NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Welcome to NFSUnlimited's SHIFT Car Reviews

This topic is intended to build up a decent set of user reviews and car stats for the cars of Need for Speed SHIFT. Ideally, we'd like to cover every car at least once, but if someone's already reviewed your fav, don't let that stop you from submitting your own review.

The general structure for your review should first provide reference data for the car, followed by a description of the testing you performed and then your opinion of the car and what it's best (and worst) qualities are.

As far as testing goes, most likely people will want to know how well the car performs at it's maximum level of tune. However bear in mind that the online mode allows you to choose from several maximum car rating levels, so it might be useful to find some cars that work best at those tune levels. Choose a test track that suits the car and provides a good variety of conditions to put the car thoroughly through it's paces. A great track for testing, in my opinion, is Nordschleife since it offers a huge variety of driving conditions.

As reviews are added, we'll be building a comprehensive car reference guide that will be quite valuable when you need to choose your next car.

Check the next post for a review template that you can quote or copy when making your own review. Have fun testing!

Reviews Available

Audi R8 4.2 FSI quattro by Hydro_PT
Audi RS4 by GT3x24x7
Audi TT Coupé 3.2 quattro by GT3x24x7
BMW M3 E36 by Hydro_PT
BMW M3 E46 by Hydro_PT
Chevrolet Camaro SS by Cpt.Razkit
Chevrolet Corvette Z06 by Cpt.Razkit
Dodge Challenger Concept by GT3x24x7
Ford Shelby GT500 by Overreactman
Lamborghini Murciélago LP640 by Hydro_PT
Lotus Elise 111R by Bojan
McLaren F1 by Overreactman
Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG by AERO_HDT
Mitsubishi Lancer Evo by Bojan
Nissan Skyline 2000GT-R (C10) by Hydro_PT
Subaru Impreza WRX STi by Bojan

Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 25 Oct 2009, 13:44, edited 27 times in total.
Reason: Added Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG by AERO_HDT to TOC
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

PUT THE FULL CAR NAME HERE

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Tier: 1/2/3
Drive: AWD/FWD/RWD
Price: $xx,xxx
Nitrous: Yes/No
Works: Yes/No
Drift: Yes/No

Specifications

Tune: STOCK/STAGE 1/STAGE 2/STAGE 3/AERO/RACE/WORKS
Rating: xx.xx
Weight: xxxx KG
Power: xxx HP
Torque: xxx Nm
Top Speed: xxx kmh/mph
0-100: x.xx sec
0-160: x.xx sec
100-0: x.xx sec

Testing

Mode: Race/Drift/Time Attack
Track(s): Track name(s)
Laps: No of laps
ABS: On/Off
TCS: Low/High/Off
ASM: On/Off
Control: Keys/Pad/Wheel
Best: Best lap time(s)

Review

Verdict: Win/Fail/Meh

Summary: Type a 5-10 word summary of the car here..

Review: Type your full review here..
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 03 Oct 2009, 04:10, edited 5 times in total.
Reason: Added ABS/TCS/ASM
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

AUDI RS4

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Tier: 2
Drive: AWD
Price: $70,000
Nitrous: Yes
Works: No
Drift: No

Specifications

Tune: MAX (Stage3+Aero+Race)
Rating: 14.00
Weight: 1485 KG
Power: 780 HP
Torque: 795 Nm
Top Speed: 345 kmh
0-100: 2.66 sec
0-160: 5.35 sec
100-0: 3.27 sec

Testing

Mode: Race
Track(s): Nordschleife
Laps: 1
Control: Pad
Best: 7:30

Review

Verdict: Win

Summary: Great car! Very stable and fast.

Review: The RS4 surprised me to be honest. I wasn't expecting much from it, but right from launch the car performed flawlessly, going just where it was pointed, thanks no doubt to the AWD and some fairly hefty weight. It was never in trouble around Nordschleife and turned in a very decent time. It lacks a works conversion, but with a final Race tune rating of 14, it's definitely up there. Highly recommended!
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 03 Oct 2009, 09:05, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Updated to new specs layout
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

Post by Hydro_PT »

Hey GT3x24x7, I just wanted to say this seems like a great thing. I'll start reviewing some cars in the weekend, but I have a few suggestions for you:

1st: You should keep an up-to-date list of what cars were already reviewed and by who. This would help someone who comes here looking for a certain car but doesn't want to read all posts to find. A good list in the first post of this thread would certainly be useful.

