Beta Testing talking

2010 Need for Speed World
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Re: Beta Testing talking

Post by Racemaniac »

First of all, I really think they should drop the powerups, the Traffic Magnet and One More Lap powerup but keep the NOS which comes in bars and once finished cannot be reused. Maybe for this they can do something similar to Midnight Club LA in which you could just drive through a petrol station and get one bar of nitrous refilled automatically, it really is helpful.

What else is there, graphics are looking good based upon the pictures I've seen in this thread. The vinyl customization system sounds great as it looks like it is made for the PC only.

As for traffic going at 100 km/h isn't something new, and it is on normal roads as well. I saw some of the Asian beta videos in which you could see that on normal city roads, traffic speeds were around 100 km/h, hope they reduce it to around 50-60 km/h.

Layer limit is awful. Hopefully it is only for the beta.

A question from me, is there any day/night cycle present in the beta, or weather effects?

In this picture of ElvenAvenger's, did anybody notice the poster at the bottom right of the "H" in "Hipsters?" I laughed at it.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

"As an example of how seriously we take this shared effort, I’d like to announce that we’ll be asking you, the NFS community, to model a car for launch. We’ve seen some of the amazing work you’ve done with our PC games once they’ve shipped and we’d like to showcase some of that work in World. Our good friends at Porsche have agreed to give players the chance to model the 959 for inclusion in the game and get credit for their creation. NFSDrew will be posting the details a bit later, so keep an eye out. I can’t wait to see what you come up with!"
a part of article posted at World's official site. if i understand it correctly, it means the community will make a Porsche 959 for World and the car might be included in the full version?

@Racemaniac
no day/night cycle so far, and no weather effects. also there is no smoke from tires.
also with such vinyl system, if the layer limit is raised then making DETAILED replicas, or even your own designs will be far easier, faster, and give better results.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

Graphics look good, but 20 vinyl layers? Wow... also the power-ups make me think of Blur, maybe they borrowed that from there? XD
2furio
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by 2furio »

I totally forgot the Beta is taking place this weekend and I was even chosen for it. Well, I'm downloading it right now. I can still play for a day to see how it runs.

Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Well I've been playing World lately, and here's my opinion: :)

The game looks good for a BETA, there aren't that many bugs and so far the game haven't crashed/lagged for me once. The traffic is what seems to be more bugged lol, they drive really fast (even when cornering), they spin out of control, crash head on into walls and other cars, even do some crazy tricks like using only two wheels (yeah I saw that). It's funny to watch the traffic, but of course they will fix that. :P

The whole concept of World is interesting and they did a good job joining the cities of Carbon and Most Wanted. Even though you can recognize almost all places, they re-textured everything and eve redo some parts with new buildings and roads to connect both cities. The graphics look good, but the cars seem a bit low detailed at the moment, especially the traffic cars. I hope they improve that. One thing you notice related to graphics is the lack of smoke.

The HUD looks nice, but can be a little confusing at first. There are still some improvements to be made here IMO, for example in race/sprint it would be useful to have the time that your opponents are from you, like pretty much all racing games have. The overall UI system is also good, not far from that what we have seen lately in SHIFT.

As for the handling, well I was secretly hoping they would use the same handling as in Most Wanted, which I simply loved. It's not the case, the handling seems to be borrowed from Carbon and tweaked a bit. It's fun to play, that's for sure, but it's a bit too easy and it "forgives" most mistakes. They could have done something a bit more harder, but ok.

The vinyl system is indeed very good, there are tons of vinyls in the BETA, and the fact that you can use the mouse to adjust the vinyls is a great addition. There is also the mirror option. I just didn't know about the layer limit, and that's really bad. I hope they increase it...

I have to disagree with you guys about the power ups. I think they are a nice addition, even though I wasn't expecting them. The traffic magnet might sound stupid but it's fun, and once you get used to it, it's easy to dodge the traffic. The "add 1 more lap" is also interesting, especially if you're not in 1st place. It might sound unfair at first, but I like it, it makes things more interesting. Pretty much anyone can grab a car and start wining races, so this makes things more difficult. :)

And that's my opinion about Need for Speed World. Let's see what will they bring in the next BETA session, but so far so good. :)
Zero260
Drift King
Drift King

Post by Zero260 »

I haven't been able to play...

After I log in and press "Play", the "Initializing Need For Speed World Online" screen comes up... Under that it says "Dataset Updated" and then it just stops. When I alt+tab out, there's an error message: "Disconnected from server. Game will be shut down."

According to EA, it's a known issue and it is supposedly when there are too many players online. They say to just try again throughout the day. Well I have been trying all yesterday and today - even late last night during what I figured would be off hours, and I still haven't been able to play.

Has anyone else been experiencing this?

Edit: Upon some further research, I found out that some accounts aren't being activated properly. I simply e-mailed Drew, the head community guy, and he cleared things up so now it's working just fine. So if you are experiencing this problem, shoot Drew an e-mail with the e-mail address that you use to log in and he'll get things going for you. I don't remember the e-mail address off the top of my head, but you can easily find it on the NFS website or forums.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

