Need for Speed needs to be put to rest

The Future of Need For Speed
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Need for Speed needs to be put to rest

Post by prince1142003 »

So, I found this article on Yahoo today. Made me laugh quite a bit and then a bit more because I agreed with it.

Enjoy

Sorry if this has been posted before.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Need for Speed needs to be put to rest

Post by Carcrazy »

...rumor has it that this junker is headed back to the shop. Let's hope it stays there.
OWNED. That's actually a funny little article... :P
All to much true, though. :?
powerof1000
Drift King
Drift King

Post by powerof1000 »

and it should die
www.soundcloud.com/spyre
prince1142003
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by prince1142003 »

I agree. EA has been rather unsuccessful after the Underground era.

Pre-Underground:
The NFS - Generally successful; unique; simulation
NFS 2 - Still very similar; arcade
NFS 3: Hot Pursuit - Still cited as one of the best old school NFS
NFS 4: High Stakes - Damage model; new racing modes
NFS 5: Porsche Unleashed - Detailed history of one popular car manufacturer
NFS 6: Hot Pursuit 2 - Blackbox's first; essentially HP with damage

NFS 7: Underground - First to experiment with tuner culture; less focus on exotics; first storyline
NFS 8: Underground 2 - Basically the same as Underground

Post Underground:
NFS 9: Most Wanted - Return to pursuit style; first FMV sequence; return of exotics
NFS 10: Carbon - Essentially Underground with Most Wanted mashed in; added muscle cars; autosculpt
NFS 11: Prostreet - Return of damage; removal of open world; removal of police; return to track racing; no fmv or storyline
NFS 12: Undercover - Return to storyline and fmv; return of police and open world; essentially Most Wanted 2

Granted the post UG series is shorted than the pre, it's quite obvious that nothing new has happened in the NFS series since about Most Wanted. I'll argue ProStreet since it did add a very good damage model and good graphics. But fact is nothing new has really come out of a recent NFS. Each and every one has been an attempt to redo something that has been previously done. I personally think that's the point when a game series should be put to rest for a few years.
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

prince1142003 wrote:...for a few years.
I say you need to put an emphasis on that. Some people think when we say 'put it to a rest,' they think we mean forever. I don't think NFS should be gone forever, just gone cold turkey; I think EA needs to stop for a bit, come up with some new ideas, and then start over again, fresh.
Wezo
Stock
Stock

Post by Wezo »

If upcoming game isnt good.. put them to rest.
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

I'd say that EA needs to put RELEASING games every freakin' year to rest. They need to recuperate and begin working on a game, hopefully taking five years or so to work on it. Why they haven't done this I still don't know.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Believe me. Some people will still be unhappy in more ways than one; non-annual release would tick some of them off.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Five years? You want Need for Speed Forever or something?
Carcrazy
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Carcrazy »

Andre_online wrote:Believe me. Some people will still be unhappy in more ways than one; non-annual release would tick some of them off.
Yup, but these "some" would be the n00b fanboys, not the die-hards. Not to mention how the noobs normally become die-hards in two or three years down the road, then THEY get tired of it, like us. Then more noobs move it... It's a never ending cycle. :lol:
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Exactly.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Don't get too carried away with your veteranship, you're still a noob to me!
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Oh, I didn't label those 'people' as noobs, and neither do I consider myself a die-hard fanatic. I was merely concurring with Carcrazy's statement on the 'never ending cycle' of new NFS players. :)
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

The last good NFS that was released was Underground 1. Nothing after that was good. (Most wanted was ok...)
NFSU2 had free roam that forced you to drive to locations instead of being able to teleport there.
MW had a good story, but semi-good gameplay.
Carbon was just bad.
ProStreet was the worst game I've ever played. "MY BUDDY RYAN COOPER TAKES THE LEAD" Need I say more?
I'm not bothered to finish Undercover because the cops are too hard to escape. D:

The games before the tuner era were great. I only wish they had better graphics. >_> The promoters of the new NFS's were either women with big jugs or hot bodies, or some trailers that included the crappy acting of the story.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

