New video and new news

The news visible on Underground Movie Production main page.
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

New video and new news

Post by Sp3aK »

Well first order of business is the latest video. It's really a great video with good quality and of a decent length. Too bad all submissions weren't like this. Meh!

Sorry to skip straight to the next order of business but I think it's time I give my State of the Movies address.

Starting back in April of '04, this site was created with the original intention to bring a new type of site to the online NFS community. Although it was a slow start, the reputation of the site grew fairly well and became, as far as I know, the site to go to for NFS Underground movies. I soon got a contact at EA that helped this process very much, as well as quite a bit of aid and encouragement from bobyx, the owner of our parent site, NFSUnlimited. As of right now there is 124 movies, and 2 tutorials on the site. I've created 16 myself. We've had a large user response with a total of 155,000 unique hits since I put up the stats. Our download count for all videos is in the hundreds of thousands with several videos over a thousand downlaods themselves. GT3x24x7, UrQuattro, and even Sergio who was only around for a short time were an incredible help to overall running of the site.

All that said, I feel that at this time I've simply lost interest in the site as overall and don't have much of an interest in developing movies anymore. I feel that the next best thing for me, as well as the site, is to just let it work itself out. I'll still keep it open to user submissions, but the chances of myself or anyone on staff making a video in the near future is very slim. I could very well just simply remove the site, but I think it's best to just leave it up, and let whatever happen, happen. I will still monitor the downloads. comments, and general site statistics, but updates will be few and far between. It seems that several sites take this road, being popular for a time, then jsut fazing out, and this seems to be another one of those sites. It didn't quite last a year, but it lasted as long as it needed to and in the end, I'm very proud of what I have learned and accomplished with the site.

I encourage anyone who is remotely interested in making videos to give it a shot, because it can be great fun. I don't really feel sad at this point, as I write this I am smiling, because as I said before, I feel as if I have accomplished something halfway decent.

UMP, I hate you all :)
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada (Yes I live in an Igloo, moron)

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

Great vid, I like the beginning part.

Please do a tutorial on how you get those camera angles.

Also I get an error when I try the Tutorials link.
The following HTTP request could not be processed because of a 404 Error:

http://movies.nfsunlimited.net/tutorials.php

edgenetwork.org - movies.nfsunlimited.net
EDIT: Ah it was the one at the top not on the main page left side.

correct link is http://movies.nfsunlimited.net/pafiledb ... egory&id=8
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Sorry abuot that and thanks for pointing it out I will change it right now.

Yeah it'd be nice if someone said how to get those angles, cuz I don't know myself, lol.
Stereo
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Stereo »

Hey, don't feel bad about people not making movies. I'm in the progress of making one but I have very little clips... Its another crashing movie.

Maybe lots of people are making movies and are just in progress. Wait and see more movies... :)
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

I'd be making movies as well, if I had some help with camera angles.
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

Post by 5252 Productions »

C8H10N4HO2O2 wrote:Great vid, I like the beginning part.

Please do a tutorial on how you get those camera angles.
I was using Racer_S' NFSU2 +10 Trainer. The trainer allows the car to be jumped to any height desired, although after a certain height (or if jumped to quickly) the car starts tumbling. The trainer will also toggle the camera lock allowing the car to be driven while the camera stays at one point. By jumping the car and then unlocking the camera it is possible to get all kind of camera angles.

In some of the city shots the textures are messed up (see highlighted area in above picture). I am not sure if this is a problem with the game or because at the time of recording my PC was overheating. In certain areas, such as the top of buildings, there are missing textures to reduce the performance requirements. So some shots have to be adjusted to avoid these areas or far enough away so that it is not noticeable.

If the car starts tumbling this can be used to ones advantage. Once the car starts tumbling the camera can be unlocked at the appropriate time and downward shots can be obtained.

The camera can also be unlocked near the ground at some distance (varies from track to track) from the start/finish line while racing. If the race is restarted the camera position remains at the desired point, and other camera angles are possible. The advantage of this is that during the first lap the cars are closest, making for better shots. However, if done to far away from the start/finish line when the race is restarted all the textures go to hell.

Not exactly a tutorial but there is not a lot to it. I am sure there is a lot more that one could do with this or other trainers.
C8H10N4HO2O2
Drift King
Drift King

Post by C8H10N4HO2O2 »

You're talking about the trainer at the bottom of this page http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blnee ... round2.htm
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by master m »

Amazing movie.
One of the best I've seen so far.

The music fits perfectly with the video-editting
I love it :D :D

Keep making great movies like this
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

C8H10N4HO2O2 wrote:You're talking about the trainer at the bottom of this page http://www.gamewinners.com/DOSWIN/blnee ... round2.htm
Yes, this one:

http://www.gamewinners.com/trainer.php? ... 2trn10.zip
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

master m wrote:Amazing movie.
One of the best I've seen so far.