May I ask about the handling? Is it as sensitive as Undercover?
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Well I shouldn't really answer this one because I'm not actually one of the beta testers, but supposedly it's very similar to the handling and physics of Most Wanted and Carbon, like a hybrid of the 2 games. From the gameplay video's the game did look to be a bit touchy, but maybe the people racing were one of those "tap tap tap" keyboard steerers.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Andre_online wrote:May I ask about the handling? Is it as sensitive as Undercover?
its a bit like Carbon, but with some MW feel. the cars dont flip over if you do a 180 when driving backwards anymore, they stick to the ground properly, no exagerrated tuner handling, no exagerrated tire screech(finally... :P ) they are not as sensitive as Undercover. you could say its either modded MW physics or modded(and fixed) carbon physics. either way, i think they are great. speaking of carbon physics, theres no more tuner/exotic/muscle handling. they went the good way, each car has its own handling, just tier 1-2-3(maybe 4? i dont know..)
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Hmm, I don't know, I think I liked the tuner/exotic/muscle handling thing, it gave the different car groups different flavours, and really distinguished them. They may have been exxagerated but I liked it.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Hmm, I don't know, I think I liked the tuner/exotic/muscle handling thing, it gave the different car groups different flavours, and really distinguished them. They may have been exxagerated but I liked it.
well i understand your opinion but i hated it really, it made all cars from each class handle the same. i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between muscle, tuner, and exotic cars if it wasnt for their outside look in Carbon. finally all cars behave like they should, you feel that the muscle is actually HEAVY, not just having no grip at all(and over exagerrated acceleration), tuners are not glued to the road anymore but still handle great, and exotics are fun to drive too.
though for now nitrous/perfect start affect car handling in a bad way. if your nitrous is still on after landing after a jump, trying to turn results in either a roll over(or near roll over) or 90 degree turn on abnormal speed. and perfect start pushes your car into the ground for some reason, and some cars(m3 GTR) react badly to it. very badly, but that is sure to be fixed in full game or even next beta.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

ElvenAvenger wrote:well i understand your opinion but i hated it really, it made all cars from each class handle the same. i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between muscle, tuner, and exotic cars if it wasnt for their outside look in Carbon. finally all cars behave like they should, you feel that the muscle is actually HEAVY, not just having no grip at all(and over exagerrated acceleration), tuners are not glued to the road anymore but still handle great, and exotics are fun to drive too.
Wait...are you talking about Carbon? Because I thought we were just saying how you hated it because it made each class handle differently...not the same :? So you're saying that the different classes ARE distinguished in World when you say the muscles feel heavy, tuners handle great and exotics are fun to drive?
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:
ElvenAvenger wrote:well i understand your opinion but i hated it really, it made all cars from each class handle the same. i wouldnt be able to tell the difference between muscle, tuner, and exotic cars if it wasnt for their outside look in Carbon. finally all cars behave like they should, you feel that the muscle is actually HEAVY, not just having no grip at all(and over exagerrated acceleration), tuners are not glued to the road anymore but still handle great, and exotics are fun to drive too.
Wait...are you talking about Carbon? Because I thought we were just saying how you hated it because it made each class handle differently...not the same :? So you're saying that the different classes ARE distinguished in World when you say the muscles feel heavy, tuners handle great and exotics are fun to drive?
what i mean is there is no stupid "all muscles accelerate to 100 km/h(60 mph) in 1.5 sec, all tuners are glued to road and all exotics have rocket top speed". now each car is to its own with handling. Lotus Elise handles like it should, Eclipse GT handles like it should, does not slow down to turtle speed each corner, and dodge charger does actually have some tires now, instead of driving like it drove on ice.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Ah great, so it actually distinguises the cars MORE now, I thought you were saying it didn't. That's great then :wink:
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Ah great, so it actually distinguises the cars MORE now, I thought you were saying it didn't. That's great then :wink:
simply put, cars are cars, and you can differ a Charger from <any other muscle car here>. and thats what i like.

stupid question time, is the Eclipse GT AWD , RWD, or FWD?
Racemaniac
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by Racemaniac »

The Eclipse GT (4th Generation) is FWD (front-wheel drive for those who don't know).

I have a question, did somebody mention that if you drive past the cops they won't start chasing you? Or is it that they will still chase you if you drive past them? Or is it that there is some action that has to be performed to trigger the chase?
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Racemaniac wrote:The Eclipse GT (4th Generation) is FWD (front-wheel drive for those who don't know).

I have a question, did somebody mention that if you drive past the cops they won't start chasing you? Or is it that they will still chase you if you drive past them? Or is it that there is some action that has to be performed to trigger the chase?
Cops would chase you in beta only if you hit them.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

Cops were pretty dumb in the BETA. :D

Along with the civilians lol... once I saw one of them pass me on two wheels. :lol:
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Well obviously it is the beta, so you can't expect a finished product - like they'd release a game where you could whizz past the cops at 200 km/h and not start a chase.
DMNBT
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by DMNBT »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Well obviously it is the beta, so you can't expect a finished product - like they'd release a game where you could whizz past the cops at 200 km/h and not start a chase.
Undercover PS2/Wii says Hi.
vegettoxp
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by vegettoxp »

Hey Guys, I was trying to signup for the Beta, but I am getting Page Can Not Be Displayed. Any Problems?
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

@DMNT - These days a lot of multiplatform releases are very bad quality on the wii and PS2, so that can't really be counted.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:@DMNT - These days a lot of multiplatform releases are very bad quality on the wii and PS2, so that can't really be counted.
right, they are just done to earn money off the title and reputation of other platform versions(does not apply to Undercover, i didnt even see any positive reviews of this one) so in case of Undercover its just trying to get money from people who will buy it because of "Need For Speed" in title.
Bojan
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Bojan »

During beta gameplay my PC literally turns off. Is a faulty PSU most likely the problem? It doesn't happen elsewhere...
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Bojan wrote:During beta gameplay my PC literally turns off. Is a faulty PSU most likely the problem? It doesn't happen elsewhere...
a faulty PSU can be the problem, it happened on my old PSU(along with older parts) when i was playing more demanding games, though i dont know what your specs are so i cant tell if it is World being too demanding. i

Return to “World”