2nd: The specifications section... is it really necessary to have all those values? I mean, when someone buys a car in SHIFT, they will certainly tune it to the maximum (Stage 3, Aero and Race). Dunno about the Works Conversion, I usually don't convert most cars because they look ugly. Yeah I know their performance increases, but not by much in certain cases, and I prefer to have a nice looking car. And another thing, in the "Aero" section you have sometimes 3 bodykits, and they all offer different performance, however some look better than others. Me, for example, I usually don't buy the 3rd bodykit, as I find it too ugly, so I just stick with the 1st or 2nd. So I think that we should only have the "Stock", "Stage 3, Aero (without bodykit) and Race" and finally the "Works" specifications. To make things clearer, something like this:

Stock -
Stage 3, Aero (no bodykit), Race -
Works -

What do you think?
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Yep, a 'table of contents' list in the first post would be good, though it has the drawback of needing to be updated regularly. Let's get a few reviews up and see how it goes.

I know, the 'wall o' specs' table is a bit useless. Your idea of just summarising the setup used on the car during testing is better. Tell ya what, get a review or two up in a format you'd like and we'll adjust the template etc to suit.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

for works, a few look quite great!
Corvette Z06 for example, isn't TOO much different from its own body kit, differences are that added front splitter, removed window glass and put in a net like in nascar... and a bigger wing... lower in general

or M3 *E46*'s Works is awesome

but most works are ugly...

and for testing in Nurburgring, I think it's a little TOO long to have consistent results
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Yeah I know that some cars look great when Works Converted. The Z06 and the M3 E46 are gorgeous IMO, and their performance is great. The Z06 becomes the second best rated car in the whole game after it's converted (20.0), just behind the Pagani Zonda R (20.5). It's a beast. :D

Nordschleife is good for testing because it offers lots of corners, uphill and downhill sections and a great straight for top speed. It's a bit long so yes, the results won't be very consistent. But you can always test the car in a smaller track like Donington GP or SPA. Every car that I review will be tested in "The Ring" and in SPA, they're my favourite tracks.

GT3x24x7: Ok I will review some cars today and post the information as I think is better. I'll have a go at the BMWs because I haven't tried any yet (except the E46).
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Chevy must be paying EA a lot of money for that!!!
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

BMW M3 E36

Post by Hydro_PT »

BMW M3 E36

Drive: RWD
Price: $50,000
Works: Yes
Drift: Yes

Specifications

Tune: STOCK
Rating - 4.10
Weight - 1460 KG
Power - 282 HP
Torque - 305
Top Speed - 249 km/h
0-100 - 6.1
0-160 - 14.82
100-0 - 3.47

Tune: STAGE 3 + AERO + RACE (no bodykit)
Rating - 9.58
Weight - 1314 KG
Power - 536 HP
Torque - 586
Top Speed - 255 km/h
0-100 - 3.71
0-160 - 9.20
100-0 - 3.10

Tune: WORKS
Rating - 10.30
Weight - 1314 KG
Power - 565 HP
Torque - 618
Top Speed - 244 km/h
0-100 - 3.46
0-160 - 9.35
100-0 - 3.17

Testing

Tracks: Nordschleife and Spa-Francorchamps
Laps: 1
Tune: Works
Control: Wheel
Best: 7:59:410 and 2:38:420

Review

Summary: Nice acceleration but low top speed.

Review: This BMW performed well. I wasn't expecting much from it, and even after the Works conversion, it wasn't a car that blew me away. It has a good acceleration and can reach its top speed very quickly, but it only goes as fast as 239 km/h, while the speedometer indicates a top speed of 280. It curves well, but it tends to slide on the corners due to being RWD. Overall it's a nice car, but if you're planning to buy a good Tier 2 car, I wouldn't choose the E36.

Well I don't think the organization of the specifications is the best, but I think it will do for now.
Last edited by GT3x24x7 on 02 Oct 2009, 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed post title
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Hmm why not just put everything together and state the final tune, which is Works, and the stats the car had during testing, like:

Rating - 10.30
Weight - 1314 KG
Power - 565 HP
Torque - 618
Top Speed - 244 km/h
0-100 - 3.46
0-160 - 9.35
100-0 - 3.17

As far as the review itself goes, nicely done! Of course you can fix that top speed (at the expense of some acceleration) by adjusting the gearing - probably the easiest way is in Quick Tune, or by changing the Final Drive in Advanced Tuning.

BTW my edit was just to set the actual title of the post to the car name - you had the title from the template post ("REVIEW TEMPLATE - QUOTE THIS AND FILL IN THE BLANKS") in there still :)

Thanks for contributing - looking forward to more from you!
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

More than making Nords the reference track, I would recommend everybody to test their cars on their favourite track(s). Make sure it's a track you know like the inside of your pocket, so the track does not surprise you, but the car does. That is the only objective way to compare laptimes and actual performance. If you drive on a track you don't know (most people will get surprised by Nords at one point or another) you are more likely to either crash or drive more cautiously than you would on a track you know inside out. So yeah.. know your tracks, people.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

True enough. If you're not completely familiar with your chosen track however, make sure you drive enough laps to start getting consistent times at least.

