NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Re: NFS SHIFT Car Reviews

Post by ElvenAvenger »

TCS-Traction Control System(i believe...)
ABS-dont really know...i mean...it prevents ur wheels from locking when braking so you can steer while braking...
ASM is stability control...im almost sure.
titon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by titon »

ElvenAvenger wrote:TCS-Traction Control System(i believe...)
ABS-dont really know...i mean...it prevents ur wheels from locking when braking so you can steer while braking...
ASM is stability control...im almost sure.
Thanks for answer ElvenAvenger, anybody confirme this?

Cheers.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traction_control_system
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-lock_braking_system
Didn't have anything on ASM, other than some kind of emission control.. doubt it could be that
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

ASM = Active Stability Management. It's a borrowed term from the Gran Turismo series. It senses traction loss and selectively brakes each wheel as required to keep the car under control.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

GT3x24x7 wrote:ASM = Active Stability System. It's a borrowed term from the Gran Turismo series. It senses traction loss and selectively brakes each wheel as required to keep the car under control.
hmmm....think gonna turn it off...traction control is slowing me enough already
titon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by titon »

Thanks for advice brothers!

How should I set these options?

Cheers!
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

What controller do you use? And how skilled are you?
titon
Ricer
Ricer

Post by titon »

Thanks for help summ! I use XBox 360 controller for windows, medium skill.

Cheers!
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Try your hand with the default experienced settings. See if it's something you can work with =).

Good luck.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Right, now let's get back to the topic please.
AERO_HDT
Ricer
Ricer

Post by AERO_HDT »

ASM is not a term that's borrowed from Gran Turismo. Gran Turismo first featured this acronym in GT3 when it was released in 2000 and was an term commonly used in motoring circles, especially in the high end luxury market where MB and BMW featured stability control systems on their S-class and 7-series cars as a popular choice.

But anyway, I digress, it's a bit off topic and rather moot and insignificant, LOL. Back to reading some great reviews! It's refreshing to hear people's serious takes on cars!
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

is anyone making a review of Mazda RX-7?
if not then ill try and get one done.
AERO_HDT
Ricer
Ricer

Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG

Post by AERO_HDT »

MERCEDES BENZ SL65 AMG

Tier: 3
Drive: RWD
Price: $140,000
Nitrous: No
Works: No
Drift: No

SPECS

Tune: Stock
Rating: 8.50
Weight: 1867 KG
Power: 604BHP
Torque: 1000Nm @2000-4000RPM
Top Speed: 275 kmh
0-100: 3.7sec
0-160: 8.10 sec
100-0: N/A

Testing

Mode: Race
Track(s): Nurburgring
Laps: 1
ABS: On
TCS: Off
ASM: Off
Control: Wheel
Best: 8'10.11 seconds

Summary: Big roadster let down by massive weight.

Review: There's been a great deal said about AMGs in the last 5 years, much of it in derison and perhaps rightly so. When AMG first started off as merely a company that built and supplied racing engines to Mercedes teams in various motorsport events around the world, little would they have envisioned the lofty heights that they would rise to a few decades later. But its that very history that gives us an insight into what the SL65 essentially is.

AMG had been building and selling aftermarket vehicles for many years, an arm of their business that they found very profitable alongside their engineering development and racing expertise. So when Daimler-Benz approached AMG to begin distributing their aftermarket vehicles through the factory's own extensive dealership network, a partnership was formed and the face of the German marque has never quite been the same since. Mercedes have used AMG to build their most powerful road cars ever and when the SL500 was released back at the turn of the century, it gave rise to a new era of uber-muscle that has divided the motoring fraternity.

The SL65 was essentially an SL with a heavily modified Mercedes V12 engine slotted between the front strut towers. The 6.0 litre capacity left untouched and a pair of ceramic turbos were strapped to the exhaust manifold to help boost power to a lurid 614bhp @ 5100RPM and an astonishing 1000Nm of torque from as little as 2-4000RPM. And in a 2-door that nears 1900kg in kerb weight, you need all the help you can get. Thankfully, the sixty five comes with computer-controlled dampers that monitor cornering forces and traction levels and adjust the stiffness of each damper to suit the conditions in a matter of milliseconds. This keeps the AMG beast flat at the best of times and dials out the nosedive you'd expect from a car this big with a 6 litre V12 twinturbo up front. Brakes are also suitably beefy, massive 390mm ventilated items at the pointy end with 330mm discs under the bum and help haul up the car reassuringly time after time, thanks to vice-like 6-piston calipers.

Taking the SL65 for a hard fang around the Green Hell was a daunting task as the Autobahn bruiser was never really developed for circuit work in mind. But from the outset, the muted roar of the V12 engine, heavy steering and rather barge-like handling characteristics let you know that you'll need every ounce of muscle to manhandle your way through 21-odd kilometres of tortuous roadway. The 5-speed box is best left in 2nd gear at startlines as it's the only way you'll achieve a Road&Track replica time of under 4 seconds to the triple digit mark.