U2 was great actually, as well as MW. Carbon, ProStreet and UC, yeah. UC was better than PS though. And the cops in UC are easy.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

UC was better than PS? I beg to differ.. PS physics was way more realistic than UC's.
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

Andre_online wrote:UC was better than PS? I beg to differ.. PS physics was way more realistic than UC's.
i 2nd that , pro street was alot better had that arcade feel but still was realistic.
Also think that they should pause for a few maybe 2 years? Take a few looks around at there biggest title they go against
Gran Turismo soon to be 5, they take forever and a half to make a game but when it comes out u never forget it.
I still install NFS:hs on my computer because its such a great game. I think black box is killing them slowly...can we get some thought process in there? Just because u have a story line doesn't mean u got a good game. I can careless of a story line gimme the beautiful alps and a Ferrari 599 and ill just smile and continue buying u. what happen to that over the edge exotics and cops that have no chance. Give me NFS:HP2 with amazing physics and graphics and i think we all will smile again for NFS.
Lucky 13
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lucky 13 »

PS was rubbish. You can't turn damage off, PS2 got left in the cold on damage ( :x) , PS2 got left in the cold on car & track content ( :evil: ) and the storyline had less depth than Underground's if that's even possible ( :evil: :evil: :evil: ). Then they screw up the nitrous system ( :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: ) and make visual modifications affect performance, I know that's the way it is in real life but come on, this is NFS! I've noticed that a spoilerless modded 350Z is all but useless because it spins out everywhere, thanks nothing EA for trying to combine NFS with Gran Turismo :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
*farts*
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Actually PS was a really nice touch to the NFS series. The fact that visual modification affects handling just adds that bonus into this game. NFS may be more to the lines of arcade, but I don't think I've had much fun playing PS, knowing that it was supposedly an arcade game. :)

And BTW, PS wasn't intended to be a 'story-line' game. You can't compare it with UG1.

If only my PC was better, I'd be playing it almost daily.
Lucky 13
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lucky 13 »

Well, whatever. It's not NFS when visual and performance modifications are the same thing.

I admit that widebody kits improve your handling in UG2, but in all cases it is something you can do without. That's nowhere near the level of performance-visual entanglement founf in PS.
*farts*
RedCarDriver
Drift King
Drift King

Post by RedCarDriver »

IMO ProStreet was okay, but not decent enough for the amount of time, money, and hype invested in it. UG2 was the best NFS, seeing as it's the only one I really play on any kind of regular basis anymore and the physics were the best.

UG2's visual tuning does affect performance. Better body kit parts = more downforce available = more grip; the downforce sliders actually do stuff and they are only unlockable when body kits and spoilers are put on.
Lucky 13
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lucky 13 »

Pretty well hidden secret I guess, and one I never used much. I still pick my parts in that game based on looks...

Also, IMO Most Wanted's physics are the best.
*farts*
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

NFS games just plain suck. They operate on a annual time table and sell the same rehashed garbage, only in a way, they get worse each time.

Long gone are the days of High Stakes and Porsche Unleashed. Get over it. This series is a lost cause.

Yeah yea, argue all you want how there are a couple of cool features that make the game interesting, but since when do we buy games to jump through 20 hoops just to be pleased with one small feature?

The way I see it, NFS has become the racing franchise for the children. If an adult can find satisfaction by playing these games.. .err, might be a personal problem. There are better games to spend money on than NFS titles.
korge
Lucky 13
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Lucky 13 »

How is this the game for children?
*farts*
arabnight
Drift King
Drift King

Post by arabnight »

nfs is like ur child that started to useing all types of drugs n u want him to get back to how he use to be.
and the game is not only for kids its for everyone. you have to remember its a arcade game at heart there trying to put that GT feel in there but still trying to keep the arcade feel aswell so as much as we want more GT in NFS its not happin soon. i think i speak for atleast, alps sexy cars, good tuning, good physic n thats all

Return to “NFS 2022”