Keyboard issues... (NFSU2)

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Underground 2.
Be sure to search first!
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Keyboard issues... (NFSU2)

Post by Txsco »

Hey!!!! Firstly I must say this forum is great!! Now to my problems. Since I"ve installed the game (NFSU2) on the start screen, the one that says "Press enter key", i press it and nothing happens, if I wanna start the game I have to click it with the mouse, and my keyboard also doesnt work at the game menus ( cant use the arrows, only mouse ), and now I've just finished Stage 1 - City core, now every race I do, at the end it shows me a screen saying " Select a sponsor ", and a yellow square above this message, I hit enter, click it and nothing happens, it just stays there, if I wanna exit the game I've to ctrl+alt+del and finish the application. The most interesting thing is... the keys work perfectly when driving the car, they are only dead at the menus! Is there anything I can do to fix this?? Sorry for the long post or any mistaken words, but I've bought the game 2 weeks ago and I'm desperate to finish it. Thank you for your time and help.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Err, you don't have to press CTRL + ALT + DEL to exit the game... Just Pause the game while you're driving in FREE ROAM, then click on Jump To Garage. Once you're in the Garage, there's a QUIT GAME button on the bottom-right had corner. ;)
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

I think I haven't made myself clear enough... keyboards does not work. hit enter nothing happens, hit esc, nothing happens, hit the arrows, nothing happens, but only at game menus or that screen telling me to select a sponsor(keyboard works flawlessly when driving the car), thus making it impossible for me to proceed in the game. Do you guys understand now?
ghost_4ce
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by ghost_4ce »

I have a very slighty similar problem. Its totaly insignificant actually but the thing is my "escape" button dosnt work in the menu's. That means I have to use my mouse to press the back which is just irritating, but it does work during races so I have really nthg to complain about.
Back to ur problem now, try "change to defaults' in your keyboard settings. And then try and set them again....
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

What about setting / readjusting the Conroller setups? :P
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Well... when I go to the controller options it only shows me the Keyboard setup, is there anywhere else to go?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

And are the Set Up shown correctly, like for example the Throttle is under the UP key etc.?
Tsxco wrote:Well... when I go to the controller options it only shows me the Keyboard setup, is there anywhere else to go?
And are you saying, from what I know by reading this sentence, that you have another controller, like Joypad or steering wheel? Unless you have those stuff, then you can only adjust the keyboard controls.
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Yup, the keys are set up correctly ( all default settings ), and no, I don't have another controller, only Keyboard (PS/2) and mouse (USB). Would the mouse be the problem?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

OK good, I thought you had another controller, cos you said it only shows the keyboard controls. Remember, unless you have those stuff (steering wheels, joypad etc.), then you can only adjust the keyboard controls.

Another solution, have you tried re-installing the game?
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Yup... 3 times! :cry:
soviet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by soviet »

The problem is with the controller - that being mouse / keyboard. One way I have overcome this bug is to use my Gamepad Pro and assign a button to enter the shop. I am updating my mouse drivers etc. to see if this fixes the bugs.
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Soviet, if u got it working please let me know!
soviet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by soviet »

Mouse driver update didn't make any difference. Keyboard driver change didn't make any difference. EA help didn't do squat though they thought the CD was stuffed so a lot of good there. NOT. The problem is the mouse control for that button becomes lost and this needs to be assigned to another device such as a controller.

Only way around I have found is to setup a controller and assign the enter key / accelerator etc. with this device. Once you play with the keyboard and it's time to select a sponsor, use the game controller to select the sponsor. This works.

Will try some other options though when I think of them.
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Thanks for the insight Soviet, but now another problem arrises... I dont have a controller, at least not hookep up at my machine ( mobo didnt come with a joystick cable to connect to it's internal port ). I also gave a call to EA and they said they have never seen anything like this and told me to send them a copy of my autoexec.bat and confyg.sys to check if the problem is my machine or its just a corrupted game, which I think it is because my pc works perfectly with any other game I have.
soviet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by soviet »

I will tell you one thing about EA support.. No wait.. Children may be reading.
OK, they can to the conclusion that it must be the game CD as it would have been too hard to think of another solution. The issue is that this game is loosing it's assignment for the one button on that screen at that one time. Other keystrokes work fine. I am thinking a Direct X 9c or graphics issue or something that is not happy with my settings.

What video card / setup do you have.

I am running a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg ram video card.
Athlon 2400 XP
1 gig of DDR ram
Sound Blaster live standard card.

Windows XP Pro with SP2.
tsurezure
Ricer
Ricer

Post by tsurezure »

Hi

I had a keyboard problem and the problem was that I also had some other controller (in my case a joystick, I use keyboard in NFSU2) inputting to the game at the same time (I had my "throttle" left at full on my joystick). Once I made sure the joystick wasn't giving any input to NFSU2 things worked fine again. Unfortunately NFSU2 seems to take input from everything it can at the same time?

Just a suggestion... sorry I know it's probably a crap suggestion
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

soviet wrote:I will tell you one thing about EA support.. No wait.. Children may be reading.
OK, they can to the conclusion that it must be the game CD as it would have been too hard to think of another solution. The issue is that this game is loosing it's assignment for the one button on that screen at that one time. Other keystrokes work fine. I am thinking a Direct X 9c or graphics issue or something that is not happy with my settings.

What video card / setup do you have.