Ok I updated the template specs section and also added the table of contents to the main post.. we're in business. Next up, something special from our fearless leader. ;)
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Subaru Impreza WRX (Works)

Post by Bojan »

Price: $610,000 ($65,000)
Nitrous: No

Specifications

Rating: 12.70
Weight: 1368 KG
Power: 509 HP
Torque: 701 Nm
Top Speed: 292 km/h
0-100: 2.62 sec
0-160: 6.44 sec
100-0: 3.89 sec

Testing
ABS: ON, TCS: OFF, ASM: OFF
Track: Alpental
Laps: 10
Best: 43:290

Review

Summary: A rather fast AWD car with particulary easy handling.

Review: The Impreza will understeer but fortunately it has good grip meaning the corner speeds will be pretty high. Powerslides are possible but very controllable. I had problems getting consistent lap time mostly because of understeer and the fact that you have hit the corner early and at a correct speed with very little room for mistakes.
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

@GT3x24x7: Yeah, that's the best thing to do when it comes to specifications. It's not helpful to have a big table full of values, as most people will check them ingame when buying the parts. Works stats or Stage 3 + Aero + Race (no boydkit) stats if the car doesn't feature Works seems enough.

Yep I think the top speed could be improved with some additional tuning, but I didn't want to mess with that, because I just bought and tested the car for this review. I might buy it later on but I won't convert it to Works, because it looks so ugly I want to puke everytime I see the bodykit. Really, it's bad. :P

Sorry for the tittle of the post. I only realised that after I posted. Any way to fix it?

@Summ: Of course that's important, and you did well pointing that out. I already know all tracks in the game by heart now, including Nordschleife. Most of them I already knew from previous games, so that's why I choose those two. Of course that I only perform 1 lap on each, so the times aren't accurate, it's more like a reference. More than 1 lap at Nordschleife is a bit too much... I don't have that much free time. :P

I'll try to review some more BMWs.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Hydro_PT wrote:@GT3x24x7: Yeah, that's the best thing to do when it comes to specifications. It's not helpful to have a big table full of values, as most people will check them ingame when buying the parts. Works stats or Stage 3 + Aero + Race (no boydkit) stats if the car doesn't feature Works seems enough.
Cool.
Hydro_PT wrote:Yep I think the top speed could be improved with some additional tuning, but I didn't want to mess with that, because I just bought and tested the car for this review. I might buy it later on but I won't convert it to Works, because it looks so ugly I want to puke everytime I see the bodykit. Really, it's bad. :P
lol, get over it! Looks are irrelevant.
Hydro_PT wrote:Sorry for the tittle of the post. I only realised that after I posted. Any way to fix it?
I fixed it already, but yes, just edit the post and you can change the post subject just near the top of the screen.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Mitsubishi Lancer Evo (Works)

Post by Bojan »

Price: $600,000 ($55,000)

Specifications

Rating: 12.30
Weight: 1370 KG
Power: 503 HP
Torque: 660 Nm
Top Speed: 300 km/h
0-100: 2.70 sec
0-160: 6.09 sec
100-0: 4.22 sec

Testing
Best: 44:483

Review:

Verdict: Meh

Summary: Very easy to drive but not so fast overall.

Review: Car is very easy to drive because of the fact that it oversteers when you're off the gas meaning you can easily adjust direction in tight corners. After you start accelerating it turns into understeer meaning it often doesn't go the way you're facing. If you want a good AWD car in tier 2, go with the Impreza. Choose the Evo if you want a car where you can correct mistakes easily.
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

GT3x24x7 wrote: lol, get over it! Looks are irrelevant.
Not for me lol. If I can have a nice looking car that performs very well (Zonda R, Z06, Murciélago and so on), then it's all good. If I can have a car that performs very well but looks horrible (E36, Skyline R34, etc), I prefer to have less performance but a nicer look. After all, in the end it all comes to the driver and let's be honest, the normal bodykits don't offer almost any improvement in performance, sometimes they even decrease some values. The Works bodykit are good in performance, but it's not a huge difference.
GT3x24x7 wrote:I fixed it already, but yes, just edit the post and you can change the post subject just near the top of the screen.
Thanks for fixing it. I never noticed I could insert a title in the post lol. #-o :mrgreen:

Nice reviews Bojan. I just didn't understand two things:

Price: $600,000 ($55,000)
Nitrous: Yes/No

Mind to explain? :P
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ah, I can help - the 55k is the buy price, the 600k is the sell price. This pretty much tells you how much it cost to buy and build the car up.

