NFSU2 tips

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed Most Underground 2.
Be sure to search first!
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

NFSU2 tips

Post by jeffr »

Best car for all but drag is the Corolla. Best SUV is the Navigator. For career mode, the Corolla is good enough for drag racing, so you only need one car. If you want to run the SUV races, get the Navigator, but note that only one car needs the visual upgrades.

At the start of career mode, you can do 3 outruns, 3 races (one is hidden), and there are a lot of info and two cash pickups you can get before returning Rachels car. After you return her car, go to the garage, a few more cash pickups will appear. It's enough that you can buy all level 1 peformance parts except the tranny at Megalow parts shop before completing stage 1. You don't need any visual upgrades for stage 1.

For outruns, the cars will appear in front of you no matter where you drive, so get on the freeway, as it's easiest. Just pull up along side a car, start him spinning, then start the outrun There are other ways of winning outruns, smash and dash beiing the coolest (noted as gentle nudge in the video). Here's a link to a video of outruns:

nfsu2or.wmv

For each stage, visit the shops first, buy peformance parts (Megalow parts is cheaper, but doesn't have any level 3 parts), do the outruns, then all the races you can, before doing any visual upgrades, as these get unlocked during a stage, and buying them last means you don't waste money replacing parts you just bought ealier in a stage.

I have a savegame with the cars already setup here:

nfsu2.zip

more to come later on in this thread.
Last edited by jeffr on 06 Mar 2005, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Car setup

For suspension and aero settings, there's a bit of conflict between high speed and low speed cornering, so you combine sway bars and downforce to deal with this. The overall stiffness doesn't seem to mater much, but I've been setting springs and shocks around 3. To prevent low speed spins, I set the Corolla sway bars to 4 front, 1 to 2 rear for tighter tracks, or 4 front, 3 rear for higher speed tracks. You can run a bit more front downforce than rear downforce to get the car to turn better at high speed, but I usually just use the sway bars and leave downforce maxed out front and rear. I change this for drift.

For drag racing in the 240sx, set front downforce to 0 and rear downforce to 10 for maximum top speed (game bug). Not sure if this affects other cars the same way.

Tire grip is max for both except for drift.

For drifting in a rear wheel drive vehicle, like the Corolla or Navigator (2 SUV drifts in stage 5 of career mode), I minimize front grip, and set rear grip to medium. Front sway bar is max, rear sway bar is minimum. Tires front grip 0, rear grip 5. I set 1st gear to about 50mph, 2nd at 65mph, 3rd at 80mph. For a front wheel drive, just set everything (suspension and tires) to the middle. Turbo tuning the GTI will result in a smoother torque curve.

I'll have to make another (better) video of a drift, but here's the idea:

nfsu2dft.wmv

Gears:

On the Corolla, the setup chart is off by 8%, speeds will be 8% less than what you setup on the chart. The 240SX doesn't seem to have this problem.

Corolla gears below are listed to nearest mph on the setup chart:
URL: final = 4.10, gears 58, 88, 112, 139, 161, 184
Sprint and Circuit, same as URL with final adjusted for proper top speed.
For outer ring, I only use 6th with NOS gained during a race:
outer ring: final=3.40, gears 60, 99, 139, 177, 218, 236

However, using the stock tranny on the Corolla is even better for Outer Ring and some other tracks. Revert to stock tranny, and only install the shift kit, flywheel, and clutch.

240sx drag: final 3.70, gears 47, 84, 119, 148, 181, 210
The faster guys use lower speeds for the first 4 gears.
At the start of a drag, you can hit the NOS and shift into 2nd just after for a wheelie.
With the setup I use, it's best to just hold the rpms just around 8500rpm and let the car launch before flooring the throttle. Then it's just timing to get perfect shifts.

