Beta Testing talking

2010 Need for Speed World
xturbo
Professional
Professional

Beta Testing talking

Post by xturbo »

Yep, as the title says, EA is or was offering an opportunity to beta test NFS World -> http://www.needforspeed.com/web/world and I thought it would be a good idea to get some information from the people who is beta testing. Maybe they will get attached or are attached to a NDA (Non Disclosure Agreement) but if not, this is the place. I applied too, so I think it would be great if we can share info about it or at least have the impression of what the Beta is, requirements, performance, etc.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Re: Beta Testing talking

Post by Nitrodemon McLaren »

I whitelisted myself for the beta, but I have yet to receive my email...
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

i applied too, but haven't got any emails stating i got in yet so they are still picking...i think.
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

Actually, I found out the reason.

The beta subscriptions begin February, the beta invitations don't begin until March.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Nitrodemon McLaren wrote:Actually, I found out the reason.

The beta subscriptions begin February, the beta invitations don't begin until March.
oh....good to know, thanks.
mean2u
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by mean2u »

Just got this in my email inbox earlier. Anyone else get this too?

_BLAHHEAD_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by _BLAHHEAD_ »

I got mine, downloading now...
Andriy242
Stock
Stock

Post by Andriy242 »

I just got mine in the email today. cant wait to play it on the 5th
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Dr Houbenheimer »

Tell us how it plays! I can't wait to hear about it :P
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Dr Houbenheimer wrote:Tell us how it plays! I can't wait to hear about it :P
+1. im slightly jealous :oops: that i didnt get in<i assume that if you are chosen you get the mail today as everyone else>
rody9933
Ricer
Ricer

Post by rody9933 »

I've got mine to :mrgreen: :mrgreen: .
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

I also got the email too! Nice surprise hehe, I guess my studies for tonight will have to wait a few more hours. I can't resist playing this game... :D
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Hydro_PT wrote:I also got the email too! Nice surprise hehe, I guess my studies for tonight will have to wait a few more hours. I can't resist playing this game... :D
i got it but i have a problem
im clicking Download Now
download page loads and error shows up that this area is restricted , only closed beta members can get in. if you are a closed beta member log in on top right, so i logged in and it still appears. logged out and logged in few times it still appears. refreshed page, still appears. so im kind of stuck there wondering what might be the problem, if im unable to get it maybe ill have to ask someone to send the launcher<probably 7.9 mb> via PM so i can download the game and be prepared for friday. if you need proof i can provide screen of the mail and stuff.
Hydro_PT
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Post by Hydro_PT »

You better ask for help at the forums. Maybe you got the email by mistake? It's hard to believe in that, but it might have happened.

Btw I was just checking the folders to see what kind of cars we would have for the BETA and so on. I saw some pretty cool stuff, some interesting icons, the entire map, and so on. I really can't wait to play... too bad it will only start next Friday. :(
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

Hydro_PT wrote:You better ask for help at the forums. Maybe you got the email by mistake? It's hard to believe in that, but it might have happened.

Btw I was just checking the folders to see what kind of cars we would have for the BETA and so on. I saw some pretty cool stuff, some interesting icons, the entire map, and so on. I really can't wait to play... too bad it will only start next Friday. :(
talk about doing things too fast...i logged in with DIFFERENT ea account than i applied to beta with. #-o well thanks for trying to help but problem solved fairly itself.

its normal that the game crashes right on startup right? its due to the servers not being up yet?

right...i read the Launcher log and it says there was error downloading file nfswo.exe..maybe this is the cause? but i tried to re-install a few times already. :?
Nitrodemon McLaren
Drift King
Drift King

...I didn't get mine yet I supposedly got whitelisted by Bojan. Hmmm.

