available as a custom spoiler (and made compatible with Porsches, hatchbacks... you know, all that stuff).
Masoom
Stock
Stock

Post by Masoom »

I got the BSS rims for BMW M3 GTR changed changed by a user his nickname is BEEFKING69

I want to have the OZ RIMS.
can anyone tell me... how can i change that .. i have the hex editors and all but cant understand from the guide which part to change i reach till finding the car code.... and its slot career mode or bonus waht ever but dont know what to do after that....

can someone help..

also if I need to know if some one has the IDEA how to create the online persona with Spaces like thr is a user he got his nick name U TAKE LAST and he has spaces in his nick name... can any one tell how its possible... how we can have...

Thanks n regards
Loosing is my Habbit but winning is my luck

Return to “Editing”