Ecu and turbo

Minimize the bars on the left to maximize the bars on the right. In the case of the turbo, you can keep cycling between dyno runs and turbo bar adjustments to squeeze an extra 3% power out of the car by reducing all the bars to the left of 7 to minimum. Once you start doing this, don't make any ECU changes or it will mess everything up. It takes quite a while as you only gain .1 hp or less for each cycle. When you're done the turbo bars should look like this:

Last edited by jeffr on 06 Mar 2005, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Online racing

No real advice here, just an explanation of NFSU2's game clock bug. Similar to NFSU1, NFSU2's game clock is sensitive to each players system. You can't trust online lap or drag times that another player hosts, because it's his game clock that you're running against. I'm not even sure that if a player hosts, that his game clock can't be affected by other players or lag. This is why you might get a 19.5x in one drag run, and a 21.7x in another, even though the runs seem the same.

On a related issue, if the host player's clock is too slow, then all the racers in that event get DQ'ed (except for the host). Here's a video of an extreme case I ran into online, I got a 11.26 at Bayview bridge, and an 8.18 at South Runway (bogus times), plus all got DQ'ed.

really bad host clock wmv
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Excellent information here Jeff, as always! Thanks so much for sharing the stuff most would jealously and selfishly guard. 8)
krist
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by krist »

man thats some great info but i just need help with one thing if u can bother...
do you have any good handling setups for a subaru? i am talkin about drift i want to kind of minimize the stiffness that it has when its stock. Also for like sprint and circuit its also stiff is there anything i can do about this or whatever i cahnge it will still be stiff as shiznit? :?
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

For drift, you don't want good handling you want either the front or rear end of the car to easily slide. For a rear wheel drive car, running in just first gear, getting the rear end to swing out isn't a problem. Keeping the car from spinning too far and facing backwards is the issue, so I maximize rear grip and minimize front grip as mentioned in my ealier post regarding setups. This way, if the car get's sideways, the low front grip lets it recover and face back forwards again, instead of continuing on around backwards.

I don't know a lot about expert drifting. NFSU2 seems to favor front wheel drive cars by being more tolerant when swerving side to side in these cars, and allowing the drift points to continue adding up. The online guys tell me that the Golf is the most popular drift car. I've seen a video of a front wheel drive car, and it doesn't have to swerve as much as I did in the video I posted above.

My guess is that you may have to use hand brake with a front wheel drive car for drift, but maybe not. Again, NFSU2 counts a drift even if just the fronts are sliding. So the main thing with the setup is to adjust the tire grip values and the swaybars to adjust front versus rear grip. If the car ends up facing backwards too often, then reduce front grip and increase the rear grip. If the car isn't getting sideways enough, then reduce rear grip and increase front grip. If the car just isn't continuing to get drift points, then reduce both front and rear grip.
Corolla GTS
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Corolla GTS »

Thanks, jeffr. This information will really come in handy for me. Thanks again!
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

more info on drift.

After receiving some help I figured out how to deal with the FWD cars in drift. One thing about drifting a FWD versus a RWD is your control inputs are doing different things.

With a rear wheel drive car, you steer and use the throttle to drive the rear end out. With a rear wheel drive setup, you want maximum rear grip, minimum (like zero) front grip on the setup. Setup like this, releasing on the throttle will straighten up the car as the front end will slide forwards more than the rear.

With a front wheel drive car, you steer, and use the throttle to drive the front end back and forth, and the rear end swings like a pendulum. With this setup, you want more front grip than rear grip, but not by a lot. I started with 10 front, 8.5 rear, and currently I'm at 10 front, 7.0 rear. The experts are around 6 at the rear. One issue is that setup like this, releasing on the throttle while sideways, just gets you more sideways, so there's less margin for error with a front wheel drive.