Well, I use Yahoo! Mail... maybe it got lost. =|
jayson74
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by jayson74 »

Didn't get in on the first round of the beta either. I thought I had gotten on the whitelist as well. Oh well.
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

so far the game been good-to-great , the bugs are not game breaking, atleast all but one. at first the game worked flawlessly, 60 fps, etc. but after a few hours, the longer i played the more laggy the game was to the point of constantly stuttering. a simple "Exit the game and log in again" helped but still.

the driving model seems to be from Carbon and MW, there are no weird physics bugs from Carbon (just try to drive fast in reverse and then do a 180 degree spin in Carbon with all 3 classes of cars)
and overall its enjoyable.

carlist of beta is...good.
BMW M3 GTR
Lamborghini Gallardo LP 560
Nissan GT-R R35
Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
Dodge Charger 69
Volkswagen Golf R32
Mazdaspeed 3
Porsche Cayman S
Lotus Elise
+tuned versions of all those cars but not BMW M3 GTR, it seems to be a tuned version limited only.
*Bmw M3 GTR is how the car is named in the game, but the bodykit looks like the WideBodykit of BMW M3 in Pro Street, so i think we might be able to tune it in the real game.

the car performance seems to be rather fine but top speeds are VERY limited in my opinion. BMW M3 GTR maxes out at 277 Km/h, so does Gallardo LP 560 and R35. and that is speaking of TUNED versions. tuned RX-7 has a max speed of 232 which is a bit too low , seeing as a stock Eclipse GT maxes out at 217 km/h.

graphics are good, but you probably seen them on gameplay videos from asian beta so theres nothing to speak about really.

then theres the vinyl system. now you move, skew, size, and rotate the vinyls with mouse. you click on the vinyl you want, pull it on the car, then move it around with your mouse, and customize it with your mouse too. i didnt quite expect something like that, its fresh and more importantly...good. and yes, there is mirror option.

traffic in the game is going constantly about 100 km/h which leads to funny situations, and more often than not they do crazy stunts if you look for a bit longer.

and its time for powerups...

Nitrous powerup: quite obvious, works the way it worked in Pro Street.

traffic magnet powerup: i honestly hate that one, after using it leader of the race is covered in some weird magnetic aura along with a big magnet hovering above him, which makes traffic cars from opposing lane<direction> crash into him on purpose. very annoying and in my opinion stupid.

one more lap powerup: usable on last lap, it essentialy adds ANOTHER lap to the race(does not work on sprint). only usable once per race, and only ONE racer may use it. so the races only can get 1 more lap, it is suppose to allow you to catch up to leader or "improve your lead" though the latter seems to be pointless, you want to finish the race, not lenghten it potentially losing it.

then theres pursuit powerups, one of them can fix your tires after they have been punctured. one helps you escape if you are boxed in by cops and last one gives you instant cooldown(once you enter cooldown mode you use it and the pursuit ends immediately)

there is one more i saw, "radar" powerup, that just shows all cops 100 yards around you while in free roam. i doubt its usefullness in beta as you only enter pursuits by ramming cops, other than that you are free to do anything near cops and they will just drive away or stand and watch.

what a wall of text...:oops:
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Well, thanks for the insight Elven, it sounds like the core elements are really good. I'm sure that lagging issue will be fixed prior to release, because it seems like a big problem. The top speeds do sound pretty low, but maybe they did that for gameplay purposes seeing it's an MMO? We'll have to watch this space in regards to that one.

Vinyl system sounds awesome, I was just thinking before I jumped on the computer the advantages they could have designing a vinyl system solely for the computer, I mean the imput of a keyboard and mouse could give a lot of creative freedom, almost photoshop-esque freedom in designing rides, and it sounds they've been smart and thought about it here.

Traffic seems a bit dodgy, whether that is actually a glitch or not remains to be seen, but is this just on highways or are we talking about 100 km/h traffic on more suburban roads as well? If so, that would be a bit ludicrus.