The music fits perfectly with the video-editting
I love it :D :D

Keep making great movies like this
Thanks a lot, glad you liked it.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

As usual Sp3ak, ver nice production. Best one from you IMO. Great job! :D
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

thanks andre.. but i didnt make it :) props go to 5252 Productions for that...but i'll pretend i did make a movie and accept your kudos :)
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

But you're the one who came out with the concepts, right? Usually I look at the concepts, and this is by far yor best one. :D
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

Andre_online wrote:But you're the one who came out with the concepts, right? Usually I look at the concepts, and this is by far yor best one. :D
The entire clip including concepts, recording, and encoding was done by me. Since a lot more time and effort went into this video than any of my previous video I decided to use 5252 Productions as the author name. Perhaps this will probably be easily confused with UMP, but that is ok. I don’t really care who you thank as long as you liked it, or have useful feedback.

My previous submission was Requiem For Speed although the author name says SS (from my email address space.stormy…).

Anyway, what did you think of the concepts? Any suggestions for areas of improvement?
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Yeah, one question. How did you do a 360 camera rotation while in gameplay?
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

Andre_online wrote:Yeah, one question. How did you do a 360 camera rotation while in gameplay?
I am assuming you are talking about during the credits, where the camera goes from the hood cam to the side/rear camera angles.

Again, using the trainer mentioned above a couple of tricks can be done. Firstly, the trainer allows one to get around barriers during a sprint or circuit race. Once outside the barrier you can drive around the city although there isn’t any traffic.

Secondly, after driving around outside the barriers the replay can be used to get the “automatic camera” angles. However, because you are away from the circuit it looks as though you are driving in “free roam mode”.

So I got outside of the barriers then I drove to the desired area and recorded the replay several times. Once with just the hood camera, and then several times with the “automatic camera”. Afterwards, I was able to choose the camera angles I liked and sync them together as I desired.

I also added different car audio for the credits, I used the Saleen S7 in the GTR Demo v2 because it sounds awesome.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

I see!! So that was the trick, you went through the red barriers! But one problem. I have tried doing that, but after the race ended and the game ignited the replay, the game crashed to the desktop... Any idea why?
5252 Productions
Ricer
Ricer

Andre_online wrote:I see!! So that was the trick, you went through the red barriers! But one problem. I have tried doing that, but after the race ended and the game ignited the replay, the game crashed to the desktop... Any idea why?
No idea, maybe a problem with the game. When I did it, I didn’t wait for the race to end. Once I drove to the area I wanted to record at, I just hit escape and used the in-race replay. Maybe that makes a difference. Also, try a different trainer if that doesn’t work it is probably just the game.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

OK, I'll try that. Thanks for the solution once again, 5! You've been a great help. :)
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

:)

No worries! I think I sort of got everything rolling as far as movies are concerned with this game. But, then again maybe not! I just had the idea, and just.. did it.

Everyone has their own style, my style definately comes through in my videos I think. I take credit for no concepts or ideas in other peoples videos though, thats for sure. Everything I do was made for fun and people can mock me as much as they like :P

Anyways, I've sort of run out of ideas and the will to do it all, like I said before. I've had a bit of "want" to do a new video, but we'll see.
master m
Valued Member
Valued Member

Post by master m »

Yesterday I downloaded the your video "Requiem For Speed " and it is also very good.
But "Childhoods End" is better IMO :)
UrQuattro
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

UMPtastic

Post by UrQuattro »

This is worth braking 3000 posts silence.

Speak, for sure, things change, and we all change and move on, so no problems! I hope you keep the site up, however. There are a few movies of mine that I don't want to lose!

But I've actually been making movies every now and than, just not NFSU related, mostly Richard Burns Rally and Formula1. Some are hosted back at Blackhole, some at UMP which were not advertized, either way, here are the links for those of you interested. I've learned a lot about movie making as well, using Adobe Preimer Pro and learned to extract max FPS from my poor machine. So here you go, the list of my last films:

For Formula1:
1994 Season Review - realistic old effects: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/456
2003 Season Review - very heavy editing and 'scenario': http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/437

For GTR - Real Racing PC Game:
LeMans Learning Vid (funny): http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/446

For Richard Burns Rally:
Markko Martin Impreza 2001 movie: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/474
"One Hairpin" : just a lot of cars doing one turn, with real life sounds, no music - Good one! - http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/466 - around 5500 Dowloads!WRC Season style vid of RBR: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/405
Peugeot 206/Lancer Evo movie: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/449
Toyota Corolla WRC with pacenotes movie: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/447
Citroen Xsara WRC movie: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/448
Hyundai Accent WRC movie: http://www.bhmotorsports.com/movie/451

I hope you have fun Speak with your new adventures. May the force be with you! :D :twisted: 8)
Last edited by UrQuattro on 27 Mar 2005, 14:17, edited 2 times in total.
Andre_online
Unbeatable
Unbeatable

Post by Andre_online »

Welcome back, UrQ! :D
Sp3aK
UMP Owner
UMP Owner

Post by Sp3aK »

Aye... I've decided to keep the site up but I won't be updating much at all. I don't even go mull around the site except for once or twice a week.

With my Volvo turbo project NFS has been brought to real life (not really), and school/work is taking up alot of my time. Plus I'm tired all the time, meh.

If I decide to "take the site down" all that will really happy is a redirect straight to the database page and it will just have the DB and the files up, the rest of the site doesn't serve much of a purpose. But it may be a while before that happens.

Return to “UMP News”