Story in WO?!

2010 Need for Speed World
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Story in WO?!

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

"The game will continue the story where Carbon left off."

I just got that from the WO NFSUL wiki. Does this mean that the game will include a storyline of some sort? Preferably I'd prefer no silly story and just racing, discuss. :)
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Story in WO?!

Post by Racemaniac »

Well if its a story, let's hope it will be one which is just us returning to both the cities and that is it. Maybe the return of some old racers such as Razor, etc.
There was that line that Darius (NFS Carbon's final Boss) said which could hint at a story for WO.
Enjoy it while it lasts, there's always someone out there who's a little faster than you are, and sooner or later they're gonna catch up...
Maybe some new boss is lined up?
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

I don't think Razor should be reused... then again, it depends on how they execute it. If it's a corny jailbreak scenario, then no.

I really have no idea what could happen, but yes like Racemaniac said, it probably does involve a new boss.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

But how would the storyline work in an MMO? Will every racer be doing the same plot?
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Maybe its with a usual career mode and the choice to play online. On the main menu you could possibly have two options to play online or in the offline career.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Oh well, if they were going to have a story, that's the best way to implement it. Let's just hope it's not some crap like "Darius joins forces with Razor to take you down" :roll:

It's just the end of CARBON answered a lot of questions, but didn't leave many unanswered, so how will they "continue" the story in the form of a new game?
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Maybe Caleb is going to go to the city and then find out that you are here and so will try and make attempts to take you down while at the same time become leader of the streets. I know I'm thinking way back to U2 but who knows, maybe someone from the past who most will have forgotten will make a big comeback.

Or like I said before, it could just be a new boss.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

I'm personally for more detailed cutscenes with more emphasis on the intensity of rivals and races. Not the "cars block you and the crew leader comes in" type as seen in Carbon.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

maybe the story goes the other way around and now "Player" from Underground-Carbon is some sort of boss and we just are different racers, so it could justify the "creating your avatar" thing.
also the game is online only so no offline career unless they somehow change their mind but that would most likely involve the game stopping being free anymore.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Racemaniac wrote:Maybe Caleb is going to go to the city and then find out that you are here and so will try and make attempts to take you down while at the same time become leader of the streets. I know I'm thinking way back to U2 but who knows, maybe someone from the past who most will have forgotten will make a big comeback.

Or like I said before, it could just be a new boss.
Yeah but if it was a new boss, how would it be connected to the previous games? I know MW and C had different bosses, but the escape to a new town and the Cross thing intertwined the 2 stories, but I can't see them doing something like that again.
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Like you said, there aren't any more possibilities of linking stories from previous game to this and so reusing bosses so hopefully we'll have someone new or maybe like it was in Carbon we are back in the city to reclaim the city(s) as our own as we had headed off to for example Tri City for some opportunities and then someone we befriend mentions a 'brief' track racing stint (Shift or maybe Prostreet) or something similar. In the end it'll be a story similar to Carbon only this time its both the cities we're going to reclaim.

As for bosses. My idea is that we come to reclaim the city and the current boss, maybe Caleb, doesn't know until we win a couple of races and earn some rep after which he is determined to find out who this new racer is. Then he'll find out its us and then he'll want revenge so it becomes a one-on-one and we win. Then throughout the career he will indirectly make attempts to stop our career such as sending a gang of goons after us to wreck our ride or tampering with our car and such.

Those are my thoughts on the story :wink:
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Racemaniac wrote:As for bosses. My idea is that we come to reclaim the city and the current boss, maybe Caleb, doesn't know until we win a couple of races and earn some rep after which he is determined to find out who this new racer is. Then he'll find out its us and then he'll want revenge so it becomes a one-on-one and we win. Then throughout the career he will indirectly make attempts to stop our career such as sending a gang of goons after us to wreck our ride or tampering with our car and such.
Maybe after being well into career Caleb will challenge the player again, the player will win BUT, Cross returns. (it'd be nice to see him again)

Then Cross and Caleb's goons will follow you until a certain destination where you'll have to take them down through various means (pursuit breaker or the regular push-into-wall technique).

After that, the police will chase you and Caleb. Caleb will get totaled, but the player evades and hides in a safehouse the other side of town or something.

Of course, this is all just fan-fiction but I thought it'd be nice.
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

That is a great idea. The part about hiding in the safehouse could literally mean hiding on the other side of town as we could get some pretty good pursuits due to the size of the map so maybe this will be similar to the final pursuit of MW or so.

By the way, what you described is in one mission or in parts? it would be fun but a bit long if it was one mission.

Has anyone wondered that maybe the NFS Team will take some of our ideas into consideration? After all, they have told many times that they look at NFS fan websites and NFSUnlimited is the one recurring name that is given there, most of the time anyway.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Mmmm well a story isn't really something that they can construct through lots of peoples ideas, and plus, where would all the suprises be if we created the storyline?

I'm sure they'll pay people to come up with a better story than we can come up with xD
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Now that you mention it you're actually right.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Indeed, but now come to think about it, HOW would the story work in online only game, and all the player-player interaction.
you beat caleb and then you drive around and see someone else beat him again?
also it would be especially nice if they really took some of our ideas into consideration.
say, is it better for the tier/class the car belongs to to decide its performance, or should it be the other way around, cars performance decides where the car ends up.(i mean real performance, not 390 km/h lexus is300)
maybe change the classes to be like in Shift, tiers based on real performance, and Japanese/American/European dividing.
i have my doubts on the case of story in World Online and i wonder how will the game look storyline-side.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:But how would the storyline work in an MMO? Will every racer be doing the same plot?
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

Racemaniac wrote:Maybe its with a usual career mode and the choice to play online. On the main menu you could possibly have two options to play online or in the offline career.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Racemaniac wrote:
Racemaniac wrote:Maybe its with a usual career mode and the choice to play online. On the main menu you could possibly have two options to play online or in the offline career.
i think they are making the game online only, otherwise how could it be free then?

Return to “World”