NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Nice one! Yeah a lot of these Yank Tanks are pretty tail-happy, but if you're ready for that, they can still be quick. Nice work with the NFSUnlimited decals too :P
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Chevrolet Corvette Z06

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Tier: 3
Drive: RWD
Price: $822,000 (Works)
Nitrous: [No]
Works: [Yes]
Drift: [No]

Specifications

Tune: WORKS
Rating: 20.00
Weight: 2818 LBS
Power: 731 HP
Torque: 744.52 LBS/FT
Top Speed: 202 mph
0-100: 4.13 sec
0-160: 7.55 sec
100-0: 5.43 sec

Testing

Mode: Race
Track(s): Alpental
Laps: 10
ABS: On
TCS: Low
ASM: On
Control: Xbox 360 Controller
Best: 39.521

Review

Verdict: Win

Summary: My Tier 3 Vehicle for Career, amazing.

Review: The Corvette legend lives on in Need for Speed Shift. This vehicle is a monster. In my opinion, one of the best cars in the game. It has incredible Acceleration on the straights, and decent braking in corners. You can almost powerslide out of every corner with a little practice. It's really easy to keep control of this icon in the Industry.

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Lamborghini Murciélago LP640

Post by Hydro_PT »

Drive: AWD
Price: $300,000
Nitrous: No
Works: Yes
Drift: No

Specifications

Rating: 20.99
Weight: 1485 KG
Power: 970 HP
Torque: 1000.69 Nm
Top Speed: 287 km/h (this value is not true, you can reach 312 km/h)
0-100: 2.02 sec
0-160: 4.61 sec
100-0: 2.64 sec

Testing

Track: Nordschleife
Laps: 1
TCS: On
Control: Wheel
Best: 6:46:990

Review

Summary: Best car in the game. Period.

Review: The mythic and powerful Lamborghini Murciélago LP640 has been part of the NFS games for some time now, and in SHIFT it stands out since the beginning. To put it simple, it's the best Tier 3 car and the best car in the game. It has a massive acceleration that beats all other cars (yes, the Corvette Z06 too). It has a a lot of braking power, so you can brake just before the corner and do it perfectly nice. Oh and it is a pleasure to make this baby slide on all corners, being really easy to keep it controlled, while leaving a trace of smoke behind. The Murciélago is pretty fun to drive, and it's hard to lose the control of it, since it's an AWD car.

Once you tune this thing to its maximum (and awesome) power, you won't need any other car. With a rating of 20.99, it smashes the competition wherever you take it. Nothing can beat the Murciélago, be it a Veyron, the Zonda R or the Maserati MC12. And to be perfect, it's a beautiful car, even with the Works bodykit.

So don't look anywhere else. Get this monster and take it to the track. He will love to break new records and you will love driving it. Pure adrenalin and fun.

PS: If, by any chance, you understand what all those tuning sliders do, I'm sure you will get even more power out of this beast. That is, if EA/SMS patch the game properly, because it seems there is a severe problem with the LP640 when it comes to tuning. Top speed permanently reduced and sixth gear useless. Selling and buying the car again seems to be only the fix.

ImageImageImage

---------

To everyone who intends to review a car: can't you please provide the stats in the same units of measurement? Just to make things equal for everyone and easier to understand. It shouldn't be hard, just go to options and change from imperial to metric. It should make all values like the ones below:

Weight in kilograms (KG).
Top speed in kilometres per hour (km/h)
Torque in Nm.
Last edited by Hydro_PT on 06 Oct 2009, 14:04, edited 2 times in total.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Re: Lamborghini Murciélago LP640

Post by Skroting »

Hydro_PT wrote: PS: If, by any chance, you understand what all those tuning sliders do, I'm sure you will get even more power out of this beast.
That's where you're wrong (until the game is patched, that is). If you try to tune your LP640 - especially the gear ratios - you will brake your car and you will not be able to fix it. The topspeed will drop from about 312 (as you mention) to about 280-something and the sixth gear will be next to useless. Even setting all tuning back to default will not help.

