Question about car textures in MW (not vinyls)

Discuss editing Need for Speed Most Wanted.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Question about car textures in MW (not vinyls)

Post by burna »

Now that we can edit the textures in most wanted, I have set about setting one matter straight, changing the Vauxhall Monaro Vxr to the Holden Monaro CV8 (at least badging it that way). Now i come to a problem. I have changed the MONARO_BADGING.DDS correctly. It show up in game but looks messed up because i dont know how to achieve the effect in MONARO_BADGING_N.DDS If you donty know what I mean, look below. It creates a fake "3D" look to the texture by shading it. However, the shading on my edited textures look all messed up.

Can anyone suggest a method in photoshop to achieve the correct look?

The _N.DDS file:

Thanks in advance.
Jamaleni
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Jamaleni »

Emboss, extrude filter
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Thanks for the quick reply mate.

I forgot to mention that I have Photoshop 5 LE (old i know), the extrude filter doesm't do what I expected it to do. It doesnt use outlines, rather cuts the picture into boxes and extrudes them different distances.

I can sort of get the effect with emboss filter but dont know what colour to start with to get it right. Can someone with more photoshopping knowledge than me help me out with the choice (in the mean time I'm just trying random things)?

Is there any other newer free version of photoshop (Not that LE was free it just cost a lot less) that contains all the filters? Does Photoshop Elements have filters?
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

Use the "Normal Map Filter" for Photoshop which comes with the NVidia DDS Stuff.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Thanks heaps dude!

Never thought to check that out.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Done. Had a problem with the alphas on the main tex. Couldn't fix it with PS 5 coz it doesn't handle alphas. DL'd GIMP2, IT IS THE BEST!

Fixed it and it works fine in game. 8)

My next step is to change the menu text to say holden. Anyone got any idea about where the bin file for this is? I'm guessing in one of the bun files. I'm not sure how to extract and then re-import the bin files from/to the bun file. I saw a thread but can't find it now :? . Any pointers anyone?
cparty
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by cparty »

burna wrote:Done. Had a problem with the alphas on the main tex. Couldn't fix it with PS 5 coz it doesn't handle alphas. DL'd GIMP2, IT IS THE BEST!
If you are used to the menus and toolbars from Photoshop you might want to have a look at Gimpshop: http://plasticbugs.com/?page_id=294
burna wrote:My next step is to change the menu text to say holden. Anyone got any idea about where the bin file for this is? I'm guessing in one of the bun files. I'm not sure how to extract and then re-import the bin files from/to the bun file. I saw a thread but can't find it now :? . Any pointers anyone?
I don't know in which one of the .BUN files it is, but it probably is in one of them as you said.
You need "Total Commander" ( http://www.ghisler.com/download.htm ) and the gaup plugin ( http://forum.zmodeler2.com/download.php?id=242 ) to open the .BUN files.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Thanks for the link. Works like a dream.

I just checked all the bun files openable with TCMD and cant find the textures I want. I'm betting they are in the THINSCREEN_GLOBAL.BUN and WIDESCREEN_GLOBAL.BUN but I can't open them with that plugin.

Anyone know of any other extractors that would work with BUN files?
Pelado
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Pelado »

Anybody know how to make decals and tire texture? Because I try same way as Underground 1 but it didnt work.

Return to “Editing”