I never really expected much from the AMG, other than white-knuckle acceleration and that's exactly what I got. It piles on speed impressively, regardless of revs or gearing and whilst the 5-speeder is about a decade too old for a car of this calibre, you can understand AMG's need for reliability in a machine that has enough torque to put a 747 to shame. You're always acutely aware of how much the tyres are being overworked, even in a straight line, they seem tortuously close to giving up and squirm in protest as the vicious V12 and its turbo lackeys punish them relentlessly.

Rarely, if ever does the SL65 invite you to take a corner flat-out, although the trick suspension seems more than up to the task of flinging you through at breakneck pace, its the tyres that again prove to be the deciding factor. Time and time again you find yourself dabbing the brakes, bleeding off that extra speed and cranking on more steering lock than you'd like. The tyres battle away, trying to contain the voluminous mass of the big roadster and gargantuan lump of V12 inches in front of your toes. They give up quickly, succumbing to understeer as you bleed off yet more speed as as they regain some semblance of adherance by late apex, you ease off the steering and begin to get back on the throttle.

The torque, fed through those 11 inch wide rear tyres are spooled up by the turbos and quickly deliver an earth-wrenching twist that you feel instinctively through the seat of your pants. A quick squeal, a sudden loss of traction and before you know it, you have a face-full of Nurburgring armco staring straight at you with nowhere to go. An experienced driver would already have a hefty amount of opposite lock on by this stage and could drift their way out of the turn with a satisfying grin, but for those lesser-mortals (such as myself), your first instict is to scream like a child, take your hands off the wheel and close your eyes before the inevitable crunch shatters your nose and your ego.

Many journos have criticised AMG's big bad beast for being too much engine and not enough car and that's exactly the impression you get when trying to hustle the SL65 at a respectable rate of knots. Despite all the wizardry, the trick LSD, active damper system and adjustable suspension, the Mercedes roadster defines itself by an unwinnable battle between engine and weight. Over the years, the ironically named "Sport Leicht" SL series cars have become bigger and heavier. To battle the bulge, AMG have packed on the firepower.

And grunt doesn't evidently mean a lot in this instance. Despite the real life car being electronically limited to 155mph (250km/h) the SL65 can barely hit 165mph (275km/h) down the main straight of the Nurburgring. Unfettered, the SL65 should easily be capable of 300km/h plus on such a long stretch of open road.

The SL65 is in all likelihood, going to be as big as it gets for AMG, as they've run up against a brick wall. The SL65 is no fun to drive around the Ring, it's a demanding car that enslaves you as a driver, forcing you to work every inch of tarmac in order to hustle it to the limit. For a standing lap of 8 minutes, 10 seconds, it may very well be an eternity because you're constantly wondering about how much more punishment the tyres can take before they give in and spit you out.

Overall, this car is certainly not for the fainthearted, and definitely not for someone who's looking for an easy run. It's a left-of-centre choice for those who are not thrilled by American muscle cars and want something more brutish than a DB9 or an M3. In this respect, the Merc is in a league of its own and perhaps on a circuit such as Spa or Road America, the twinturbo might shine as you could imagine powering up the long straight after Eu Rouge with an engine like this pulling you along like a steam train. But in essence, you don't shell out 140 big ones for a one-circuit car, you need something more versatile, something with power and handling. Out of the box, the SL65 only offers a half-cooked meal and even then, its not all its cracked up to be.

VERDICT: Meh
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

AERO_HDT wrote:..but for those lesser-mortals (such as myself), your first instict is to scream like a child, take your hands off the wheel and close your eyes before the inevitable crunch shatters your nose and your ego.
:lol:

Awesome review. Best yet. :)
BurningSkyline
Ricer
Ricer

Post by BurningSkyline »

Overreactman wrote:
GT3x24x7 wrote:Great review! You conviced me to give the McLaren another try.
Thank you very much. I adore that car well above and beyond the others in my garage. Easily the most fun car I have had the pleasure of driving in Shift.
How do you have it setup? Whenever I try to tune I always make it terrible, I've gotten no better since underground 2.
rcgldr
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Mercedes Benz SL65 AMG

Post by rcgldr »

AERO_HDT wrote:MERCEDES BENZ SL65 AMG
Yet another filler car for NFS Shift. It's not competitve. Most players can run 6:05 to 6:30 at Nordschliefe in the Zonda R. The LP640 (Lambo Murcielao) is the other competitive car in unrestricted races, mostly used online with high downforce on shorter tracks.

Link to car selection and baseline setup guide, along with a test savegame:

http://rcgldr.net/nfss/nfss.zip
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Maybe some PC players could revive this thread, i bet most of you know about the fact that on nogrip forums you can download Ferrari and Exotic cars DLC-conversions, meaning you can get some new cool cars to review.

I tested the mod already and it works fine, those Ferraris are deafening...10.000 RPM...some 11.000 RPM...

Return to “SHIFT”