BinTex and UG2

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground 2.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

BinTex and UG2

Post by RedCarDriver »

I'm trying to replace some of the decals (not vinyls) in the textures.bin of Underground 2, and every time I import a texture the entire textures.bin file somehow seems to get corrupted (nothing displays correctly). I know the textures work since I've used them before in Underground. Can anyone help me out here?

EDIT: I'm recycling this thread as a general BinTex thread for UG2, scroll down a bit please.
Last edited by RedCarDriver on 04 Sep 2008, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
dalamar23666
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Slight problem with BinTex editing

Post by dalamar23666 »

Are all of the sizes correct? Meaning width height etc. I have replaced graphics in GTA games and there seemed to be a program I had to use for it but I can't recall the program. I wonder if the textures requires a checksum type thing like the save editor. NFS seems to be a lot less edit friendly than the rockstar games.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Well, I know they're the correct size (again, I used the textures in the exact same way in Underground) but I'm not sure that they're in the correct format. It says they're DXT3 (what they're supposed to be) but I'm still not sure.
wondaboy
Ricer
Ricer

Post by wondaboy »

Ive noticed that sometimes the adresses of the vinyls change or move as more gets added, try using the program TexMod. It extracts and adds vinyls and decals without ever experiencing any problems + i think its much easier than BinTex to use as you work while seeing the picture of what u busy with the whole time. Just extrackt a vinyl,change it to whatever design u want in photoshop and than save, dont change the file name or save it under difrent location, just save and then add it the same way. When u restart your game the vinyl will be in the place of what you replaced. You can also edit the apearance of lights, tires, mags, mesh interior basicaly everything.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Yeah, I could do that, but finding each decal tends to be a pain, organizing it takes a lot more time, and I don't really want to have to run the game through TexMod each time - if I could get BinTex working it would work a lot better. I do know how to use TexMod, however, so I could if I have to (I'd just prefer to add them into the .bin file itself because it works better).
Bytesss
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Bytesss »

RedCar,
I just looked and there are DXT1, DXT3 and a few A8R8G8B8 textures in UG2's cars/textures.bin with all sorts of height/width combos. If you're sure that you're importing the correct size & format and still get a corrupted textures.bin try using mwtex to import instead.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Bytesss wrote:RedCar,
I just looked and there are DXT1, DXT3 and a few A8R8G8B8 textures in UG2's cars/textures.bin with all sorts of height/width combos. If you're sure that you're importing the correct size & format and still get a corrupted textures.bin try using mwtex to import instead.
Hmm, I'll have to try that then. I've used BinTex for UG2 before and it worked perfectly fine; I have no clue why it stopped working now. I think it's a problem with the format - maybe I will try using MWTex instead, if I can.

EDIT: Well, cr@p. I tried it with MWTex and now I know my problem - under Method it says "JDLZ" for all of the old ones but it says "RAWW" for all of mine. Any help here? :?
Bytesss
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Bytesss »

RedCarDriver wrote:
EDIT: Well, cr@p. I tried it with MWTex and now I know my problem - under Method it says "JDLZ" for all of the old ones but it says "RAWW" for all of mine. Any help here? :?
That's normal. If you upload (or email) one of the texture files you want to import I'll see what the problem is.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Bytesss wrote:
RedCarDriver wrote:
That's normal. If you upload (or email) one of the texture files you want to import I'll see what the problem is.
Okay, next time I get a chance I will. I'm actually trying to use vinyls from a pack, namely these ones:
http://www.nd4spdworld.com/vinyl.php?dl=3103
http://www.nd4spdworld.com/vinyl.php?dl=3090
...as well as some of my own, although those aren't a priority right now as I just want to see if I can import ANYTHING :( .
Bytesss
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Bytesss »

RedCarDriver wrote:
Bytesss wrote:
RedCarDriver wrote:
Okay, next time I get a chance I will. I'm actually trying to use vinyls from a pack, namely these ones:
http://www.nd4spdworld.com/vinyl.php?dl=3103
http://www.nd4spdworld.com/vinyl.php?dl=3090
...as well as some of my own, although those aren't a priority right now as I just want to see if I can import ANYTHING :( .
I tried to import an original untouched dds and still get a corrupted textures.bin so the problem is with the import apps not the textures. Take a look at this page:

http://www.nfscars.net/forum/showthread.php?p=378405

The fix mentioned on that page doesn't work with UG2 so I don't think bintex or mwtex can import to that file.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Bytesss wrote:...I don't think bintex or mwtex can import to that file.
!@#*!#@$*&

