Worst corner ever?

2009 Need for Speed SHIFT
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Worst corner ever?

Post by Hydro_PT »

Alright, I don't know how many of you try to master corners in SHIFT, but I love that "challenge", so I ended up mastering all corners in all tracks during normal racing. Now that's nothing special and I'm not posting this to say "yo I'm the man, I mastered all corners". I just want to avoid people getting frustrated about SHIFT. Why?

Well there is one corner in the entire game that is so difficult to master you will probably want to smash the monitor while playing. It's in Nordschleife, the Karoussel part. This corner is so hard to master that the only car capable of doing it seems to be a stock Audi S4. Yep, faster cars or other slower cars won't work. But this one will.

I've wasted a lot of time trying to master this corner with all types of cars, with no success. I had to race so much in Nordschleife that I know that track by heart now (which is a good thing). I levelled up 6 times just trying to master this corner. Since this corner is in the middle of the track, it takes about 4/5 minutes to get there, and if you fail... well I think you guess what happens.

Here's a video of this mighty thing. I'm not the only one having a hard time with it, by all the comments I saw on YouTube and EA Forums, this will soon be crowned the worst corner ever in racing games history. No joke! :mrgreen:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9OmRpLKdRs

@EA and SMS: You guys really made a tricky corner, eh? =D>
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Re: Worst corner ever?

Post by GT3x24x7 »

It's not down to EA or SMS. Nordschleife and the Karussell are real - they just modelled it. Anyway, congrats on the achievement - you da man! :P
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

They modelled the track correctly, but I think they were a bit too perfectionist about this corner in particular lol. I mean, you must follow the line perfectly at a certain speed during the entire corner, which takes about 15 seconds to complete. You go a bit too slow or too fast and you won't master it. Of all the cars I tried (and I tried a lot) only the S4 worked and still it was pretty hard... I had no problems mastering all corners in Nordschleife or any other track by playing normally (cars behind pressing up, no race line, etc). But this one... damn. There's no "it's close". You either do it perfectly or you fail. :D

Mastering all corners isn't nothing special or hard to do. So I'm not the man. I just have a bit too much free time... :P
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

i think they coded the "corner mastery" and the line you're supposed to follow, very hard
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

Ah yep I see what you meant. Well I've been driving this track for years, since GT4 came out and tbh I wasn't surprised by the line they chose. The Karussell really is a horror corner and you do need to stay well inside the banking or you're gonna come to grief.

Not that I'm exactly 'corner hunting', but you know which gives me more trouble tho, at least with the mastery aspect? The last right-hander before the main straight, "Galgenkopf". The trouble is that I believe I have a better and far smoother line through there producing better exit speed and so far I've not managed to mess it up bad enough to master the SMS line. Or is/was it a tough one for you guys too?
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

More than corner mastery, I have some corners I generally hate to take! Karusell is one of them, but I also quite hate the Corkscrew in Laguna Seca and the Eau Rouge in Spa. Corkscrew isn't that difficult. It's the braking points that screw me up in my M3 E92 (stage 3). Mostly I either don't bleed enough speed or I bleed too much and the AI slams me off the track. So far I have found Laguna Seca a nightmare track to win on. Everything up until the Corkscrew goes just fine. Everything after that has a tendency to go horribly wrong. I guess those last few corners are where all the skill is. Same deal with Spa. The rest of the track is fine, but I really haven't found the optimal way of taking that first sweeper and I categorically slide wide, some times into the tire wall. Racing with no hud, no assists and hardest difficulty, btw.

Corner mastery is a nice gimmick, much like the rest of the driver points you can get, but it's not something I pay too much attention to any longer. Sure, it's nice to master the corners - according to the game - but I prefer to focus on the track and the racing in general, rather than the objectives on the side. Congratulations, though! Good job =).
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

GT3x24x7 wrote:Ah yep I see what you meant. Well I've been driving this track for years, since GT4 came out and tbh I wasn't surprised by the line they chose. The Karussell really is a horror corner and you do need to stay well inside the banking or you're gonna come to grief.