I am running a Radeon 9800 Pro 128 meg ram video card.
Athlon 2400 XP
1 gig of DDR ram
Sound Blaster live standard card.

Windows XP Pro with SP2.
My system... :twisted:
MB Asus A7N8x-e deluxe
AMD xp 2500 @ 3200
Corsair Twinx 512 3200ll
Ati radeon 9600 xt 128mb running at 1024x768, 75Hz
Windows XP Pro SP2
I was thinking... perhaps if I format my HD and install it all again maybe it will work... what do you think... I know its gonna be a hassle but... a man gotta play its game! :P
tsurezure wrote: I had a keyboard problem and the problem was that I also had some other controller (in my case a joystick, I use keyboard in NFSU2) inputting to the game at the same time (I had my "throttle" left at full on my joystick). Once I made sure the joystick wasn't giving any input to NFSU2 things worked fine again. Unfortunately NFSU2 seems to take input from everything it can at the same time?.
Hmmm... I'll se if I disconect my mouse the problem will go away... it wasn't a crappy sugestion dude :wink: , hehehe i'll try it then will post results!
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Well... disconecting the mouse didnt work :cry:
soviet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by soviet »

Tsurezure, that is not a bad suggestion and infact I think it is the correct suggestion but forTxsc, this means the PC must have had some controller plugged in, in the past.

When this problem occured on my PC, I had no controller plugged in at the time, but I have had the Gravis Gamepad Pro loaded once before.

So from this here is a suggestion, Txsco - Check to see if there are any game controller references that you have had in the past such as a controller or something that you may have borrowed or used in your Registry / Control Panel and remote it. Another thing is the type of keyboard you are using, is it multi-function etc. Do you have any other weird things that talk to your PC such as IR controller for a TV tuner.. I know, that sounds stupid but I think the monkeys at EA got a little sloppy. Once everything is removed, uninstall the game and remove all references to NFPU2. Now reinstall the game.

P.S. I have found after selecting the second sponsor that the problem still continues.

Good luck.
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Nope, i 've never had a controller hooked up at this machine, what I have connected is keyboard (ps2), mouse (usb), webcam (usb) and printer (usb). Now I was thinking.. is there anywhere in windows registry anything about NFS? If there is I may unistall the game, erase those registry records and try it again. Oh and, yes both my keyboard and mouse are multi-function ones... Keyboard genius kb21e scroll and mouse microsoft intellimouse explorer.
soviet
Ricer
Ricer

Post by soviet »

Could be pointing to keyboard or mouse.. My keyboard is a multi-function thing with wheel for Word document scrolling etc... But when trying to go forward nothing on the keyboard would work. On my controller, the button that allows me to go forward in the game is Brake / Reverse. It seems to be some randomly choosen button on the controller which the game will stick with as I have another button on the controller assigned for Enter Shop etc...
Frenchie
Stock
Stock

Same here...

Post by Frenchie »

I'm using a Logitech Wing Man Formula force, and assigned the ENTER SHOP on a few different buttons without any luck.
I tyr the keyboard as well, without any success.

Does anybody know where EXACTLY your vehicle needs to be parked? anywhere close? right under the light? do you need in be in Neutral, etc...

Has anyone ever contacted EA about similar problems? are they the type who'll blame every other device but not admit their mistakes?

When you're not a computer whiz, problems like this make you feel like such a loser...
:oops:

p.s.: I hate to waste my FIRST post on this board on a PROBLEM requiring help...
It's like: "Ding-Dong!, Hi!, I'm you're new neighbour, can I borrow your snowblower?"
Txsco
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Txsco »

Yo Frenchie... to enter a shop just get under the light, and like when you do an outrun race an icon will popup in your upper left corner then just hit your enter shop key. About EA... well my first problem was that the game would crash to the desktop without any apparent reason, so I called them and they said it was because my mobo's chipset was from Nvidia and my vga from ati, so there was some kind of incopability. Of course I didn't take and I dicided to run a temperature test with nfsug2 and found out it was and overheating problem (due overclocking) so I just crankep up my fan and the problem is gone! Now to my keyboard thing, they wanted me to send a copy of my autoexc.bat and config.sys for a further analisys and I've just got an email asking for me to send them an dxdiag report. Who knows... maybe they will figure it out, or blame my mobo again... anyways good luck, and welcome to the forum :P
Frenchie
Stock
Stock

Post by Frenchie »

Thanks,
I'll keep playing around with a few things before I contact them.

(maybe I'll uninstall/reinstall, it fixed a problem I had with Colin McRae 04 and my pedals...)

I wasn't sure if you needed a "special status", enough money, set some options, etc...

I'm thinking that if there were some sort of imcomp. issue, I couldn't use the ENTER in the game for other features, like the challenge...

I'll keep you posted.
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

i'm having a similar problem like all of y'all over here... NFSU2 WILL NOT accept the "esc" and "enter" keys while I'm at the menus, but the buttons work just fine when i'm out on the streets..

Also, i have a Gravis Eliminator Aftershock... NFSU2 was working fine with it until one day, the controller just disappeared.. now everytime i start NFSU2, the control will shut down, and i'll get a wierd error saying "The drivers have not been correctly loaded" unplugging and replugging does not help at all

maybe the problem with the keyboard is the way NFSU2 reads input? i have a really old multifunction USB keyboard.... maybe the f****s at EA thought we'd only be using newer keyboards?

Return to “Help & Support”