I would like to modify NFSU 1 vehicle

Discuss editing Need for Speed Underground.
ajr650
Stock
Stock

I would like to modify NFSU 1 vehicle

Post by ajr650 »

I love Need For Speed Underground 1. I don't like the cops in all the other games and NFSU 2 keeps hanging at the load screen - it seems to happen to lots of people but no new patch has been issued. The game itself plays fine. Anyway, I have a problem with NFSU 1 and I'd very much appreciate if someone could help me out.

Basically, I like VW Golfs and the Golf GTI that is in NFSU handles and performs fairly poorly. The best handling car I've used is the Mazda Miata - good for drifting. Sound is also important and the best sounding car I've used is the Mazda RX7.

So, I was wondering if it would be possible to get a vehicle that looked like the Golf GTI, handled like the Miata and sounded like the RX7. I tried moving the files around i.e switching the folders so that the Golf geometry was in the Miata folder but this just screwed NFSU up. Same deal with moving the sounds.

Also, I looked for some new tracks and cars and I couldn't find any. I presume EA didn't make it easy to do this?
S2000_Skyline12
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by S2000_Skyline12 »

I think if you switched the folders the game would crash. If i'm wrong, correct.
*sig removed for being too big. max size 550x120px & 50kb*
ajr650
Stock
Stock

Post by ajr650 »

S2000_Skyline12 wrote:I think if you switched the folders the game would crash. If i'm wrong, correct.
The game crashed on quitting but what happened in the game was that neither car showed up. So when I selected the Miata, all I got was the brake calipers. Switching the sound just made it like I was driving a silent car.

I don't mind the sound so much but the handling is important. If only there was a file that had the physics values of each vehicle so I could modfiy them. It seems like these must be hard coded into the game or something.
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Post by xturbo »

NO CARS AND TRACKS FOR U1 and U2.
Sorry :lol:
ajr650
Stock
Stock

Post by ajr650 »

It's a shame, it could've given this game so much more depth.

One thing I noticed is that opening the geometry files in a Hex editor showed that they contain hundreds of links to the car name so I'd have to match all the Golf components to the Miata's. If I could extract the .bin file, it would be easier but games companies always seem to use really weird custom compression formats.

I imagine the physics options are all stored inside the game executable too as I can't see any file related to it. I would have thought the sound would have been quite easy to transfer across. Even if I got all the cars to sound like the RX7, it would be great.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: I would like to modify NFSU 1 vehicle

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Yeah, unless you really know what your doing you'd probably stuff the files. Did you back it up?

And yes, the Golf is pretty bad in UG1 but fairs better in UG2.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: I would like to modify NFSU 1 vehicle

Post by Andre_online »

Notice the date of the latest post before yours? 2007. :P

Return to “Editing”