Not that I'm exactly 'corner hunting', but you know which gives me more trouble tho, at least with the mastery aspect? The last right-hander before the main straight, "Galgenkopf". The trouble is that I believe I have a better and far smoother line through there producing better exit speed and so far I've not managed to mess it up bad enough to master the SMS line. Or is/was it a tough one for you guys too?
SHIFT was the first game were I drove in "The Ring", but I've seen some videos of cars racing there and the Karussell doesn't seem that bad like in the game. :P

Some lines in some corners aren't exactly the best IMO. I don't race with the race line because I hate that kind of "help". I prefer to find my own line for corners, not a stupid green-yellow-red line telling me how to race. However, I had to turn the race line on a few times, because I couldn't master some corners, even tough I was driving very well. Nordschleife was particularly tough because all corners are connected, so if you miss one, you will probably miss the next one and so on. I mean, the entire track is made of corners lol. If you have trouble mastering one, just turn the race line on and follow it, it should work. Then you feel free to race how you want. :P

@Summ: I love the Corkscrew in Laguna Seca. It's a very challenging corner IMO, and it's a pleasure to drive through it perfectly. SPA is also a great track, but I have a problem in the last corner before the straight (La Source). I either go too slow and I hit the inside wall or I got too fast and end up taking a wider line and losing speed. That corner is a nightmare for me... #-o

Another track I hate is the Horse Thief Mile. I hate very corner of that track. #-o
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

yeah, always these 3, Karussell, Corkscrew and Eau Rouge...

Playing Spa in GRID never had any problems for me, or that is because the WHOLE game handling is wayy too forgiving... but in Shift, I managed to FINALLY master it... and that was the ONLY time... forgot which car I used though, it was the last corner remaining for MANY MANY laps

Nordschleife, I was stuck at 25/37 for a LONG time until I decided to do the 3 lap endurance race with a V8 Vantage, and I ended it with a destroyed car, last place, but also a full level AND 7 extra "corners" mastered ... so only 5 remaining... I'll give RS4 stock a try... Really NO OTHER car can master Karussell with relative ease? not even Evos? Imprezas? *they seem to have quite similar specs*
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well I tried many cars and none worked. Here's some of the cars I tried with: Audi S3, Audi TT, Audi R8, 135i, M3 E36, M3 E46, M3 E92, DB9, V8 Vantage, Skyline GT-R (34), 350Z, Silvia S15, McLaren F1, Zonda R, Honda S2000, Viper SRT-10, Scirocco, Cayman S, Carrera GT, 911 GT3 RSR, 911 GT2, Focus and Ford GT.

Didn't try the Evos and the Impreza tough, but the guy on the video says the S4 is pretty much the only car you can use. Probably other car is able to master that corner... dunno. What I know is that with a stock Audi S4 (not the RS4) I was able to master that corner in the first try.
Skroting
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Skroting »

Summ wrote:Eau Rouge in Spa.
I always ride the curb on the left hand side on the bottom of Eau Rough and try to go in a straight line while braking a little. Then I turn hard right and try to go in a straight line upwards and jump the curb on the left hand side. It's a bit dirty, but it works in the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XRofEfRQg
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

Skroting wrote:
Summ wrote:Eau Rouge in Spa.
I always ride the curb on the left hand side on the bottom of Eau Rough and try to go in a straight line while braking a little. Then I turn hard right and try to go in a straight line upwards and jump the curb on the left hand side. It's a bit dirty, but it works in the game...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58XRofEfRQg
I watched your GRID video after that one and... WOW... how boring is GRID!!! no shakes, smooth track, 300km/h+ all the time...
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

zedex wrote: I watched your GRID video after that one and... WOW... how boring is GRID!!! no shakes, smooth track, 300km/h+ all the time...
Don't judge the game by a single video. GRID is far from being a boring game... in fact, GRID is mostly known as a game that makes you feel like being in a race car. Pure adrenalin. The tracks aren't that smooth, you don't go at 300 km/h all the time and the AI is much more challenging and smart than the one in SHIFT. It's true that things don't shake so much in GRID, but SHIFT isn't perfect on that either. Some shaking is so exaggerated... :mrgreen:
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^Nothing so far comes close to being as immersive as Shift is. The combination of sharp graphics, pumped noise, twitchy car handling, pumped sense of speed and road bumps makes sure that you really have all your senses at the ready - everything else does feel sterile in comparison. This game is much more alive than GRID or, indeed, GT5/Forza and any of the GTR games. Doesn't mean it's a better game altogether, just means that its presentation and track modelling is way better than anything out there atm. It will be interesting to see how the other companies will adapt to copy some of Shift's features.

Skroting - that's more or less the line I try to make in Shift as well, but I haven't been at it long enough to really get the hang of it. If you look at it, Eau Rouge is nothing else but the Hammerhead from the top gear track - just oversized and with the first apex in a valley. The same concepts that upset handling in the Hammerhead apply here. It's meant to be a tough corner =). I believe it just requires a good amount of practice.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I'm not so sure about that Summ. I'm afraid you haven't played GRID enough to understand how immersive that game is. Specially when you talk about a "live" game. GRID has much more "life" than SHIFT. It's true it lacks the sense of speed and the road bumps that are excellent in SHIFT (sometimes a bit exaggerated, but ok :P ). But it compensates where SHIFT fails, for example with a much more smart AI, they don't ram you like nuts, they try to overtake nice and clean and believe me, when you play at the highest difficulty settings, they're really tough to beat. The sound is also very good and while SHIFT focus only in the car's sound (engine above everything), in GRID, depending on the type of car, you can hear other background sounds, like the crowd cheering/"buuing" you, gears, tires, scraped metal when you hit something, etc. Not to forget the "soundtrack". If you ever played the 24 Hours of LeMans in SHIFT, that is the most immersive, challenging and epic event in a racing game I ever experienced. No, I'm not exaggerating. :)