Hopefully this will be fixed in the upcoming patch.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

WTF :shock:

I'm glad I never lose time tuning any car... I didn't know there was a problem with the LP640 in particular. Let's see if it gets fixed soon with the new patch. Meanwhile I'll leave a note on my review about that. Thanks for the warning. :)
VG_Speed
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by VG_Speed »

Olá Hydro! ;)

Its still unknown what the LP640 can really do, since you cant change the Setup... Still, the LP640 is not the best car in the game by far, probably not the best car anywhere, although pretty good to drive, and definately among the best... My knowledge of the game is still limited, but with Default Setup with Zonda R I already did 6m 13s in Nordschleife from standing start, and this is even more relevant when I still dont consider myself to be comfortable in the 2nd half of that Track. Besides that, the MC12 and Works Z06 can also do sub 6m 20s, and in the case of the Z06 there are rumours talking about sub 6m 10s, probably not from standing start.

Anyway, there is a track I know already pretty well: Road America. In that track, using both cars with Default Setup, the Zonda is at least 1.7s faster then the LP640 per lap.

Lets wait and see what happens when we can change its setup, but since Zonda R can also be improved thru setup, I dont believe LP640 setup changes will be able to compensate the difference it exists from base.

Abraços!

Rogério
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Yeah but the LP640 is a bit borked at the moment so we'll have to wait until the patch (which should have been applied before they released this bug ridden game) gets released in the next week or so.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@Rogério: If I haven't driven the Zonda R and the Works Converted Z06, I would say you're right. But those cars were my favourite for quite some time, then I changed to the LP640 and boy, I was able to get better lap times in all tracks I played, including Nordschleife. After racing the entire "Works Restricted Competition" in Tier 4 with the LP640, I raced with the Zonda R in the "Supercars Restricted Competition" and my lap times were worse. And I felt the Zonda R slower than the Lamborghini, specially at the start. Just to give you an idea of how fast this car goes, in Autopolis GP I can reach 2nd and even 1st place just on the first straight, from a standing start (12th place I think). That's something the Zonda R and the Z06 don't do. :)

On the first corner of that track I can already be in 1st place and if I avoid the crazy AI (they usually hit me and send me to the grass -.-) it's total domination through the entire race.

As for the track records, well Nordschleife is a really long track, so it's hard to get consistent times. You must drive perfectly on all corners, so I don't trust too much on records there. With the LP640 I got my best, but I'm still not that good in Nordschleife, mainly because in some corners I'm still afraid to go really fast and ruin the races, so I end up losing some time. And on the run I did for the review, it wasn't a perfect race, far from it. I went too slowly on the second half of the track (after the Karoussel) and just before the main straight I hit the wall, so I lost some speed. Probably I lost about 8 to 10 seconds because of that and because of slowing too much on some corners after the Karoussel.

IMO a good track to test cars is Laguna Seca or Brands Hatch GP. They're easy tracks where you can get consistent times with 10 laps, for example. However, I'm not too good when it comes to set new records lol. I'm somewhat "inconsistent" and I don't always follow the same racing line during all 10 laps, for example. Some laps are much better than others, I can get a difference of 5/6 seconds from one lap to another... how to explain that? :P

And it's also very important to know if the record is from a standing start or a rolling start. In Nordschleife I only race for one lap, so it's a standing start. In Brands Hatch GP, for example, all the laps after the 1st one will be better, because you can cross the "start/finish" line with a lot more speed, and that shaves a lot of seconds from your lap times.

So far I find the LP640 the best car in the game. I haven't looked at the stats, but I don't trust them too much afterwards. As you can see, the game says the LP640 can only reach 287 km/h, yet I've reached 312. So other stats might also be wrong. Btw, I thought we were "dealing" with stock cars, right? These reviews are meant to tune a car fully (stage 3 or Works) and test it. No tuning at all... so if you can get more power out of the Zonda R with some additional tuning, then it might be better than the LP640. But you can also get more power out of the Lambo with additional tuning... so it's better to review the cars without that additional tuning. It makes things fair IMO. :)

Parece que há alguns tugas por aqui. :D
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Audi TT Coupé 3.2 quattro

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Tier: 1
Price: $45,000
Nitrous: Yes

Specifications

Rating: 12.20
Weight: 1287 KG
Power: 502 HP
Torque: 653 Nm
Top Speed: 295 kmh
0-100: 2.38 sec
0-160: 5.89 sec
100-0: 4.00 sec

Testing

Track(s): Nordschleife
ASM: Off
Control: Pad
Best: 7:29

Review

Verdict: Meh

Summary: Quick, but let down by suspension issues and monstrous understeer.