Can't help you on the nitrous tho :P
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Lotus Elise 111R (Works)

Post by Bojan »

Price: $605,000 ($60,000)

Specifications

Rating: 17.50
Weight: 792 KG
Power: 357 HP
Torque: 348 Nm
Top Speed: 249 km/h
0-100: 2.65 sec
0-160: 6.64 sec
100-0: 2.51 sec

Testing
Best: 40:589

Review:

Summary: Fastest car in Tier 2 and surprisingly easy to control

Review: Extreme power to weight ratio, short wheelspan and mid engine makes it an insane little car. Extreme acceleration and surprisingly good control even when accelerating in corners. Car will powerslide a lot, but you will easily remain in control. After corners you have to straighten it fast though otherwise you lose lots of acceleration in the rear wheel spin.
image2.jpg
image1.jpg
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Ah, I can help - the 55k is the buy price, the 600k is the sell price. This pretty much tells you how much it cost to buy and build the car up.

Can't help you on the nitrous tho :P
Ah sorry, nitrous is a No for all. I'm reviewing the works version so the price is the cost for the car + all upgrades (=the selling value of car). The value in brackets is the price of the stock car.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Ah I got it. Nice idea to see how much you will need to spend. Money is not a problem for me though, I have about 8 million and I'm always buying more and more cars. I wish I had unlimited space in the garage...

Btw Bojan... fastest car in Tier 2? You ever tried the M3 E46 Works Converted? I'm sure it beats the Lotus top speed of 249 km/h... :D
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

Ah, by fastest I meant the time at Alpental :)
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Wow, looking good with pics n' everthang! :D
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

DODGE CHALLENGER CONCEPT

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Price: $52,000
Works: No

Specifications

Tune: MAX (Stage3+Aero+Race)
Rating: 9.20
Weight: 1,575 KG
Power: 701 HP
Torque: 971 Nm
Top Speed: 297 kmh
0-100: 3.17 sec
0-160: 6.86 sec
100-0: 3.01 sec

Testing

Track(s): Nordschleife, Laguna Seca
Laps: Nord 1, Laguna 10
Tune: Race
ABS: On
TCM: Low
ASM: Off
Best: Nord 7:37, Laguna 1:32

Review

Summary: Not overly powerful, not a great handler, easily unsettled.

Review: Right off the bat you know what to expect with American RWD - traction problems. That's what I got too, great fat slabs of 'em. Once upgraded fully to Race spec, the Challenger still isn't particularly well proportioned; with a rating under 10. There's a fair amount of power, but it's a big heavy car and that works against you at every turn. I started my testing with only ABS turned on, but it was clear from the first blat through Nordschliefe's 'Hatzenbach' complex that some amount of traction control was in order. That lap was awful, but after adding low TCS, the car became quite accessible and I started turning some decent times.

The Challenger handles pretty much as you might expect. With all that weight, you need to brake early, and brake often. Even with TCS on, you'll still be dealing with oversteer on the exits, so a careful throttle is needed. That's all fine until it gets a sniff of a kerb, or even a surface change. The car is quickly unsettled by any difference in surface traction, especially under hard acceleration; get too friendly with the kerb leaving a bend and you're likely to find youself off-roading. In reverse.

Laguna Seca was the next venue. I thought I'd go somewhere a little smoother and more predictable. After a few messy warm-up laps, I ran a few messy *actual* laps, and then about one good one. Then I crashed a lot more. Ok I might be over-dramatising, but I did have some trouble. The problem with Laguna was more of the same. Despite the smoother road surface, there's ample oppurtunity to put a wheel on the kerb going in, or to sniff the gravel coming out. The car is a magnet for such things, and I often found myself leaning on the brake until the damn thing would come to a sliding, lumbering halt in the pebbles just so I could reset back to the track.

All that said, the car's not bad. It's a Challenge.

See what I did there?
image1.jpg
image2.jpg
Cpt.Razkit
Professional
Professional

Chevrolet Camaro SS

Post by Cpt.Razkit »

Price: $85,000

Specifications

Rating: 14.00
Weight: 3983 lbs
Power: 750 HP
Torque: 729.60 lbs
Top Speed: 159 mph
0-100: 3.21 sec
0-160: N/A
100-0: 3.11 sec

Testing

ABS: On
TCM: Low
ASM: Off
Control: Xbox 360 Controller
Best: 42.214

Review

Summary: Has some kick to it, hard to master in turns.

Review: My experience was pretty much the same as to what GT experienced with the Challenger Concept. This car is very fun to drive because of the weight you are able to throw around corners. Being early on braking is the key of making good track times. The Camaro has alot of oversteer coming out of corners. Learn how this car handles early on so you don't make mistakes like driving off into the dirt. Overall, its a fun car to drive.

Return to “SHIFT”