Running NFS se under XP/ NT

Ask and answer questions about Need for Speed.
Be sure to search first!
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Running NFS se under XP/ NT

Post by Rogue »

I am trying to run the original NFS se game on my pc under windows XP. Does anyone know how to go about doing this so that it operates as I keep getting the message that the game is not suitable for NT systems. Thanx in advance for suggestions..
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by master m »

Are your plugins updated (DirectX,...).
Normally an older should work on a new PC.

I played NFS2-SE on my new PC, without any problems.
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

NFS2-SE runs with windows XP just fine. There is an issue if you have more than 512MB of ram. I created a small program that allocates 512MB of ram then goes into idle mode. You can download a zip containing this program from here:

w512mb.zip

Extract w512mb.exe and place it anywhere on your system, I suggest the same directory as NFS2SE. Create a shortcut to it and set the properties so it starts with the windows minimized.

For 1GB of ram, run it once, for 2GB of ram, run it 4 times. NFS2-SE will then run ok. You can create a batch file to run w512mb.exe. Each line in the batch file should have the command:

Code: Select all

start /min w512mb.exe
Rogue
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Rogue »

Does this apply to the original nfs se game. I somehow hope to eventually play this on my xp pc..
jeffr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jeffr »

Note, with my new host provider, I can't put files under cgi-bin anymore. The new home for w512mb.zip is here:

w512mb.zip

Return to “Help & Support”