Released in Asia first. Why?

2010 Need for Speed World
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Released in Asia first. Why?

Post by Hydro_PT »

I would like to know why is EA releasing Need For Speed World Online first in Asia and then some months later in Europe and America. :?

I don't understand why they're doing this... are there more NFS players in the Asiatic continent? Is the fan-base bigger there? Is a MMO more welcome in Asia than it is in other continents?

Also, do you think we (that don't live in Asia) will be able to play World Online even though it's not officially released in our continent? I mean, I don't mind having the game in Chinese or something, as long as it is playable... at least I could test the gameplay. :D

And one more thing... will the Asiatic players have a different car list? For example, more Japanese cars and less European / American cars? And the other way around for us? (less Japanese cars, more European / American cars)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Re: Released in Asia first. Why?

Post by Andre_online »

Because EA Singapore is part of this game - and Singapore is Asia. Asia has always been the first to get NFS games, especially Singapore since we have an EA headquarter here. :)

And I don't think EA would be that shallow to release a game all in Chinese. Don't just relate Asians to only Chinese please? There are other ethnic groups as well. I'm assuming - and I'm sure I am right on this - that the game WILL be in English. :)
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I know that EA Singapore is working on the game and yes I know that Singapore is in Asia (I studied a bit of Geography 5 years ago :P).

Even though Asia has always been the first to get NFS games, they don't get them so much time ahead... at this time EA is releasing World Online in the Summer and then only in November (probably) will they release on the other continents. What will they do with those extra months? What will be main differences? And why such a big time lapse between releases? :)

As for the language, I know that Chinese is not the only language in Asia, of course, nor the Chinese people are the only ethnic group. I just think (correct me if I'm wrong) that People's Republic of China is the biggest / most important / most populous country in Asia. So I assume that Chinese is one of the most important languages, if not the most important. :)

Btw, do you think all the other players from around the world will be able to try out WO, even though it's not officially released in their countries?
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

My guess is they're starting in Asia because MMO games have by far the most players in that region. Also a lot of MMOs in that area successfully use the free to play, charge for extras business model.
korge
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by korge »

I think its because they want to beta test it in the region where its developed.
korge
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Bojan wrote:My guess is they're starting in Asia because MMO games have by far the most players in that region. Also a lot of MMOs in that area successfully use the free to play, charge for extras business model.
Sounds reasonable since Asia is the biggest continent by population and territory.

Or they probably have some sort of release plan set up.
Arkansaw
Stock
Stock

Post by Arkansaw »

actually, it has been the same thing with Fifa Online, which is the other MMO under the charge of the Singapore studio.
Asia is largely ridden with piracy issues, particularly China, but online games have been fetching steady profits from clueless teens, even the really crap ones in China
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Free-to-play MMO's are popular in Asia, thus the beta release in Taiwan.
FreelancerMar
Ricer
Ricer

Post by FreelancerMar »

I think Bojan is right on the 'Money' There. The MMO's are free to play, But in order to truely advance you have to spend hundreds of Real money to get anything truely usefull. Thus the so called Stores and shops 'require' currency that is impossable to find and/or acquire during actual gameplay. I Myself got sucked into a game that does that. However it didn't take me long to figure it out and it will never again see another penny of my money. It only cost me $20.00 to figure that 1 out. I have also stopped playing it as well.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

FINALLY A POST IN THE WORLD ONLINE TOPIC!!!

unfortunately it didn't really expand the discussion so more people will post but it did back up the fact that MMO's where you pay money are crap. It could be the case with WO that advertising could cover all costs+revinue but I find that unlikely.
TW1ST3R
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff
Location: Pigfarts Intergalactic School of Witchcraft and Wizardry; Mars

Post by TW1ST3R »

btw if its first release in asia, does that mean australia aswell or do we get the european version like we usually do? that would be cool because i hate having to wait a week or 2 after america to get a release. lol but since i won shift i got it a full week before it came out here :lol:
Kaerar
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Kaerar »

Asia is NTSC so no we won't get it. We'll get the PAL/Euro version instead. Australia is classed same as UK for that.

Return to “World”