Overall I find GRID more immersive than SHIFT. Not by much though, SHIFT can be a hell of a game most times. I'm "addicted" to it on the last days, I can't stop playing. :mrgreen:
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

If you want to argue which is better, GRID or SHIFT I suggest you do it in the chat below, in a GRID vs SHIFT topic or via pm.
Jackhammer
Ricer
Ricer

Post by Jackhammer »

i think that corner in Laguna Seca is even worse!
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

I'm also starting to hate the first corner of the Donnington circuit - the one in the tier 1 race.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

The Redgate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Donin ... f_2006.svg

That's not a problem for me. I love Donington track, it's so nice to race there. The only corner that offers some challenge is McLean's. Since it's an uphill section, I can't clearly see the corner, so I tend to follow a wider line, to avoid going to the grass if I cut too much.

Lately I've been driving at Nordschleife with different cars, and I don't have problems with any corner, except the Adenauer Forst. For some reason I can't drive a nice line through that "chicane", and I always go too fast in the first corner and too slow on the second one. #-o
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

^No, the Coppice, it appears. I guess the version of Donnington we race in the first tier is an inverse, cut-down version of the full track. The corner comes out of nowhere and is suddenly a lot steeper than anticipated. It catches me out, whenever I've got a bunch of AI on the inside. Given that they drive like maniacs, I seldom see the curve and suddenly I'm in the grass. The times I anticipate it and go by feeling, the AI simply rams into me and throws me off-track, making it a very challenging first corner to take. I must have restarted that race at least 30 times before getting a podium, solely because of that corner. It doesn't help that my car is unresponsive at that corner due to bad fps, but you get the picture.. even with good fps the combination of tricky corner and dumb AI means I plough into the green 9/10 times.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

I think you may be confused Summ; both versions of Donington offered in the game start on Wheatcroft Straight with Redgate as turn 1. The Tier 1 Manufacturer race uses the short course, Donington National, which bypasses The Esses and Melbourne Hairpin. If you do indeed mean Redgate, then I agree it's a tough turn - easy to overcook and difficult to recover. On the other hand I find Coppice quite easy - there's plenty of braking room and the entire turn can be taken at full clip. Myself, I have the most trouble with the Old Hairpin - very easy to run wide there.
Circuit_Doningtonpark.png
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Third race in tier 1, Donnington National. We run on that course in reverse order from what is showed on that map. The first swing is a left-hander. That swing IS Coppice. No confusion there.

The track is quite wide and there is, indeed, plenty of braking room. What screws me over each time is visibility. Something about the camera angle from inside the 135i and the track elevation makes it so that the swing starts out of nowhere and turns in a lot sharper than I expect. It's tricky because it surprises me, not so much because it's a difficult curve in its own. It doesn't help that the AI almost always has the inside lane covered, futher diminishing visibility.

I don't know, I just find myself in the grass 9/10 times, when the AI is involved, partly because they hide the turn and partly because they take it so aggressively that if you brake too early they slam you off the track and if you brake too late you understeer and spear off into a wall.
GT3x24x7
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by GT3x24x7 »

The third race in Tier 1 is at Dakota National, in the Race Coalition group. It is indeed an anti-clockwise course. The Tier 1 race at Donington National is the first fixture of the Manufacturer Competition and runs clockwise into the right-handed Redgate turn.
Summ
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Summ »

Dakota, eh? could've fooled me. The layout of that track, as I remember it, could very well fit the Donnington one in a reduced version. That's what you get from posting at work, I guess =).
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

for me its a corner in BOTH london river tracks(the one after long straight right after first corners of the track with a - in the middle of them) where right before it your car jumps on a kerb, I NEVER can make it right, even if i follow the raceline completely on "green" and quite fast, it never gives me the achievement. tried it with many many cars.
zedex
Drift King
Drift King

Post by zedex »

I read somewhere that if I turn "stability" off... it'll be a LOT easier to master the Karussell... anyone can confirm?

apparently some glitch with it making the master corner not register or something...

THAT is the ONLY corner left to master... *well haven't done the FULL track yet, but it's the same as the 3 parts: Arembourgh, Karussell, and Nurburg*

Return to “SHIFT”