Need for Speed Shift 2, officially announced.

The Future of Need For Speed
shinjeon9
Ricer
Ricer

Need for Speed Shift 2, officially announced.

Post by shinjeon9 »

Watch the official video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-rqwXYj2Hk

Slightly Mad Studios' Need for Speed Shift 2 Unleashed will be released during the spring of 2011 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, EA's announced.

Shift is EA's Gran Turismo and Forza killer – it's designed to offer an authentic simulation racing experience in contrast to the arcade racing found in Criterion's Hot Pursuit.

The first Shift sold through close to five million copies worldwide, according to EA. Shift 2 brings an "all-new" rendering engine and a "massive" graphics overhaul.

"With an innovative helmet camera view simulating the physical experience of driving at 200mph, the thrilling experience of night racing and authentic degradation of tracks and cars, this is tomorrow's sim for today's adrenaline fuelled racer," said EA.

Hot Pursuit's Autolog feature, which connects friends and compares stats, returns.

Shift 2's debut trailer is bonus content for Criterion's Need for Speed Hot Pursuit, out in the US today and the UK on Friday.

Shift 2 "is redefining immersive racing by blending the rush of tearing up the track at unbelievable speeds with the emotional experience of competitive battle" said executive producer Marcus Nilsson.

"We are also working closely with real-world performance drivers to ensure that Shift 2 Unleashed captures their experience and becomes the benchmark in authentic racing action."

The announcement comes as no surprise: Shift 2's been mentioned here and there for over a year.

And only two weeks ago EA executive Patrick Soderlund told Eurogamer he hopes the Shift series will overtake Sony's Gran Turismo series and Microsoft's Forza franchise as gaming's leading simulation racer.

"We think we can compete and ultimately become market leading in the simulation authentic motorsport segment," he said.

"One of the strongest points we have is, apart from the fact we have a very talented developer working with us and we now have an established brand underneath the NFS umbrella in that segment, we also have the advantage of being a multi-platform offering.

"Forza can only be bought on Xbox and Gran Turismo is only available on PlayStation. We're the only one right now that is of a significant weight that can offer something up on all those platforms."

Source : Eurogamer
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2010- ... -announced

*another source; stating they have played the demo. I don't know it is reliable or not.
http://www.huliq.com/10281/need-speed-s ... pring-2011
or you can read it here :
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit hit shelves this morning and already, the folks at Electronic Arts have the next installment of the NFS series in progress. Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed is expected to arrive in US stores in the spring of 2011 and like the first NFS: Shift, Shift 2 Unleashed is a racing simulator intended to take on the biggest titles in the industry like Forza Motorsports 3 and Gran Turismo 5.

Thanks to the folks at EA, World Racing and ScionLife.com, I was able to play the new Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed a few weeks ago at a private viewing of the new game. Along for the debut was Chris Rado, whose ScionLife sponsored and World Racing-built Scion tC time attack car is featured in the game – as well as being available to check out in person. Another special car featured in NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed is Vaughn Gittin Jr.’s 1969 Mustang RTR-X, which made its debut at the 2010 SEMA Show and Vaughn was also there in person to check out the new Need for Speed.
Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed looks to perfect the art of NFS simulation

As soon as the game play of Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed begins, it is crystal clear that this is a simulator – not the gamey racer that NFS is more commonly known for. The graphics are incredible, from the fine details of the car down to the sponsor decals on Rado’s time attack Scion that we were using, right down to the bolts around the interior when you are in 1st person view. From the motions of the driver to the track layout, NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed offers truly incredible graphics.
The time that I spent playing Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed was spent on the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps, a massive venue that gives you a little of everything – from long, high speed straights to some super tight, technical turns. Unlike some other NFS races, there will be no sliding around turns at 150mph or running through the grass at high speed, cutting off turns to cut time.

Careful braking is a must, as once you are too deep into a turn only locking the brakes will save you from the outside walls. In the event that you should even take a turn a bit too wide, the elevated track edge and grass just beyond it are devastating at high speeds – often resulting in amazingly violent crashes with intense physical damage as the car tumbles. However, after a few laps around Spa-Francorchamps, I was able to get a feel for the steering and braking controls and at that point, NFS: Shift 2 Unleashed really shines.

We were able to tear around the Circuit de Spa-Francorchamps in both Chris Rado’s time attack Scion tC as well as Vaughn Gittin Jr’s RTR-X Mustang, with these two very different cars clearly illustrating the differences in handling from car to car.

In short, Need for Speed: Shift 2 Unleashed, at least the demo that we got to play, was an incredible addition to the NFS lineup and between the graphics and game play, it should be a popular fixture in the racing simulation segment. Two thumbs up to the folks at EA – I can’t wait to get my hands on this game in the spring when it reaches stores!
The only risk is if there is no risk at all.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Need for Speed Shift 2, officially announced.

Post by ElvenAvenger »

If they want to really rival Forza and Gran Turismo....

They need an awesome carlist like those 2 titles have.
Honestly, if Gran Turismo had like 100 cars only, it would get boring after a while.

I didn't try Forza and only played Gran Turismo on PSP, but the part of GT's awesomeness (atleast for me) is its huge carlist that surpasses any Need For Speed's carlist even if you'd cut out all the variations of the same car, different market versions, production years etc.

But i don't think they can get such a huge carlist done before release date.

Not enough time for that.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Need for Speed Shift 2, officially announced.

Post by Bojan »

Return to “NFS 2022”