For the Golf, I left springs and shocks stock, maximum ride height, 0 on the sway bars (or just make them the same), main thing is tire grip, 10 front, 8.5 down to 6 as you get better.
Corolla GTS
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Corolla GTS »

Thanks again!
Asd1RIP*menthoR
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Asd1RIP*menthoR »

a day before i thought that im the best racer in the city....but when i read all this i began to nderstand that im nothing :-)

ill do my best to proof you that im the king of racing and drfting!
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Yet another follow up on drift. These settings work much better for me.

This is for the GTI:

Suspension - everything in the middle (about 5).
Gears - I set 1st for 55 mph , 2nd for 65 mph, 3rd for 80mph
Aero - I set both to 10, but it probably doesn't matter
Tires - both set to middle (about 5)
Ecu - tune for power at max rpms
Turbo - turbo tune so 0 thru 5 are minimized (don't minimize 6).

Stability setting - setting stability on slows down how fast the car rotates. For me it's harder to control, but some drift experts have stability turned on for drifts.
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Here's a save file with everyting already setup:

nfsu2.zip

Note, the Corolla for circuit is setup with stock tranny, as this is faster on some tracks, like Outer Ring.
Drift King
Drift King

Post by 909 »

one more thing about the 2 slightly different environments for drifting...

the circuit drifts: the front and rear suspension lowering should be minimal (like 1/4) since you dont want the tyres to travel a lot since the tracks are fairly uniform

the downhill drifts: the front and rear lowering should be a lot more (like 3/4) since you need the tyres to travel a lot since while drifting, the car goes through a differing type of terrain, and you want the tyres to accomodate all the changes

---

PS: i hate it when "transmission" is referred to as "tranny" (look up all the connotations by yourself heh)
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

An update to Corolla suspension settings (circuit, sprint, url, street-x). I now set them all far left except front sway bar (set to 5.12), and steering (set to max).

Corolla still turns well, but is less spin prone, here's a link to a savegame with these setups:

nfsu2.zip
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Another update. Set corolla rear suspension height, springs, and shocks to max value, as this increases top speed (it's NFSU2, go figure). Removed light flywheel from corolla and 240sx for better launches and better braking via downshifting. Set Golf drift suspension for a bit more grip.

and the link is still the same:

nfsu2.zip
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

how bout some info bout how to squeeze the max performance from a honda civic in drag?
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:how bout some info bout how to squeeze the max performance from a honda civic in drag?
You're serious about this?

You'll need to maxout the suspension, to reduce weight transfer to the rear wheels. If you download my savegame, nfsu2.zip, go into career mode and check out the Golf. I set up all the career cars for all modes, even drag racing for the Golf and Navgator, and even drift for the Navigator.
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Another update, put the lightened flywheel back on, it didn't make the difference I thought it would. Link is the same:

nfsu2.zip
^StephaNOS^
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ^StephaNOS^ »

Best Drag car is 240sx.
mohsan1988
Drift King
Drift King

Post by mohsan1988 »

I'm trying to get all uniques for my 240s drag car....

still proving extremely hard
ViperGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperGT »

you can't use it for ranked races
Jon0
Stock
Stock

Post by Jon0 »

whats the best setup for the pug 106 ?

is it possable to go all the way thru with the pug ?
ViperGT
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ViperGT »

I don't know I don't have it cause I don't have the euro gam but i would advise agaisnt using the 106 I would use a RX-8 RX-7 or something along that line and yes I think it would be possible to go all the way with a peugot but I have no idea about tuning
vellu
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by vellu »

Jon0 wrote:whats the best setup for the pug 106 ?

is it possable to go all the way thru with the pug ?
It's possible. You'll do fine with that in everything except Drag. Get something faster for that. Tiburon, I think, is the first one you can have that has a 6 speed gearbox (even without the level 3 part), which helps in drag. Later in the game you'll have plenty to choose from.
Jon0
Stock
Stock

Post by Jon0 »

its that for me a tricked out pug is awsome and its the only car i want to play ,
i would like some help tuning it for drag to help me get thru the game .

would i be best to get the tranny upgrade over the engine as a unique?

Return to “Help & Support”