:( :cry:

Thanks for all of your help anyway... I really hope someone makes an updated BinTex or something to fix this. The one thing I don't understand is WHY it won't work... I imported textures into the textures.bin of UG, and many people imported stuff into the textures.bin of MW, so... :x

Maybe I'll email Arushan or Loque. It doesn't seem like they're still active but hey, they might be able to help...
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Re: BinTex and UG2

Post by RedCarDriver »

Well, I've e-mailed Arushan about it. In the meantime I actually have managed to make a simple mod for the RX-7, to make the tail lights into the JDM ones (as seen in PS and Carbon; they look a lot better IRL than in PS) and to put the new Mazda badge onto it. It's not too impressive, but hey, it works. I'm also working on a mod to make the "Bullseye" gauge needle less... ugly. I will post them soon.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Okay, so I broke down and switched to using TexMod. At least I've got new decals \:D/ but it's annoying to run UG2 through TexMod all the time :(.

I've got a request now. This may sound weird, but can anyone with the Japanese version of the game tell me if the RSX is a Honda Integra in that game, the IS300 is a Toyota Altezza, the G35 is a Skyline V35, etc.? I'd really like to have the JDM badged versions for all of those cars...

(I own a legal copy of the game and can prove it, is it okay for me to ask for some of the Cars\?\?.bin files of that version?)
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Sorry for the bump, but I've got updates:

Well, regardless of whether or not it looks official, I've finished a texture mod that makes the RSX into a Honda Integra Type-R, the IS300 into an Altezza, etc. as listed above. It looks decent, although not great, and I'll be making it available (probably) pretty soon. You do need BinTex for it (the Cars\*ANY CAR*\Textures.Bin is openable), and for full effect, there is also a TexMod package.

I've also made a mod that removes most of the product placement in UG2. The billboards (lol burgerking) are replaced by car ads, which I think is an improvement because they actually relate to the game. I'll also make a vinyl mod that replaces all of the sponsor vinyls with factory decals or something but I haven't started on that yet.

Also, I'm still looking for a way to save textures into UG2's Cars\Textures.Bin and Cars\Wheels\Textures.bin. If you're wondering why I'm trying to open the Wheels one, I'm trying to make the five-spoke Rota rims into Nismo rims (still with little success). I've made some progress though: when I run the DDS file through BinTex by importing it and then exporting it, it comes out the right size and apparently the same format as the existing ones. I still think the converter is having trouble with editing these textures.

EDIT: More progress - I've figured out that BinTex 0.5 can save textures in JDLZ format but not save the BIN file properly, while MWTex 0.002.1 cannot save textures as JDLZ format but will actually save the rest of the BIN file properly. Running it through both isn't exactly possible because MWTex screws the one file you import up while BinTex chews up the whole archive. Any suggestions? All that really needs to be done is to add JDLZ support to MWTex but that may be easier said than done.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

YES! YESYESYES!!! SWEEET!

http://www.nfs-planet.de/en/news/4860/

NEW, POSSIBLY WORKING (for what I'm trying to do) TEXTURE EDITOR! Back to work, without needing TexMod... :mrgreen: I'll report whether or not this works later.

EDIT: frick. the texture editor chews up the textures. back to where I was... -_-

EDIT 2: Decals and some other stuff still are editable, so although I can't turn the Rota wheels into Nismo wheels with this, it still does about what I've already been able to do with TexMod. w00t.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

Okay, I think I've figured out what the problem is. Either I can't edit the TGA file to be exactly what it is supposed to be, or for some reason it doesn't import it properly. It cuts off the top half.

EDIT: To be precise, it makes the top 42 pixels have no information (black image, full-transparency). The "cropped" file is actually bigger than the other one, at 86 KB rather than 65 KB, and when I add 42 pixels of height to the fixed one, it comes out to be the same file-size. I'm gonna try adding 11KB of white-space into an image and importing it - sure, it might screw something up, but at least it'll be an interesting experiment.

EDIT 2: Okay, I tried it. Aside from the fact that opening image files with a text-editor is a rather stupid idea and the simple act of doing so screws up the image, with the extra white-space the image actually imports properly. So if I can get a hex-editor or something to add just the right amount of white-space, it should import, judging from the outcome of these experiments. If it doesn't, it is probably a flaw in the texture-editor.

EDIT 3: HOLYCRAP IT WORKS - so apparently adding white-space to the image if it's not the right size fixes this bug.

Return to “Editing”