Editing Most Wanted?

Discuss editing Need for Speed Most Wanted.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Editing Most Wanted?

Post by burna »

I checked the format of the files in NFSMW and they are in BIN and BUN formats like NFSU2, also not openable by Bintex. We really need Arushan to help out, or anyone else who can crack it. The NFSU2 files were encrypted with huffman trees (correct me if I'm wrong), and the file format may not have changed since Underground 2 due to noone being able to crack it.
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

Yup, the texture files are exactly the same as the U2 ones. I can extract them using a custom tool, but no import yet...
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Nice to hear from you again!

Unfortunately I never managed to crack the U2 format even though I wanted to. Final exams for school got in the way... and I'm a lazy guy.... :wink:

It's good to hear there's a measure of progress though.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

Im glad to hear someones on it. I would like to see what I can do myself but im a editing amatur. Just what sorta stuff can we do through hex editing? Does it go far enough to being able to use the paint off another car?
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

burna wrote:It's good to hear there's a measure of progress though.
Well, I could access the texture a few months after U2 was out. So not much progress from my point of view :)
Tunerfreak wrote:Just what sorta stuff can we do through hex editing? Does it go far enough to being able to use the paint off another car?
I have no idea what you mean. What paint? the vinyl? the color? Why would you want to use it off another car?
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Decryption in 2 months is progress in my book, even if nothing has happened since then!

How is the file actually encypted? Is it using standard or adaptive huffman tree encoding? I've looked up on this type of compression and I can't make heads or tails of the file structure. :?

I'm just not L33T enough when it comes to hex editing.... :oops:

So are you planning to keep trying to crack the re-encryption now that we know that the MW files are the same as the U2 format?

I sure hope you are, or we are all very, very screwed. :(

I wish we could get a dev to "Accidentally" post the tools they used to create the files. (HINT, HINT to any devs who may be lurking around this forum)
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

I have no idea how the file is actually compressed. I use some of EA's game code for the decompression. I can't release any programs using that code until I rewrite the decompressor. There are a few more non technical things to worry about... wouldn't want so very well known coffee incident happening here.
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

I completely understand that.

I'll try to figure out the EA code and how it works. Can you tell me where the decompression code is in the MW demo exe? Or do you have it somewhere handy?

This would be so much simpler if EA didn't care about intellectual property. Although, in C&C, things were easily editable so I really don't know...
arushan
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by arushan »

Haven't run the MW demo through my trusty decompiler yet. Been having too much fun playing it... this just might be the first NFS game since NFS6 that I'm actually enjoying.

The decompression algo is the same as the U2 one, so grab the code from that. I think I posted the offsets somewhere on this forum. Its about 12 pages worth of x86 asm code. I got tired after the first page :)
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

Thanks, will get the code when I have some more time.
Tunerfreak
Professional
Professional

Post by Tunerfreak »

What I mean is, is it possible through hex editing to change the base colour of a car? E.g is there a way to use the yellow paint off the Cayman and use it on the Viper? or would that mean cracking something that is uncracked atm? Or maybe the demo dosent even feature any more paint schemes?

I probly don't even have any idea of what im talking about :lol: But im trying to make it clearer.

Oh and, does anyone know how the Viper mods were made? Through hex I could see that _OPP_VIPER was renamed to _PLAYER_VIPER but does it go deeper than just the small hex modification?

Lets just say im eager to learn more about hex etc, im a n00b. :roll:
burna
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by burna »

I'm not even sure know how the paint base colours work in the game. It's not the actual textures in the compressed file, anyhow.

And, I'm not sure of how the viper mods were made either. The change should be as simple as replacing "OPP" with "PLAYER", but then in most hex editing I've done the shorter name throws out a bunch of offests for other parts of the file. So, the only way to really know is to ask the German guys who created it themselves.

Still haven't gotten around to getting the asm code segment yet from the exe. That would mean I would have to find the installer for the demo of U2, then install it, then find the post with the position of the segment, then get the segment, then analyse it....etc,etc,etc... and right now I'm waaaaaaaay too tired to even bother. Maybe tomorrow when I've got some energy.
alba
Ricer
Ricer

Post by alba »

arushan, could you send me the thing to extract the textures?
I'd like to work on my unique car vinyl, bored atm :D

Even I won't be able to import it yet, I just want to have it done

:oops:
A-Styling
Drift King
Drift King

Post by A-Styling »

Is it going to be posible to make new cars ?

Return to “Editing”