My only niggle though is this 'powerups' idea, I mean stuff like the traffic magnet and one more lap powerup are just plain stupid in my opinion, it might've fitted into an arcade game like nitro, but even though the driving of World is on the arcade side, you still want a sense of beleivablity. I think those 2, and in fact, all of them, would hinder the gameplay, being completely counterproductive seeing as the idea behind them is to enhance the gameplay.

I'm silently praying they bring back the good old 'nos and speedbreaker' bars instead of any of this crap they've introduced. Traffic magnet is just the worst for me, to put it bluntly, wtf were they thinking! And 1 more lap is stupid as well, everyones racing strategy is based on what position they are and how far through the race they are, so adding another lap without notice just ruins the whole idea there. And plus, you're gonna get the person in 2nd place using that powerup every single race aren't you? Stupid, stupid idea imo.

Anyway, back to the game as a whole, it's sounding great, just told you my 2 cents worth about the powerups.
mean2u
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by mean2u »

The game has pretty good graphics and it's pretty cool to see an MMO version of NFS Most Wanted, but currently there is no customization besides painting your car's body and wheels or vinyls. At this point in time it seems like all you really do in the game is chat and grind money for higher tier cars. It's already kind of boring.

Servers are going down within the hour for maintenance.

Well, see ya guys in game I guess. I'm in as Poopsock. :)
_BLAHHEAD_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by _BLAHHEAD_ »

Game is pretty good so far, but there isn't much to do right now. The vinyl system is really good, vinyls flows like water on your car, very easy to manipulate. I've only made a simple two-tone paint for my Mazda 3 right now, but I'm sure it can do much more complicated things. Not sure about layer limit though. The driving is much like MW and Carbon and the graphics are decent. There are some weird traffic bugs, like during a race, a truck was doing donuts in the middle of the road ( a SMALL road). The power ups are... interesting. Traffic magnet is actually really easy to dodge, so I can't really complain about it.
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

Hmm yeah, well it is the beta, isn't it. We still have a whole 9 months to wait before the release. Let's just hope they fix up all the crap before then and give us some good content to play with.

With the lack of custimization at this point (no performance upgrades in the beta I think I heard from someone and no bodyparts as yet) I guess they're still working on them, or at the very least not giving us a look at them. One of the points in the FAQ is that it will have the most parts out of any NFS game to date - I think that would be hard to do without improving on their current tally of...0 (that's not inluding rims of course).

And _BLAHHEAD - you say your 'not sure' about the layer limit of the vinyl system....do you mean it's a small number or you actually don't know at all.

Oh, and poopsock, love the avatar in the screenshot xD
_BLAHHEAD_
Turbo Charged
Turbo Charged

Post by _BLAHHEAD_ »

I found out the layer limit, it's 20 :( Anyways if you spot a white elise with a black hood, that's me...
Dr Houbenheimer
NFSUnlimited Staff
NFSUnlimited Staff

20? Oh my god...downgrading from a previous game isn't exactly a way to move forward. If SHIFT can have 1000 why can't we....
ElvenAvenger
Drift King
Drift King

Post by ElvenAvenger »

_BLAHHEAD_ wrote:I found out the layer limit, it's 20 :( Anyways if you spot a white elise with a black hood, that's me...
hopefully its only beta-limited limit(yeah, limited limit.. #-o )
i find the powerups stupid, first 2 races i won because no one would use powerups just yet. then next race, i get in front=MAGNET=5 cars and a wall in my face. now im not thinking this way: get in front and stay there. now its more like: keep just behind the leader and take the win right before the end. it would be far better if NOS was like in Pro Street, not a powerup, but a buyable part that recharges after/before each race.
now i wonder how will they solve unlocking cars. after i got to level 9 i had every car avaible, at level 10 i just got a few tracks. oh, leveling up does block off lower level tracks so if your friend just began playing, you can't even race him with a tier 1 car because your level is xx.

Screen name is ElvenAvenger.

you guys probably saw it coming... Image

Return to “World”