Review: I won't mince words, in Works tune the Audi TT is a very quick car. For Tier 1 it's way more than I expected, and a look over the leaderboards confirm it to be the fastest Tier 1 Car by a long way. That said, I couldn't wait to get out of it and return it to my garage. Or actually I think I'll just sell it outright.

See, with a Works conversion, the TT is an outright handful. Two major problems; first, at speed the car is prone to twist about laterally on its springs in a motion that quickly becomes very difficult to manage. Second, the car suffers from massive understeer under acceleration. This is so bad that you literally have to coast right around most turns until you reach a point where you can safely accelerate in a straight line. Hit the gas too soon, and the tower of power under your virtual right boot will pull you off the track in an instant.

Of course, both of these problems can probably be fixed or tempered with some tuning tweaks (for my money, suspension, ride height and diff), but that's gonna have to happen at some other time. There's plenty of other really great cars in the game that I'd prefer to drive.
tt1.jpeg
tt2.jpeg
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

McLaren F1

Post by Overreactman »

Tier: 4
Price: $850,000
Works: No

Specifications

Tune: Stock
Rating: 15.50
Weight: 2513 lbs
Power: 627 HP
Torque: 480 lbs/ft
Top Speed reached: 230.0
0-60: 3.1
0-100: 6.2
60-0: 2.7

Testing

Best: 7:29.230

Review

Summary: This car is very fast and can hug a corner like spandex pants if tuned right.

Review: Since purchasing the McLaren F1 I have been able to rip through the remainder of the races and dominated the NFS championship series. This car is simply wonderful and a real blast to drive. The first thing to notice is something more cosmetic than anything. This car, put simply, sounds angry and backs it up. I am in love with the engine roar as you rocket down a straight or tear through a hairpin turn.

And speaking of the turns, this is an area that the McLaren actually shines even with it being a RWD car. Yes, there is oversteer on this car and it can become most evident on a track with a lot of raised alligator teeth on the corners. The tires will slide and kick at times, and the low ride height will cause you to lose it on those turns if a tire catches the teeth. That is the downside. The upside is that the low ride height and spaced tires hug the road, and with a modified camber the car will stick each and every turn.

If you do make a mistake on a turn the acceleration of the car and overall speed of the car will more than make up for it. In several races I have made a mistake here and there that cost me a spot (or 8) and the McLaren has pulled me through in each of those races, vaulting me back into the top three in a couple of laps (and in some cases just one lap). This is because the car is able to maintain a higher speed through the turns and exit at a significant speed as well.

Overall this is easily my favorite car in the game, and in the supercar tier (tier 4). Sure, the Lamborghini Reventon is a very nice car that also hugs the turns, but its acceleration is slow by comparison. The Zonda and Bughatti are ridiculous fast but the Zonda’s brakes work to well and the Bughatti handles like a wet brick. Overall the McLaren F1 is the car to have in the tier 4 section as I see it.

Last edited by Overreactman on 09 Oct 2009, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Great review! You conviced me to give the McLaren another try.
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Great review! You conviced me to give the McLaren another try.
Thank you very much. I adore that car well above and beyond the others in my garage. Easily the most fun car I have had the pleasure of driving in Shift.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

McLaren is RWD, not AWD.
'01 Triumph TT600- Race spec everything
'94 Audi S2 Quattro- Road legal track project
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Overreactman »

steelsnake00 wrote:McLaren is RWD, not AWD.
Thats what I get for cutting and pasting a previous review (for the template). Thanks for the catch.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Oh yeah about that, there's a template in the second post of the thread to quote when you make your next review - it has all the formatting etc.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro

Post by Hydro_PT »

Price: $135,000
Works: No

Specifications

Tune: STAGE 3 + AERO + RACE
Rating: 13.20
Weight: 1404 KG
Power: 549 HP
Torque: 560 Nm
Top Speed: 341 kmh
0-100: 3.25 sec
0-160: 6.36 sec
100-0: 3.04 sec

Testing

Tracks: Nordschleife / Donington National
Laps: 1 and 5
Best: 7:11:050 / 1:06:960

Review

Verdict: Meh

Summary: Don't expect much from it.

