Two laptops and NFS2 ???

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed.
Be sure to search first!
DelArco
Stock
Stock

Two laptops and NFS2 ???

Post by DelArco »

I've been trying to set up two laptops for playing NFS2 against my friends.
Haven't been succesfull yet and it seems to be impossible to find any instructions from internet.
I've installed IPX on both PC's (XP) and they are connected via crossover cable. I can start the network mode from host PC and create a game, but the other one can't connect to host.
Both PC's are giving reply when PINGing.
I am totally out of the blue with this. I could consider trying to set this up with a null modem cable, if that would be easier. But if it is possible to make it work with crossover cable...preferrable.

I would highly appreciate for any help on this.
Please, bare me, although I know this is an "ancient" game....but I just love it...

-DelArco-
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Are you using the same copy on both computers? That usually doesn't work..or maybe it did 8 years ago?
Are you using a firewall or a router?
DelArco
Stock
Stock

Post by DelArco »

Yeah, I'm using same copy.
Don't know if it worked 8 years ago, cause (believe it or not), I never even tried the multiplayer mode, just "split screen". :)

I do have firewalls, but I naturally disabled'em for the test. And no, I am not using any router or hub as pc's are connected via crossover network (RJ-45) cable.

About the installations....on host pc I installed NFS with "full installation" - option. And to other pc (from same CD) with "remote installation" - option.
Well, this might be where I went wrong...I just have lost all the manuals that came with the package during these years...

Peace,

DelArco
SuperRacer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by SuperRacer »

Hmm..what exactly is remote installation? Try doing a full install on both PCs..
^Sparco^
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by ^Sparco^ »

I remember when installing NFS3, there was an installation option called "remote installation". The installation util said it is the correct option to play online.

Try to install with 'remote' in both pcs....... maybe will run.
DelArco
Stock
Stock

Post by DelArco »

Installing both with "remote" doesn't do, because one can't create a game in remote pc. Remote can only join created game....
How can this be made so damn difficult...??? :)

Return to “Help & Support”