Review: I confess that the Audi R8 has let me down in SHIFT. I was expecting a more powerful car, with higher acceleration and top speed. Unfortunately, even tuned to the maximum, the R8 doesn't deliver that good. To start with, the car tends to oversteer in an unpredictable way, even being AWD. It just starts sliding the back end out when you least expect it, so you need to take corners slower than "usual" for a car like this. I don't really understand why this oversteering, the car isn't RWD after all.

Anyway, after you "master" this behaviour, the acceleration and top speed of the R8 aren't really good. It takes off fast with the first 3/4 gears but then it loses all power and the car feels like a snail, taking a lot of time to reach the "great" top speed of 290 km/h. Not to mention that when it reaches its top speed, the car jumps like a nervous kangaroo. My experience at Nordschleife's straight was too shaky for me. However, the R8 seems very stable at lower speeds, kinda "absorbing" most bumps. Weird IMO, but OK.

So to conclude, the Audi R8 wasn't everything I was expecting. A good thing about it is that even though it isn't among the best Tier 3 cars, it's cheap and it doesn't cost you lots of money to upgrade it, so if you're in need of a Tier 3 car but don't have much money, the R8 can save you on a few championships until you are ready to buy the LP640 or the Z06.

ImageImage
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (C10)

Post by Hydro_PT »

Tier: 1
Price: $18,000

Specifications

Rating: 8.00
Weight: 990 KG
Power: 304 HP
Torque: 336 Nm
Top Speed: 237 kmh
0-100: 3.92 sec
0-160: 8.13 sec
100-0: 3.34 sec

Testing

Best: 8:07:360 / 1:15:940

Review

Summary: Funny little car.

Review: You might be deceived by the look of this car. It's the oldest car featured in SHIFT (production of the 2000GT-R began in 1969), and it has the lowest rating of all cars (the 240SX stands next to it). Still, it's an impressive machine IMO, if you tune it correctly.

To start with, it's extremely cheap and can be bought right when you start your career. There are better cars around, true, but this Skyline can battle the best ones in Tier 1 races. It has a nice acceleration and even though it tends to oversteer (it's a RWD car after all), it's easy controllable. It only has 5 gears but a 6th gear wouldn't hurt, because the car reaches its top speed of 210 km/h quickly, and you're left with a noisy engine going at full power. Some additional tuning can certainly improve this, although I haven't tried to change any setting.

Overall the Skyline 2000GT-R is a nice car. Old yes, but still ready for the curves, if you know what I mean. On the right hands it performs very well compared to other modern Tier 1 cars. If you're looking for old cars in SHIFT, this is probably the only one that will make you really happy. It's nice, it sounds amazingly good and it drives well. What else could you ask for? I love it! =D>

ImageImage
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

BMW M3 E46

Post by Hydro_PT »

Tier: 2
Price: $58,000
Drift: Yes

Specifications

Rating: 13.50
Weight: 1513 KG
Power: 701 HP
Torque: 723 Nm
Top Speed: 274 kmh
0-100: 2.71 sec
0-160: 6.44 sec
100-0: 2.87 sec

Testing

Best: 7:28:500 / 1:09:510

Review

Summary: One of the best Tier 2 cars.

Review: The BMW M3 E46 is a true race car: it has the look and also the power. It's among the best Tier 2 cars, and overall it handles pretty well. With a top speed of 300 km/h and a nice acceleration, it doesn't take much to beat the competition. It tends to oversteer a bit but nothing you can't control. The only real problem with the E46 is its tendency to spin out of control if it goes to the dirt or grass. One wheel out of the tarmac for a second is enough to make it go wild. Be aware that this car is also very "jumpy" and it tends to take off the ground on some bumps. This is especially dangerous in Nordschleife, due to some corners having a bump just before them. No brakes in the air! :mrgreen:

If you're looking for a good Tier 2 car, this might a good choice. It's a good car overall and fun to drive.

ImageImage
Argentum47
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Argentum47 »

@ Overreactman: Nice review!
Overreactman
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Ford Shelby GT500

Post by Overreactman »

Tier: 2
Price: $90,000
Drift: Yes

Specifications

Tune: Works
Rating: 11.30
Weight: 3532 lbs
Power: 857 HP / 540.0 BHP
Torque: 784.54 lbs/ft
Top Speed reached: 160.0
0-60: 3.9
0-100: 10.7
60-0: 3.3

Testing

Best: 7:36.274

Review

Verdict: Entertaining but not great

Summary: Looks mean, sounds angry, drives like a slug on ice.

Review: Ah, the mustang. As an American I love muscle cars, especially the Mustang and in that crowd the Shelby Cobra 500 is the cream of the crop. In the real world this throaty American muscle car is amazing to see and hear as it is as brash and in your face as much of our own population. In Shift, however, we have ourselves a different story.

A common problem in the Mustangs design is the rear axle. You see the developers over at Ford keep thinking that the live rear axle is a good idea for a RWD car with a lot of power but it is not. As a result the Mustang has a tendency for Oversteer and even some wheel spin on the straights. This makes the vehicle slower into and out of the turns and in most races that is where positions are won and lost. If you can keep away from the alligator teeth, grass, and pebbles then you will be able to recover nicely. If not then you are in for a rather tense ride.

There is a lot of power in the car so once you are done powering through the mistakes you can open up the throttle nicely on the straights. This turns out to be both exciting and dissapointing, however, as there is a low top speed (during the race the HUD pegged at 160mph, though the NFS Shift data said 174mph). You would think that with all the power the car has under the hood it would be able to push out speeds closer to 200mph after it has been fully worked over. This may be a draw back to the works conversion but since I did not drive the car in any of the other stages of modification I am not sure about that.

Then there is the visual and auditory side of the Mustang. The body style of the Mustang is nice, even in the gaudy nature of the Works conversion, and the engine is a wonderful thing to listen too (if you like guttural engines like I do). This is an area where the car makes up for so many of the short commings as it is a blast to drive simply to fill your ears with the sound of the engine and supercharger escorting you down the track. But this is just not enough even for me and in the end I must label this is a weekend car. When you grow tired of driving around in the BMW’s and Mercedes and you want to try something that will raise you blood pressure and keep life exciting… in that not so good kind of way. For a fan of the muscle car world and Mustangs this was a disappointing car for me.

Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 11 Oct 2009, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Set car name in post title
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

I completely disagree with you R8 review. It might not be the fastest car in it's tier, but it's by far the easiest to manage- controllable oversteer, very neutral handling and fantastic brakes.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

the review about Mclaren F1 convinced me to buy one LOL
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

steelsnake00 wrote:I completely disagree with you R8 review. It might not be the fastest car in it's tier, but it's by far the easiest to manage- controllable oversteer, very neutral handling and fantastic brakes.
We cannot have the same opinion. :D

Anyway, I'm not sure if you raced with other Tier 3 cars. The R8 is an average car IMO. The weird oversteering that comes from nowhere, the low top speed and bad acceleration after the 4th gear make it a "meh" car. It has nice brakes, true, but that's not much when the it can only reach 290 km/h... and the easiest to manage? Ever raced with one of the Porsches, the DB9 or the LP640?

I was expecting more from it tbh. There are better cars in Tier 3, the R8 is only good if you don't have much money but want to compete on Tier 3 events. It looks nice and I love the car, but its performance is a bit crappy. The R8 LMS is much better.
steelsnake00
Professional
Professional

Post by steelsnake00 »

The GT3 RS is much more tail-happy than the R8, far more prone to snap oversteer and to be honest slower. The LP640 is madness, fantastically fast but a properly wild ride, especially if your using a keyboard. The R8's oversteer is pretty accurate IMHO, seen as the real car can't direct more than 30% of it's power to it's front wheels and is mid-engined.
titon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by titon »

Sorry for noob question, but could someone explain to me what the symbols ABS, TCS and ASM mean? I guess ABS = Anti-Lock Breaks, TCS = Traction Control System, but ASM I don´t have any idea! :lol:

Sorry for poor english!

Cheers..

Return to “SHIFT”